Hypo and Hyper at same time??? Living hell

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been Hypothyroid for years (diagnoised at 13 I believe and am 29 now) and dealt with all the symptoms that came along with it. Something happened with my body in December. Suddenly I was having panic attacks and chronic anxiety daily along with a stressful tension feeling in my chest area daily along with full body awful aches and pains, jittery, internal shakes, unwanted anxious energy, really really cold than really warm like hot skin. Admitted to hopsital 5 times during 2 month period for all those symptoms. Had countless and endless blood work done looking for anything and everything and even had a MRI and EEG done. Oh and about 8 EKGS. The only thing that showed was that I was Hypo AND HYPER. ..which is impossible right? Finally found a good Endo who said iam primarily Hypothyroid but I also have Graves disease. He did not say what ive been experiencing is from the thyroid malfunction, though I was feeling in perfect health for years before all this and my labs have never showed any Graves. Has anyone else experienced this??

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I’ve been experiencing both symptoms. Have you ever had the Epstein Barr virus in any form? Mono? 
    • Posted

Hi there, can you please explain the link between Epstein Barr & Thyroid as you seem to suggest it's linked? I've had EB/Glandular fever as a child, then M.E. in my 20's and have suffered thyroid probs for about 10 years now. Thanks.

• Posted

Ruby, I was fairly skeptical about it myself. However I recently finished the book “medical medium: secrets behind chronic and mystery illness and how to finally heal”... and I’m a 100% believer now. My story unfolds much like the book suggests. I’ve struggled for years. I highly suggest the read or audio book if you’re struggling to manage your thyroid. 

• Posted

Hi Ruby... my comment is being moderated so not sure if it’ll go through. 
  • Posted

Hi I have exact same problems - about 10 years ago, I lost loads of weight, REALLY fast heart ended up in hospital few times. But my bloods showed mixed thyroid symptoms (ie both hypo & hyper) so for 3 years Drs refused to treat me! Eventually my blood came out as Hypo so was started on Levothyroxine. However this does nothing to help me - I put tonnes of weight on, hair loss etc and Levo does nothing to help. And yet my heart still shows all signs of Hyper and I need to take beta-blockers every day to slow it down. Whole thing is a nightmare. I've never looked into whether you can have both together but in my case I think it's perfectly possible. Interesting that cw10591 mentions Epstein Barr... I have that in my blood and had Glandular fever, ended up with M.E. many years ago... would cw10591 elaborate as I don't know what the link is with Hypo/hyper? Hope you find some relief, it can take so long to get the right help & treatment, I really feel for you...

• Posted

The symtpoms are so bad I have to take 1mg xanex daily sometimes even twice a day and have been doing this since January. If I did not have the xanex I would be in the hospital every day! My appetite and weight have not changed at all. I feel like that is only bc I take the xanex. My symtpoms are also extremely sparatic. They are different every minute every hour and every day. I will though have some hours or days were I feel normal but otherwise I'm always on edge. My heart always doesn't race all day. It will just start racing out of nowhere for no reason than return to normal.

• Posted

I suggest next time you see Endo, ask if your anxiety etc related to hypo/hyper? Usually you won't know the answers unless you ask them directly. It's pretty common for thyroid to cause 'stress/anxiety' if it's not working properly, but it also can take a lot of time & persistence to get the correct help (took me 3 years as I mentioned). If you don't look after the thyroid it can make the anxiety really bad. Also worth checking is if you may have P.O.T.S? I've just been diagnosed with it after 10+ years back & forth to cardiologists (due to fast heart/thyroid tachycardia problems). It was a real eye opener as it now explains my crazy tachycardia... and makes a lot of sense. Hope this helps  a little?

• Posted

Being so sick my first question to my endo was is all of my symtpoms ive been having from my thyroid malfunction and he pretty much didn't wanna say yes or no even tho I call him up every other week n say I feel the same not getting better. Despiste showing graves disease apparently I'm still more hypo and taking a low dose levyothronxe for that. 3 weeks now no change. Never been tested for POTS

• Posted

Has anyone tested your adrenal glands to see if they are working correctly?
    • Posted

Yes in the hopsital they did a catscan of my andrenals and found nothing abnormal. A blood test was done on my adrenals but after I have already been taking xanex for several weeks so I know the results are not t ruely accurate.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, yes it was one of the first things I had tested - 24hr urine testing, but came back normal. I've often thought my adrenal gland has gone haywire because the symptoms with hyper and POTs cause massive heart racing and feeling 'on edge' all the time. So I know what you mean, but so far nothing with adrenal.

• Posted

Wow last year I had glandular fever from June I was diagnosed as hypothyroid in December on 75 mcg of levo. The virus completely wipes you out and its like starting from scratch  
  • Posted

Wondering do you have Graves antibodies? Or is your TSH really suppressed but T hormones within range. I had panic attacks in early 20s but they went away and 10 yrs later later dxd w Hashimoto's. My tsh is really suppressed now. but that's how my T3 T4 keep in range. Ps Saw a video discussing Epstein barr and thyroid dis it's very common some think the Epstein Barr can bring on Hashi. They often find EB when they do thyroid biopsies.

• Posted

All I was told was that I have hashis with graves antibodies. Also that I'm still baseline hypothyroid but I feel the utter complete opposite!! Heart racing off and on throughout the day, slight increase in bowl movements, random panic attacks, a stressful feeling that comes on out of nowhere that can be felt in my chest. It can get pretty intense. Iam on xanex daily just to suppress all these symtpoms

• Posted

Wow both Hashi and Graves ABs!!! It.hurts just thinking of that combo. What was your TSH and Free T3? Do you skip your dose when things get really.bad? Was your baseline TSH less than 10? Some ppl feel hyper when their thyroid starts spilling out thyroid hormones in an attempt to.stop.the TSH from demanding more. Guess ypu have higher Hashi AB than Graves.AB. Double whammy.
    • Posted

TSI was 330% baseline. That number should be %140 baseline. T3 was 154, T4 was 1.1

TSH was 4.75 and should be baseline less than 4.50. Thyroid peroxidase was 343 'll. Should be less baseline than 9. This is from my last labs done in March 26th.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.