Hypochondria

Posted , 20 users are following.

Does anyone else suffer from hypochondria? It's really starting to affect me and my anxiety. I keep thinking something is wrong with me. Anything that seems off I will freak out about. I need reassurance or someone to tell me their experience with it. Please guys, help me out

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi every body

reading your comments make me feel that I'm not alone. but my problem is a little more.. I'm a medical student! and this make everything worst.. I know all the symptoms, all the disease , I see dying patients.. I see complications.. and always I see my self instead of them!, and with smallest symptoms I think the worst..

recently I thought that I have MS, I had brain MRI and it was normal.. but this not reassure me! and I think of worst diseases..

I'm so disappointed.. please help me

• Posted

This is such a common 'ailment' for medical students there must be classes within the school that address it.  There have been plenty of studies.  One thing to consider is whether or not you want to become a physician. 

As all the comments indicate - something is, in fact, "wrong."  I'll make a request that may hold true for many here:  if there is no evidence of disease, then have the guts to give the diagnosis of hypochondria, health anxiety, or whatever the popular term is.  Then, at least, the patient has knows the physician's point of view, and can decide to stay with him or her, or find another physician.

I have asked, outright, several times, if my physician has washed his hands of me, and I am always told that is not the case.  Clearly, it's the case, but "the plan" is that I can now no longer get appointments.  What a cowardly way to approach this.

It is not that there is no pain.  It is also not that there isn't some other modality that might work for patients with chronic symptoms - there are.  Massage therapy, for one, if incorporated into general practice, (and covered by insurances, or made affordable somehow), could do much to alleviate symptoms, as could clinical hypnosis, herbal and flower remedies, or just being validated as a human being who is experiecing chronic pain, along with anxiety.  Have some sensitive - if genuine - human condition humor about it.  Prescribe Marx Brothers movies.  Anything, but the medical brush off or treating them as if they are psychologically ill on the level of someone who is psychotic.  How can patients confront what it is that they need to change when physicians won't help.  "Tests negative. See ya."  doesn't help.  Compared with other options for things not being right, hypochondria is hardly the worst coping mechanism.  At it's worst, it is expensive and a vicious cycle because it isn't dealt with straightforwardly.

On the other hand, there is reason to consider that there are environmental factors that make us feel lousy, including using this computer and the internet.  A whopping change in how - and if - people communicate, what is seen as making a valued human being, (among this I count people who "drain resources" but never hurt anyone). 

As to dealing with the ill and dying and those effects on you, It just might be worth mentioning to you, that it isn't about you.  My "physician," as an example, made one thing very clear:  it is my job to make him feel good - and he's not young.  We're the same age.  I can't change physicians, or I would.  He has a hundred times more resources than I do, can afford the aforementioned massage therapy and/or adjunct services - but unless I get "better" he's going to be miserable?  Hell.  If I can live with it, and keep trying to get "better", who has the real problem here?

Anyway...

• Posted

I suffered severe hypochondria symptoms after a health problem i had (woman thing -bartholin cysts)

i had severe pain at my genitals trembling in my feet feeling hot /cold waves headaches numbness in my hands . I thought i had aids then multiple sclerosis even nerve damage. i tried to kill my self and even my family believed i was dieing because of the suffering i was in . It is about a month later and i am 100 times better. I take half Ladose for anxiety and do psychotherapy. 

I asked help from friends and it helped me so much although there were many days i didnt talk to anybody . 

3 days ago i thought it would take me years to recover . two weeks ago i thought it was better to die than live suffering. 

Today i feel very happy i am alive and for 3 continuous days i dont think about illness or talk about it i think about other things and go out with friends like before.

I dont think i will get worse i believe I have a long way to go but everyday is better.

Being Hypochondriac was huge suffering for me the pain I survived i believe is like being tortured or giving birth to 5 kids a week :D

You look normal and nobody can understand the pain you may be in.

I am so happy i am still alive and so much better and wanna say to everybody suffering  that even if you are thinking about illness 60 times a minute at this moment and cannot eat or dont wanna live this way it may be only some days later you are so much better and you will then realise how lucky you are to be alive and healthy .

