hyperthroid and joint pain.

Posted , 15 users are following.

Has anyone else had severe joint pain related to hyperthyroid.?  I can't close my hands.  I am still hyper but think that joint may be something else.  I hope it is just the hyperthyroid

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When I was taking thyroxine, I could not use my left arm due to the pain. G.p. Sent me to physio, I could not even dress myself, left arm totally useless due to pain in shoulder. I switched to NDT and within 3 weeks the pain just disappeared and never been troubled again with it. If you are on Levothyroxine you will suffer, it's a killer and should not be given to us. I suffered for years with symptoms of various types. Once stopped taking & replaced with NDT, been fine.
    • Posted

Hi Bryer

Why do you say Levothyroxine is a killer and what is NDT?

• Posted

It's no secret that natural desiccated thyroid drugs - a prescription form of thyroid hormone replacement - have been a controversy for years in the thyroid community. First developed back in the early 1900s, natural desiccated thyroid -- which is also referred to as NDT, natural thyroid, thyroid extract, porcine thyroid, "pig thyroid" (by its detractors), or by one of the brand names, Armour Thyroid - is a medication that was developed from the dried thyroid gland of animals, as a way to treat hypothyroidism
    • Posted

Because if you take this you will suffer from symptoms such as aches & pains, weight gain, brain fog etc: NDT stands for natural desiccated thyroid treatment. 
  • Posted

Hi Jane4469,  I have recently been hypothyroid not hyperthyroid and I was suffering from painful hip joints .. no pain anywhere else though.  I decided to  give my iron levels a boost even though I was not anemic but low within the range.  Amazingly after about two weeks the hip pain went completely away.  Apparently the blood ferritin levels can be low but still within the range and boosting them helps a lot.  I took the iron daily for a few weeks and now I just take it twice a week to keep everything good.
    • Posted

The same exact thing happened to me! My ferritin levels were off, but am slightly anemic. I, too have had hip pain! Didn't really think about that. Thanks for sharing. smile
    • Posted

Hi designergirl12,  I started off taking Fab Iron which is an 'Iron amino acid chelate' and has lots of B vitamins and Vit. C in it as well as the iron.  It is easy on the digestive system and that's the one that took the pain away from my hips after about three weeks.  I could not continue to take it though as those B vitamins seem to over excite my system and make me feel jittery.  So I changed to another one called FGF it's Dried Ferrous Sulfate and Folic Acid.  It is rather more heavy duty than the first one but I only take it twice a week now and I can manage that.

I am in Australia .. so not sure what is available where you are.  There are some others that are easy on the gut these days .. like Spatone and Floradix and maybe more.  My ferritin levels went from 76 to 93 a few months later when I was tested.

I hope this helps.

Rosalie

• Posted

Joint pain is associated with both, hyper and hypothyroidism. It's excruciating! At least mine is when my levels are really off. 
    • Posted

Yes, I was diagnosed 19 years ago with hypo thyroidism and had pain in both knees. They would not associate the pain with the diagnosis. Though, within 6 weeks of meds it went away. Now, the last few weeks I had severe pain in my joints, starting in my hands as carpel tunnel and spreading to all over body aches. I just found I was now Hyper thyroid and am waiting to hopefully have all of this pain go away with lowered meds. It has only been 2 weeks with .75 synthroid instead of 1.0 and I'm still hurting. Never have I had such pain that affects my lifestyle. I'm so much weaker. I can only be positive this pain will also go away in time once the thyroid meds get lowered in my body. I've had unusual symptoms throughout my years of thyroid disease when it is finally found to be off. If the meds are off it has huge consequences on the body. I am a very active person, I stay positive with a high pain tolerece. I have to say this pain is excruciating!

• Posted

Hi Stacy, 

Your symptoms seem very similar to mine and I wonder if you are feeling any better yet, and how you achieved it. I've taken levo for 25 years, and in the early days, rarely had to change my dose. The last few years, however, I've had to lower it bc of palpitations. I'm now 53 and through menopause, and for the last six weeks, my muscles have ached like I've been hit by a truck. And my hands ache -- especially at night -- I can't move my fingers they are so achy and tight. My pc lowered my dose from 100 to 88 two weeks ago but it's only helped a little. I think I need it to be even lower and I'm ready to start cutting pills! Please let me know how you're doing now!

• Posted

I should add that I have always been hypo but my TSH was 0.09 last check. 
    • Posted

Hi Nan!

Excited to say, it has been 5 weeks and I am incredibly better on the lower synthroid dose. I feel like I'm normal again. My pains have slowly been dissipating. It was a long wait but each week I had a little less of the symptoms. My carpel tunnel symptoms were the first to appear and were the last to leave but are basically gone. Other aches are gone. I had a lot of inflammation in knees and hands where they didn't want to bend or close, it is also gone. When I wake in mornings, I have a tiny bit of pain in feet but that goes away once I'm up and going. My thyroid was also swollen and very sore, I could feel it was hard to swallow, but is much better now. I hope this will help give you hope and you will begin to feel better. It is a very miserable place to be. My only concern is I hope it stays in a good place and doesn't go the other way to hypo again. Will keep you posted. Good luck!

• Posted

Nan, I also want to add that I went from 100 to .75
    • Posted

Nan, I'm sorry I keep adding things but if this can help anyone I'm going to get this info out there. I am 55 also and can say now most recently I'm in menopause. I'm certain the lack of hormones plays a big part in this. My test for TSH when they diagnosed me with Hyperthyroidism was at .1 When I first started my lower dose in the first week or so, I chose to not take any synthroid for a couple days just to give it a quicker way to dissipate out of my body, since I had too much. I then thought that it might make things more complicated and got back on to the lower dose so I didn't throw my body into too much of a swing. It has worked out.

• Posted

Thank you, Stacy! I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! I know how stressful it is to not be able to figure out why, and to wonder if you're going to always feel crummy. After reading your post, I started cutting my 100's into a close estimate of .75 (instead of taking the .88) and I'm already feeling better -- not nearly as achy although some fingers are slow to get the message, but I have hope, from your message, that they will come around. I'm going to call today to see if I can just get the lower dose. It's crazy how much the thyroid controls. My mom used to take levo, too, and I can remember her complaining about being achy and not knowing why. Now, I can't help but wonder if her dose was too high and how much it contributed to her overall decline. I wish I'd had a better understanding back then so I could've helped more, and if sharing our experiences helps anyone, that's a good thing! Keep feeling better! <3

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.