Hypo and Hyper at same time??? Living hell

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been Hypothyroid for years (diagnoised at 13 I believe and am 29 now) and dealt with all the symptoms that came along with it. Something happened with my body in December. Suddenly I was having panic attacks and chronic anxiety daily along with a stressful tension feeling in my chest area daily along with full body awful aches and pains, jittery, internal shakes, unwanted anxious energy, really really cold than really warm like hot skin. Admitted to hopsital 5 times during 2 month period for all those symptoms. Had countless and endless blood work done looking for anything and everything and even had a MRI and EEG done. Oh and about 8 EKGS. The only thing that showed was that I was Hypo AND HYPER. ..which is impossible right? Finally found a good Endo who said iam primarily Hypothyroid but I also have Graves disease. He did not say what ive been experiencing is from the thyroid malfunction, though I was feeling in perfect health for years before all this and my labs have never showed any Graves. Has anyone else experienced this??

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Do you have your Hashi and Graves antibody results? Do you have your TSH .present and first when dxd ( baseline)? Ppl are being dxd and treated at earlier stages of the disease. Sometimes the thyroid isn't finished spilling out excess thyroid hormones. By the time I was dxd my TSH was 65 and a panic attack out of nowhere wouldve been welcomed...not really...but in a way..had them in early 20s yuck.

• Posted

Yeah years ago you wouldnt be treated with a baseline like yours. Maybe thats why so many ppl are feeling all jittery. By the time I was treated w a high TSH of 65 didnt even think levo would make one jittery I barely felt it and started at 100mcg which didnt do much. Now I understand why so many feel hyper on a med I hardly felt. Well it's good to get the TSH down a bit. Less damage to the thyroid gland. Really healthy ppl have a TSH of 1.

• Posted

Ps the.new range for TSH is now .3 to 3. ...used to be above 10 for treatment to start but ppl were really suffering before it got that high. Guess you are on a really low dose.
    • Posted

When you go back for retesting make sure you skip the med before they take blood. Take your med AFTER the blood draw or your results will not be correct. An epsom salt bath for 20min can lessen the jitteryness it has magnesium which is usually depleted in ppl w Hashis. Read the other discussions here there is a lot of info..
    • Posted

TSH range must depend on the lab used and country. My lab in UK has TSH ange 0.4 - 4.9.
    • Posted

Well in the USA we USED to have that range then they lowered it. TSH is pretty universal. The T4 T3s are on a different scale altogether that's why it's important to include the ranges bc they are completely diff and confusing. Looks like she is in the early stages of Hashis where the gland is still dumping thyroid hormones. You can hv TSI abs at this time and it doesnt mean Graves it means the thyroid is inflamed and overactive. If she had Graves her TSH wouls be WAY BELOW 0.

• Posted

With T3 that high, it's not surprising that you're getting anxiety attacks. T3 is the thyroid hormone that governs the body's metabolism. T4 has to be converted to T3. So, get your T3 down and you'll feel better. So the question is: what is causing the high T3? Two things occur to me. Firstly, the loop between TSH and T4 seems to be weird. With a T4 level that low I would have expected your TSH to be higher. However it is the high T3 that is causing your hyper symptoms. Get that fixed and I would expect you to not need Zanex. Personally I would get a second opinion from a different endo. It looks like the problem is that either too much T4 is being converted to T3, or that your thyroid is producing too much T3. Cysts often produce their own thyroid hormones - could it be this? Either way I would definitely get a second opinion from an endocrinologist who is willing to address your high T3 levels.

• Posted

Hey Barb. This is getting confusing is Amanda from USA or UK? I had my T3 above that but my Free T3 was only 3. 2. and the range goes to 4.8. Also read somewhere that obese ppl have really high normal Free T3. That's strange you would think the opposite. This discussion has so many replies Amanda is going to be surprised. I forgot that she was dxd at 13. bc when iI read new reply that wasnt showing. Ok. It's 530 am in USA. Maybe she is in USA and sleeping.

• Posted

Yes iam in the USA.

I also do.not take any meds for my thyroid. After I got labs he said maybe 50mg would be enough to treat to hypo and not aggravate the graves. So I was taking 50 but than I felt like it was too much for 2 weeks so I dropped it to 25 and was still experiencing hyper symtpoms. Currently I have not taken my meds in over a week and I feel the same way. No better or worse.

• Posted

My texts keep disappearing. Having TSI antibodies without a really SUPPRESSED TSH way below zero isn't Graves it's Hashis w thyroid dumping hormones bc it's inflamed. A baseline thyroid test would be your FIRST. thyroid labs at 13 when you were dxd. Do you know your TSH at that time? Did you ever go through the dumping phase before 13 that usually happens to most hypos before being dxd.

• Posted

Mar, I've just spotted this in blue 'show more replies'. Like you I was wondering where some of the replies were. So I clicked on it and back they came.

So, from your reply it sounds like I'm unique... I never went through the 'dumping stage of hashimotos'. Just had a slow decline. From the age of 14 for definite, possibly from age 10.

So back to Amanda, why would this dumping of thyroid hormones happen such a long time diagnosis? The only thing I'm aware of is thyroid cysts/nodules - which IF they're present need checking out. This though is not an area I've researched much, as it's not affected me.

• Posted

I can see why you've stopped thyroid meds, it makes sense to try it, though monitor your symptoms closely. It would be a good idea to have a blood test BEFORE you restart them, remembering to not not take any thyroid hormone on the day of the test, until after the bloods have been drawn. If you don't restart, have a blood test after 3 months to see where you stand. I still think it would be good to seek a second opinion.

• Posted

Hi Barb n Amanda. When I went through the dumping faze I didn't know that was the dumping faze at the time. I was just super anxious...the worse feeling in the world. Didnt realize until many years down the road that that was the dumping faze. The storm before the calm.

• Posted

Nope, definitely didn't do anxious. Just cold, struggling with weight. 14 years before I was diagnosed. In the end I went to the doctor with the view of telling him I'd got hypothyroidism, but at that appointment when I really spelled out my symptoms he did the blood tests and diagnosed it.

• Posted

TSI antibodies could cause the dumping. Vit C powder and Bcomplex without folic acid or cyanoB12. MethylB12 and Methylfolate. These methyl vits can help detox the buildup of toxins and too much dopamine and serotonin in the brain that can go down the wrong pathway in the brain and produce ammonia which is toxic and raises homocysteine. It's very complex but some Hashis and even ppl without thyroid dis have these changes in COMT. and MAO. Just do a search on these.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.