hypertention meds side effect is hell. i take them off!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was rushed in the hospital last to weeks because my bp elevated to 180/100 the reason. i was exposed to extreme heat.i dont drink to much water and more coffee. after 3 to 4 hrs at the hospital they send me home and told to do some lab test. they prescribe me with amlopidine 10mg after few days worst side effect i encounter feeling weak,palpitation,hotflush leg cramps.dizziness and blurry vision i cant even walk properly. i try to stop the med couple of days and guess what i feel great! then i go for lab test ecg normal fbs 6.64 creatinine 1.49mg/dl. i go to a new dr and they told me to lower the amlopidine to 5mg and they add losartan 50mg.. since i took those med it get worse i feel totally weak and anxious.. so i go for another new dr and she remove the 2 meds and gave me nifedipine 5 mg only.. i feel a litte better but dizziness and leg cramps occur always. i was not active for the past few months and not on the diet.5’7 185.. my normal bp 135-140/75-90 when no meds.. its my 3rd day with nifedipine and i dont like the side effect as well..!Now im doing the dash diet less salt intake more fruits more water.. i Remove my meds 4 days ago and i feel fine just a little dizzy and weak but not as worse as im taking those meds.. i doing exercise daily from my weight is down by 7. may normal bp now wil range to 115-130/70-85. i eat raw garlic daily i wonder if i continue doing like this it will be normal i followed the dash diet. how can i remove the lightheadedness and dizziness and little weak is it the side of the meds or the side effect of the diet?

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

9th day without bp meds still doin fine except for feeling dizzy after meal.. still on das diet low sodium and sugar more water, fruits and exercise a little.. can do 20 push up now and a brisk walk bp 121/73 pulse 83. 
  • Posted

Way to go!...Day 9 & you're still feeling just a little dizzy after eating. Have you monitored the dizziness happening just after eating, but not at any other time? There may be a co-relation here. Keep up the good work!

• Posted

12th day with no meds still doin fine. but now i can drive car properly. still on the dash diet and exercise. 1 day had an anxiety attacked but i reverse it by doing something that will distract it and keep me busy and always think positive my bp rise to 150/103 i did deep breathing and it gradually lowered. its rainy season here in the philippines so i can't go outside for a walk so im doing stretching and in place jogging just to keep my body active. i regularly eat garlic 1 clove per day and more veggies and fruits and i surround my self with people who's fun and happy to be with and giving me more motivation it really helps 

• Posted

anthony83481...So glad things are working out for you. See, I told you...if you refer to one of my previous posts, I suggested to you that when you feel an anxiety attack coming on...do something to distract it, don't let it control you., & keep busy. It worked! You saw for yourself with a reading of 150/103 what the anxiety can do to you. While it was raining, not permitting you to walk, you did something else...that's great! 

I truly don't think you need to eat a garlic clove every day. In time your skin, & perspiration will reek. I think you're doing just fine with the exercise, distraction, & eating in a healthy fashion. Also, you're surrounding yourself with happy people who are fun.

Again, please keep me posted. Way to go,Buddy!

• Posted

hi mike yes it did help me when you told me to distract anxiety so it will not control us it really work buddy thank you for the tips. dizziness reduce when im wearin eye glass only transition glass no grade went to dr to check my eyes it funny im still 20/20 vision as the dr told me but its still kinda blurry. dr told me to take rest and avoid to much gadgets and maybe a side effect of some medicine. bp for today 118/75 pulse 68. still on a diet and brisk exercise.. i will try to remove garlic and replace it with apple cider vinegarr instead. how bout you buddy how you doin? 
    • Posted

Hey Bud...It seems you may be well on your way to licking the problem. Just stay calm & positive.

Distracting ourselves when we feel anxiety creeping in is the best medicine by far. I'm glad you took my advice, & see that it works. 

As for the garlic...truly your skin will start to smell...& people won't want to be near you either. lol lol

Honestly, I don't think you have to replace the garlic with apple cider vinegar. If you're exercising, eating in a healthy fashion, which you are, the bp will stay in the great readings you're getting. You don't need garlic or any other 'spice'. There isn't any scientific evidence that shows garlic, vinegar, etc. lowers bp but if it does., it's very short term. What if you wanted to go on holiday? Can you envision yourself carrying a bottle of vinegar??????...or whipping out a clove of garlic???

Keep on the path  you're on now...you're doing GREAT!!!!

• Posted

Hahaha yes mike i can smell myself to eating to much garlic i remove it.. i continue my diet and exercise last night did a 5km brisk walking with little jog and i felt more energized and refresh blurry vision almost gone and dizziness 16th day no meds. Bp 117/75 pulse 85. More fruits and water thanks buddy
    • Posted

AnthOny B..keep up the good work, buddy!!!...See, I told you, you could do it. No need for garlic or vinegar. Stay on the healthy diet., exercise...be with happy people...You can never go wrong with fruits & vegetables, & lean meats.

Please keep me up to date.

• Posted

21st day without meds still doin fine buddy. but the dizziness still there and sometimes numbeness and tingling in my arms and feet is there. i can play basketball now but i get tired quickly maybe my body is still in recovery. still taking diets and exercise and im thinking of adding fish oil capsule to my diet cause i read alot of good reviews about it and my friends is taking this fish oil capsule. i hope this headache dizziness and numbeness will leave soon.
    • Posted

AnthOny B...Hey Buddy!  It looks like great things are going for you!!!! 

You mentioned tingling/numbness in your arms & feet. That's usually a nerve thing. If you've got something going on in your neck, that can make you feel dizzy& headachy as well.

Really, you should report these things to your doctor. You've obvsiously got your bp under control, so that very likely is not the problem. It also seems you've got a good grip on the anxiety thing.

You could ask your doctor to have an MRI done on your spine...because if any nerves are irritated or impinged, that can cause what you describe. I get headaches at the back of my head...& muscle spasms at the back of my neck. I do have some things going on in the cervical spine...& Drs are blaming things on that.

Fish oil can't do you any harm.. Omega-3 is good. Don't fall into the trap of taking every vitamin or supplement under the sun. If you don't need it, you don't need it. 

Again, I'm glad things are looking up for you. Keep up the good work!!!!! As usual, keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.