Hypertension meds have got my life on hold

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone, I was diagnosed with hypertension in January 2017 and although the BP is now controlled, the side effects of the medication have essentially made me physically impaired.

Although I wasn't aware of any symptoms for HBP, I went to A & E as I had a pain behind my eye along with a blurring of vision - upon examination, I was found to have a BP of 250/110, a retinal haemorrhage and was immediately hospitalised. After a ten day stay the MRI, CT, Ultrasound, Echocardiogram, ECG and Renal Angiogram found nothing out of the ordinary - apart from being a little overweight, everything is A1.

Leaving hospital, I was taking Amlodopine, Doxazosin and Hydralazine - after swelling and bowel problems Amlodopine was dropped and replaced with Losartan and Lercanidipine. I also dropped salt and caffeine from my diet and very rarely had alcohol - and I've never smoked in my life. For nearly a year my daily meds were 50mg Hydralazine, 150mg Losartan, 10mg Lercanidipine and 8mg Doxazosin - BP was maintained at around 140/85. However, side effects were muscle pains, back ache, palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness and general total lack of energy - these could come on when immobile or up and about but were generally much worse once on my feet. Walking from my car into a shop and back (maybe 200 yards) was like a cross country run - I'd collapse into my seat, pains in my limbs and struggling for breath.

Also there'd be incidents were I couldn't speak and breathe at the same time but largely, normal physical activity was out.

With my GP's permission I reduced my Doxazosin and have now successfully removed it with no increase in BP and lowered the Hydralazine to 25mg too - the side effects are now more moderate but still prevent me from the level of activity I once had.

I accept that I need to keep my BP in check but I also want my life back - I was assured in hospital that controlled BP would have no impact on my life at all but this is far from the truth.

Does anyone have any advice based on similar experience as I'm at my wits end with it?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If you didn't have the dizzyness and rapid heartbeat before the meds, then the only option is to drop one at a time to see which one is causing it.

• Posted

I suspect the hydralazine.
    • Posted

I will try various reductions over the coming weeks and see if I can establish a consistent pattern and report back here.
  • Posted

Hi wayne08874...First off., about 99.9% of people do not have symptoms of high blood pressure, which is why it's called the 'silent killer'. People can feel absolutely great, but unbeknownst to them, their bp is so high it's frightening. High bp most certainly CAN cause eye problems, so it's possible the high bp caused the issue with your eye.

Doxazosin can cause dizziness..depending on the strength you take. I take 1mg/day..& don't have a problem, but when first starting, it's suggested that one take the first tablet at night to see how it goes. Be careful getting out of bed, don't rush..Right from the get-go I was ok with this med & take it with the rest while having breakfast. That way, I know all my pills have been taken, & there's no worry about missing any. If you refer to the forum on Amlodipine, you'll see a myriad of problems people are experiencing. It has a very common side-effect of swelling ankles/fee/legs. I was ok on just the 5mg but when my then-Dr. increased the dose to 10mg (the 5 mg wasn't controlling the bp), my ankles/feet/legs swelled like you wouldn't believe. Other people have no problem with it, but again, read the forum. 

To be quite honest, I've been on bp medications since late 2013, & I must say that since that time, I haven't truly felt normal. There's always a feeling of a light 'fog' so to speak. If you don't know this already, bp fluctuates by the minute. You can have a reading of 120/80 one minute, then say 135/75 the next. You may have a day where it's running a little high, due to things you may have on your mind, etc., then it may level out. If you're at all anxious, expect higher readings., & you can also get higher readings just because you're at the Dr. office. I'm not at all familiar with Lercanidipine. at all. I've read some not so implimentary things about the Hydralazine too. Is that a diuretic??? 

I think you're doing the right thing by exercising to a degree, reducing  your weight. I just wish the pharmaceutical companies would develop a bp pill...just one., that would suit everyone..no side effects, etc.etc. yet it would control the bp beautifully.That won't happen because the more drugs they produce, the more money they make.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Mike. As far as I know Hydralazine is a vasodilator not a diuretic but one doctor did wonder why I was on it at all.

Yes, I follow that BP is endless variable - I don't worry about variations of 10 to 15 and it is in check now (apart from the 207/147 at a health check) but the side effects are crippling.

Regarding the "fog" - my cognitive perception has been on the slide for the last 5 years - inability to concentrate, terrible memory, struggling for the right words and it got worse when I started with the meds.

I think the main problematic drug was Doxazosin though and I'm glad I've removed that one from the mix.

• Posted

wayne08874...ok, Hydralazine is a vasodilator, which opens the arteries to enable blood flow even better, which in turn lowers bp. What I don't understand is that you are taking other bp meds., so why the need for a vasodilator. This could be the culprit that's causing you to feel horrid. Why not ask your doctor about coming off of it??? 

• Posted

Hello Mike, yes, I've already halved the Hydralazine and it hasn't effected my BP so maybe I'll reduce it further. The trick is, when taking 3 types of drug, which one should be reduced? It's going to be trial and error for a long while but my GP has given me the green light to reduce dosage as long as I closely monitor my BP.

