Hypertension meds have got my life on hold

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone, I was diagnosed with hypertension in January 2017 and although the BP is now controlled, the side effects of the medication have essentially made me physically impaired.

Although I wasn't aware of any symptoms for HBP, I went to A & E as I had a pain behind my eye along with a blurring of vision - upon examination, I was found to have a BP of 250/110, a retinal haemorrhage and was immediately hospitalised. After a ten day stay the MRI, CT, Ultrasound, Echocardiogram, ECG and Renal Angiogram found nothing out of the ordinary - apart from being a little overweight, everything is A1.

Leaving hospital, I was taking Amlodopine, Doxazosin and Hydralazine - after swelling and bowel problems Amlodopine was dropped and replaced with Losartan and Lercanidipine. I also dropped salt and caffeine from my diet and very rarely had alcohol - and I've never smoked in my life. For nearly a year my daily meds were 50mg Hydralazine, 150mg Losartan, 10mg Lercanidipine and 8mg Doxazosin - BP was maintained at around 140/85. However, side effects were muscle pains, back ache, palpitations, shortness of breath, dizziness and general total lack of energy - these could come on when immobile or up and about but were generally much worse once on my feet. Walking from my car into a shop and back (maybe 200 yards) was like a cross country run - I'd collapse into my seat, pains in my limbs and struggling for breath.

Also there'd be incidents were I couldn't speak and breathe at the same time but largely, normal physical activity was out.

With my GP's permission I reduced my Doxazosin and have now successfully removed it with no increase in BP and lowered the Hydralazine to 25mg too - the side effects are now more moderate but still prevent me from the level of activity I once had.

I accept that I need to keep my BP in check but I also want my life back - I was assured in hospital that controlled BP would have no impact on my life at all but this is far from the truth.

Does anyone have any advice based on similar experience as I'm at my wits end with it?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have stuck with the Losartan since last October.  I have felt very tired etc but am feeling much better now, I just have to pace myself but I,walk a lot every day and have started to lose weight again.   I do feel tired but as my nurse says it’s better To slow down a bit rather than have a frazzled brain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.