hyperthroid and joint pain.

Posted , 15 users are following.

Has anyone else had severe joint pain related to hyperthyroid.?  I can't close my hands.  I am still hyper but think that joint may be something else.  I hope it is just the hyperthyroid

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

My joint pains started when Thyroxine was increased, I firmly believe this is to do with medication, after reducing Thyroxine there was a MASSIVE reduction in joint pain & stiffness, I was also quite breathless. At one point I thought I had Fibromyalgia, as this mimics Hypothyroid disorder,  but as you may guess the GP just poo pood this as most of them do not believe that Fibromyalgia is a "real"condition. I am reading Dr Barry Durant-Peatfield - Your Thyroid & how to keep it healthy, would recommend this book & Thyroid UK.

• Posted

Thank you all so much for the info on this. I feel I am looking at a mirror! I have hip pain but put it down to diverticulitis. I have no idea about my iron levels but I will start taking a multivitamin with iron in it. I will also follow this discussion closely. Thanks once again. 
  • Posted

Hi jane, Ive battled with bad body aches for a few years and I believe its my Lev that has caused it, im hypothyroid.  My GP suggested swimming and this has worked well and I am acney about once a month.  I still suffer with bad achey feet, ive had MRI scan and it revealed nothing, Im convinced that if my Lev was reduced this may make them better, of course my GP wont hear of it and says its my age (im only a prime 45) oh and it could be all in my mind.  like to see my GP live with it daily. I think I will try the Iron see if that works sketchy thanks for the tip

• Posted

Hi Michelle,  It might be wise to get a blood test for anemia done before you start the iron.  If you tell your doctor that you feel tired and would like a test to see if you are anemic they should do an Iron studies test and this would show what your ferritin levels are.  The range for Ferritin is huge (15-400) .. I was on 76 when I had my iron tested and after a few months it rose to 93 but I actually felt the results after just a few weeks.  Always get a copy of the tests.  

Iron should not be taken continuously over a long period of time - so it's wise to see what your iron and ferritin levels are at present.  If you are hypothyroid you are likely to have low levels of iron.

Rosalie

• Posted

Hi Sketchy I will ask for a one Im trying to get a phone consultation as im having a bad day, can hardly walk just as well im off work for the rest of the day
  • Posted

HI Jane. IM not going to be much help as im not quite sure whats happening with my thyroid,went to the docs after blood tests last week and she said my thyroid was border line over active ,what are my symptoms? horrible pain in my lower joints (hip down wards)flu like symptoms and it started with a cough and hot and cold feelings!since this is new to me she will retest me at the end of september.

my doc seems to believe that its one of the symptoms,

it could even be connected to the constant tiredness i get ! x

• Posted

Hello Jane,

Joint pain from my personal experience is something you can get very badly when the dosage is high-ish. Everyone is different but that’s my experience.

Settling down at a dosage level for you can take time.

If you have a dodgy part of the body, injured joint or whatever it does seem to exacerbate that part even more in my experience, but lowering the dose for me slowly removes the problem, even dropping 12.5mg per day can do the trick, of course in consultation with your doctor always.

Your doctor will understand that your body feelings are the barometer of correct dosage, but, at the same time going to low can be dangerous so it’s important that its done together with understanding for safety and your body indications.

Again we are all different and taking the tablet in the same conditions every day is very important, (read about it) some people may tolerate a wide range without much of a problem and then others can be more sensitive.

You need to decide which is a sensible path to follow to achieve your objectives long term.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Jane I,ve always thought my medication LEV is the reason why I am in so much joint pain and my GP has sent me for lots of different tests and asked me to excersise lots, dont excersise, MRI scans, and today in my appointment I stood my ground as she said the only thing that i can suggest is pain killers"  I asked for Armour she looked at me as if I had asked for the world. She was reluctant to reduce my LEV but when i stood my ground she agreed so I'm to take 75mcg instead of 100mcg to review it in 8 weeks time.  Fingers crossed this will work for me as I have battled this for a few years now.  I shall let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

Thanks It seems I got rheumatism at the same time as hyperthyroid.
    • Posted

So is rheumatism afecting you more because you are hyper Jane and what does your GP do to help or are they unhelpful?  I told my GP to look on this forum as she stated I am the only person to have body and feet aches who are hypo lol
  • Posted

Hi everyone thought I'd update you all about my last 8 weeks.  I've always thought my thyroxine was the cause of my body aches, sore feet and extreem weight gain so when 8 weeks ago I managed to presuade my GP to reduce my meds from 100mcg to 75mcg I was happy as I tried everything that she asked of me to no avail. First 4 weeks I did not really notice much other than a loss of 2lb in weight. The last 4 weeks I have no body aches and my feet are only a little sore in the morning. I'm sleeping better and full of energy so much so last week I've started to cycle to work, something i'd never have achieved a month ago. cycled about 80 mile in the last week. Yesterday I had my 8 week review with my GP and she said my bloods (that were taken last week) were perfect.  Please hang in and make sure that you get your point across to your GP i've battled a few years for her to finally listen to me.  Good luck in your journey will keep you all updated in my journey
  • Posted

Hi I've got under active thyroid and for the past few months I've been suffering with joint pains, the doctors actually upped my dose to 150mg of thyroxine and since then every time I do something active I get severe joint pains, there has been two occasions where I haven't been able to walk because it had been that severe, I've been tested for rheumatoid arthritis and infections but it all came up clear, I don't think it's because of your thyroids I think it may be because of the medics but I'm not sure

Charleyx

• Posted

This thread is a little old, but I wanted to join because of the possible answer to my question and maybe get some help and be some help. I, too, have sore feet every time I get out of bed. The soreness goes away after a few steps. I also have left front hip pain - like in the muscle, ligaments or tendons there. Is this the hip pain being described in this thread? I had my thyroid removed in 2012 because of graves disease. They did not remove all of the left side and it has noticeable grown back some. I have been on 5O mcg of levothyroxine, but am not on any now because the regrowth is producing thyroid hormone. I will have a lab drawn in 4 weeks to see how it is after 4 weeks of no medicine. I wonder if I will begin feeling less body pain? I feel lots better emotionally. I have wondered for a long time if the levothyroxine was causing problems, like the body aches. Yoga helps a lot. I also have pain off and on in both thumb joints closest to my wrist. That is better. I went off the name brand synthroid because it was REALLY bothering me! I was better the first day I took the generic brand. My pharmacist gets me the same generic brand every month.
  • Posted

I have recently been diagnosed with over active thyroid, I'm being tested for graves, this week. Over the past 4 weeks I've been having severe pain in my left elbow and it's now in my shoulder. I wasn't told that this could happen. My a is all but useless at the minute because it's so painful. Is there anything that will help ?

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I too have an overactive thyroid and Graves' disease with a goitre.

Also experiencing pain in hips, wrists,knees,elbows, hips and feet.

I am also looking for some advice on how to get rid of the pains.

Sorry I can't advise you myself.

It's horrid, effects day to day living.

Hope we can get some good advice on here.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.