• Posted

I would suggest..& it's just my suggestion..that you continue to reduce the Hydralazine. You've already stated that it so-far hasn't affected your BP, but its important to keep tabs on it. If you find that you feel better after reducing or eliminating the Hydralazine, then you'll know this is the enemy.

• Posted

I have been on BP  meds for 24 years, after having blurred vision and then it was 220/115.   I was well controlled on meds until,2 years ago when I developed a bradycardia and had to come off Bisoprolol.   I then realised my lack of sleep due to going to the loo 5 - 7 times a night wasn’t me ageing but a side effect off Amlodopine so,I ended up of all my meds.   I ended up with a fast heart rate for a year, it’s now fine again, however my BP went high again which was very scary.   After 6 difficult months, I,am on Losartan 100mg and Feledopine 5mg slow release, they have made me feel tired but the alternative is worse. 
    • Posted

Now I've read a bit on the forum it seems many people just can't get a simple solution to tackle their BP - it seems a minefield just even getting the right medication and balancing it.

• Posted

Oh Wayne, I can so relate to this.  I'm 45 and about 2st overweight - really active though, cycling, tennis, cricket.  Never smoked, occasional drinker of fine ales! Went to the GP last May feeling lousy, with constant headaches, had the wellman check up, all good, cholesterol ok, liver/kidneys/bloods ok, and then as an after thought, the district nurse took my BP: 180/115.  Given meds right away - 5mg amlodipine

Once I'd overcome the initial side effects, the BP came down to normal, and I lost the 2st by ditching bread and sugar, and hitting the cross trainer.  I thought I'd cracked it, so my the end of the summer I let my diet go, and by Xmas I'd gained the 2st back again, and what's more was feeling lousy again, and my BP monitor was giving me higher readings. 

I went back to the doc, and was given losartan 25mg to add to the now 10mg amlodipine, which sent me bandy.  On review the doc dropped the amlodipine back to 5mg.  That was back in March, and I feel your pain.  I'm knackered all the time, not sleeping well, suffering with ankle and knee pain, weird chest pain that feels like a stitch (ECG came back normal) and of course my weight isn't dropping fast because I'm literally coming home from work and falling asleep.  

My next steps are now to ditch the bread again, and to force myself to get to the gym, no matter how rough I feel.  I believe myself to be in the cycle where I won't feel better again until I'm off the medication (or at least earned a reduction in dosage) and that won't happen unless I drop that 2 stone again, and I'm going to have just fight that fatigue until I reach the goal, but at the moment I'm pretty miserable.  

Keep going buddy.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply - seems I'm not alone in this afterall. I can almost imagine that being overweight could be a factor here - and like you, I'm 2 stone over my ideal - but really, that's not much is it? A couple of inches off your waist that's all - most people wouldn't see a difference.

The problem I have with exercise is my fear of pushing my heart too hard - when it's pounding like a canon I can't help but think "am I going to go any second?"

That's reinforced by the doctors saying any dizziness, seeing stars, breathlessness, chest pain and I must go to A & E straightway - which I've done only once because after getting there everything seemed ok.

I've reduced my Losartan dose this week so I'll see what that does.

• Posted

Hi Wayne.  I have experienced exactly the same problems.  I have chronic kidney disease stage 4 and my BP is typically 150/70.  I found that although Losartan worked for me a for several months, I became so unwell that I spent much of my time being pushed around in a wheelchair because I couldn't walk more than 100m and easily became breathless. In addition I got joint pain, couldn't raise my arms above my head and couldn't look left or right.  I stopped all my tablets and replace them one by one every three days. I started with Doxazosin 4mg and found that all was well until I got to Losartan; it was that which caused my problem and I have not taken it since.  I cannot take Lercaninidpine because of my very low kidney function.  Furthermore, I don't want to reduce my diastolic reading below 70 because my heart output is then too low to sustain my need for oxygenated blood and also endangers my kidneys.  I haven't had the same horrible symptoms since stopping the Losartan but have changed to felodipine initially 2.5mg but now 5mg.

I suggest that you talk with your GP about coming off Losartan and taking something else.

• Posted

Hello John, yes, I've started to reduce my Losartan now and will monitor to see what effect it has.

I was as physically compromised as you when I came out of hospital but became mobile after a few weeks but in no way capable as I was before.

For me, Doxazosin was the one producing the most side effects - there was a real improvement once I dropped it.

What I take from everybody's experience is that all of these drugs effect people adversely and generally give people a miserable quality of life at the expense of lowering their BP - which in some cases, might not even be necessary.

• Posted

I agree and I know that I am having side effects from the doxazosin - I  feel like crap much of the time. But what to do? My nephrologist sets unachievable bp targets for me and isn't really interested in the quality of my life as long as she sticks to the protocol.  I think I might be better off with a different diet, though I don't overeat and am careful to eat what is generally called a healthy diet, and no tablets but I have yet to discuss that with her.  If I didn't have a kidney problem I would probably adopt the Mediterranean diet.  I think my body, and nature, knows best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.