I hope that realising our mind can cause so much harm to us will make us at the end use it to make us happier that ever :D 

• Posted

I have started noticing symptoms since 2 years, first in feb 2015 i searched my symptoms in Internet about my problem i found gerd and i was freaked about it. When i went for check-up all reports were normal and symptoms stopped within 3 months, then after that problem in july 2015 for 2-3 months i have headaches, insomnia so i went for check-up doctor said I'm normal but i was not convinced and i went for ct scan, all reports are normal again. But in 2016 i started feelin lower right abdominal pain i went for check-up again and doctor told me for ultrasound and urine test, again the reports were normal but my pain is still there and sometimes it is sharp it is happening for more than 6-7 months is this cause I'm hypochondriac or i need to do more tests. I'm confused and unable to my studies properly.

• Posted

Hey guys... 2017 ... anyone still here?
    • Posted

Hi Alex yes I keep have in a look doesn’t seem to be any one about now ... wish there was someone to talk to...
  • Posted

I've been there it's ridiculous. Here are my top 5 worse ones. 

1: convinced myself I had inhaled carbon monoxide when my co2 alarm went off in house. Was coughing all morning and body was sore. The battery needed changing!

2: have had kidney stones before, wen speaking to my neighbour about them he had them and then I convinced myself I had them off then back of that! 

3: after not eating all day once I went to get lunch and legs felt very weak. Led myself to believe I had diabetes

4: felt a pulse on right side of chest - thought I had broke science and my heart had moved place!

5: woke up one morning and I have a cupboard above my left eyeline, not my right. Could see the ceiling with right eye and not left (forgot about cupboard) and assumed I had gone blind in my left eye!! 

What a joke... 

At the time it's so real though. Hopefully that has brightened you up. 

• Posted

Girl I am with you. I've been a hypochondriac since I was a kid. Nothing settles my brain!  I've been to the ER and urgent care seriously believing I was having a heart attack but I was hyperventilating. I know how you feel. You are not alone. 

• Posted

I am Alex think I am a old hypercondiac 62 would like to talk to more people of my age... but hear for any one that would like to talk ...
  • Posted

I am here.  I am 36 though.  I have gone through this a few times before and am currently dealing with again this time convinced I have diabetes.  In the past it was esophageal cancer and colon cancer.  I truly believe I must have diabetes.  I am going to try and go for blood work today though to figure it all out.  This really stinks.  I can’t sleep and am not eating too much.  
    • Posted

Aww bless you Laurie I have had it for a few year now errr.. when I start I cannot eat sleep loose weight that makes me worse... I am not coping very well at the mo... I think I have bowel c and I am so scared... it sound bad coming for a 62 year old and you so young to be suffering like this wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but sadly I can’t think of any at the minute... 
  • Posted

Hi,

I have had issue with health anxiety before. Often made visits to my doctor to find out I am perfectly fine. Lasted around a year. But I am glad to say that I am over it now, I will share what has worked for me.

1.) Stay focused. If you are working, keep focused on your work, don't let part of your brain trick you into anxiety. 

2.) Get into hobbies. Get passionate about something, and keep your brain focused and busy.

3.) Stay away from WebMD or any site to check symptoms. TBH reading some of stories on these boards were actually scary. Some were helpful too, so in a hoping my post will help someone.

4.) Keep telling yourself that you are fine. As soon as you think that anxiety attack is starting, divert your attention. Start something that interests you, watch funny videos, work, read news etc.

5.) Stay away for things that aggravate your fear/anxiety. I have IBS and some digestive disorders which was causing lot of symptoms and that was causing as trigger for anxiety attack. So first stage was to limit trigger food, exercise, build confidence for yourself by working out and eating healthy (at least until you get over anxiety issues). 

Keep reminding yourself, death is not in your hand. Your health is at some extent, but not death. So no point worrying about something that is not under your control.

Anxiety attacks are scary, no doubt. But remember, it will just keep getting worse if you let it win every time.

Treat it like an enemy, like you have to beat it down.

Stay focused, stay healthy.

Hopefully some of this helps someone.

• Posted

I am new to this just signed up and I have to say I can completely relate to what you are saying and experiencing reall distressing anxiety right now because of weird aymptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.