Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism Thyroiditis 30 days ago. My TSH started at .02 and is now .01. I am waiting to see an Endocrinologist. I have severe shortness of breathe. Is this normal? I believe I am early on in the diagnosis but any insight would be helpful. What treatment works best?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Were you given meds to take?

• Posted

I do not see the Endocronologist till next week. They made me do 3 lab tests and an Ultrasound first.

• Posted

If you have uncomfortable symptoms, (like very rapid heart beat, difficulty breathing, etc) you can go to an Emergency Department. Usually, most docs treat with thyroid hormone blocking meds first, if your results do not normalize with them they recommend radiation to the thyroid and giving you thyroid hormone replacement. But there is a lot you can do to keep from doing that. Please keep us posted on your progress.

• Posted

Thank you. I can deal with the shortness of breath I just was trying to determine if that is a symptom. My PCP hasn't really talked to me nor explained what is going on so I am trying to find answers myself.

• Posted

It can be. I think if you add in things like a fast heat rate, high blood pressure and sweating then breathlessness could absolutely fit. On very bad days before my hyperthyroidism was controlled I felt out of breath a lot. What is your resting heart rate? If its too high, the gp should prescribe beta blockers. I got those and then they put me straight on Propylthiouracil before seeing the endo. And that was changed to carbimazole a couple of months later and I stayed on that for over 2 years until surgery cured me. But mine was a hyper functioning nodule not thyroiditis.

• Posted

My resting heart rate is 98. My PCP wont prescribe anything she referred me to the Endocrine. Anytime I walk I am short of breathe and my heart races. I don't even know what caused any of this. Its frustrating that my Dr has provided me w very little information.

• Posted

Hello KIM,

My advice is to rest as much as you can, don't exercise ,and try to keep stress down. I didn't get to see an Endocrinologist until the end of 4 months.

I did look p and learned what i could do to help myself. That helped me greatly, as did many people here. Hoping you relax and do well.

• Posted

I agree rest. Don't exercise. Do some mindfulness meditation which helps keep your heart rate and bp down. Try head space to start. It's likely graves disease which is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. Hopefully you'll get a referral soon. They really shouldn't leave you untreated for long. My heart rate was 140 when I was diagnosed and the beta blockers helped so much.

• Posted

Thank you. I have been trying to find information and I am getting more insight on the internet then from my own Dr. The shortness of breathe has me concerned but no chest pain. I see the Endocrine next week. Just ready to feel back to semi normal.

• Posted

I will try to rest more. I have an appointment next week. Glad to read they have meds to help. Just hoping this shortness of breathe goes away first. This is frustrating and I get tired of family telling me you have the good thyroid problem. Not sure what they consider good about it. Grrr...

• Posted

Good? It's pretty horrible. I have atrial fibrillation from 3 years of hyperthyroidism and the toxic meds. And I needed major surgery to fix my hyperthyroidism properly. It definitely wasn't good. That would annoy me. I also never lost any weight, which is the only benefit to hyperthyroidism I could imagine. I actually gained weight lol.

• Posted

I know right? The only thing for me is I am eating whatever I want and not gaining or losing. I am early in my diagnosis and just noticed symptoms after being diagnosed but do not like the way I feel everyday. Toxic meds? Is that the radiation one? Or all the meds bad. I heard with Hyper we are suppose to have salt is that true? I have Meneires and live on a low salt diet to control that.

• Posted

The anti thyroid meds are pretty toxic. My endo nurse said that she would be rather be on thyroxine for hypothyroidism than any of the anti thyroid meds. They can affect your liver and that should be tested regularly while on the. While the meds for hypo are hormones that your body needs, the anti thyroid meds have to block to the hormones. I reacted badly to ptu and was put on carbimazole instead. But they are important. Without them you'll only get worse I refuse radioactive iodine which is the alternative to surgery, as my nodule was huge (8 to 10cm). Not sure about the salt. But funny you should have meniere's too. I have it and a connective tissue disorder too. All unrelated to each other. Apparently

• Posted

you are not alone. i have Graves, and i am hungry al the time. i do hope that i get regulated and able to lose these extra pounds!

• Posted

Wow! Are you serious?They have to be connected. I hate Menieres. I have dealt with it for 24 years now and now this. I read somewhere that Menieres is also an Autoimmune disorder. Any suggestions on the meds to have less side effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.