Hypoglycemic attacks during peri

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I know someone touched on this subject just a few days ago and I can't seem to find it to read over it again. Yesterday, I had 2 hypoglycemic attacks. I woke up to one out of a dead sleep this morning that knocked me on my rear end. It caused me to shake so violently.  I am not diabetic, and have been tested just recently. What is going on with these attacks? I am getting them mostly when my cycle is ending. If anybody can please help me understand this and what I can do for them, I would greatly appreciate it. 

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have hypoglyceamia due to  nervous system damage, and it can wake me during the night, if it wakes you  and you find you cant sleep, you need to put food by your bed, because if you dont eat, you will find it very difficult to go back off as our body then releases adrenalin to try and bring our sugars up for us, try a small protein snack, like handful of nuts and small amount of dried fruit with it for the carb content, but dont eat carbs on its own, stick with mainly protein, and dont eat refined sugars at all, around peri flare times, as this will cause a sugar crash and make the attack worse later on, its happening because like you have stated, you were at the end of your cycle, and hormones in all of us however subtle, causes sugar fluctuations, your test for diabetes is normal, because like me, it isnt your pancreas thats the problem, its hormones, eat little and often throughout the day during your flares to help keep your sugars balanced , especially immediately before your period, you will be fine when your on as when our hormones settle then, so, so do our sugars,  it will then dip again a couple of days after finishing as, hormones leaving our bodies also causes imbalances in our sugars, and thats whats happening with you, so to avoid it being particularly bad during this time, you need to avoid sugar, thats why our bodies are giving us the sugar cravings, its telling us it needs sugar, but, dont eat refined sugars, you will just make that feeling worse not better, because eating refined sugar, causes us to produce insulin and too much insulin in our system causes are sugars to drop, and we want them to stay balanced, refined sugars give you up and downs, and unrefined, and particulary protein give us balance, but we do need unrefined carbs to give us energy but keep it small and always with protein.
    • Posted

Elaine, thank you so much for this. I was getting worried something was terribly wrong and I was possibly diabetic and they just gave me the wrong test results. (it happened to my poor hubby, they gave him the wrong negative results when in fact he was positive for being diabetic) I did feel better after drinking some orange juice, but later, I got ill to my stomach,maybe OJ was not the best choice. I will stop and get some almonds and dried apricots and keep them on my nightstand. And yesterday, I had a ton of sugar. I crashed with a hypo attack and got a candy bar (what a bad choice) 
    • Posted

Thats happened to me when ive drunk juice made me feel very sick, but felt good initially, think that is the sugar crash effect to be honest, the problem is, refined sugar goes in much too quickly and thats what causes the fall afterwards, you tend to think well if my body craves sugar then i w ill just stick this chocolate bar in, not realising that its just going to cause a another attack not long after, were just creating a viscious circle, you are allowed refined sugar if you feel low, especially if your having hypos but, your supposed to follow it with a small snack to stop the fall later on, but then again, your not really a diabetic so, its not the same thing, see how you get on with the nuts and apricots, apricots are a good choice, but eat more protein with it and see how you go, im not talking eating a small meal during the night, just a very small snack, just stick to your diet whilst in a peri flare, you wont need to be on it all the time, .................that is bad about your husbands test results, but unfortunately nowadays its happening all to much..................good luck snowbell, let us know if you feel better with changing your diet slightly.
    • Posted

Thanks Elaine. I did much better with the almonds and grapes this morning. Thank you for your help. Its definitely a process.
    • Posted

good im glad, it is a process of ellimination, what is happening this day with my symptoms, which particular group of symptoms am i in, so what should i be doing for this today!! ive found grapes work well for me also, grapes are one that is known for bringing sugars up, so i think at the moment snowbell yours may be sugars thats your problem, stick with your diet and see how it goes, ive found that a certain amount of fat in my diet works well also, but we cant have too much of that now can we. 
    • Posted

I may need all the fat I can get, ive lost so much weight, its pitiful. I look so thin and unhealthy it makes me panic when I loose my appetite. I can't afford to loose anymore weight sad
    • Posted

Me and you both. I have lost so much weight that I started panicking over that. I lost another 2 pounds when I went to the docs a week ago. I've lost almost 30 pounds in these last 5 months losing my appetite and changing my diet around trying to figure out what the heck is going on with this alien body.
    • Posted

It is so darn hard to figure out. Now I've had a slight headache most of the day, but starving. I guess better I eat while I feel up to it. Who knows what day I'm not going to feel like it.
    • Posted

Absolutely, eat when you are hungry. I just developed a fever and im feeling so run down, no appetite again. I bet Im coming down with a virus and gonna have this mess on top of it. Oh joy sad
    • Posted

dont worry jamie you will regain it, i lost 7lb one day then 5 the next, that was 4 years ago, and now im only 2lb off original weight, dont want to regain anymore, as i needed to lose some, but ive noticed that whilst i can still lose it even now, its no where near as much as i was doing in the begining, that will ease and get better.
    • Posted

Oh no. Hopefully it will pass and you won't come down with it. Sounds like you need some rest this evening.
    • Posted

Thank you, that is reassuring. I was starting to think something really was wrong. I keep hearing of gaining weight so me losing my appetite and losing weight I felt like was the opposite. Now the three years prior to this I ate everything in sight especially around the cycle time and gained tons of weight that I couldn't lose no matter what I did. So to have bouts of no appetite and dropping the weight this fast was scary.
    • Posted

Snowbell are you sure thats a proper fever, as severe fatigue causes chills and sweats, it also causes flu like symptoms including sore throat, definately try some water especially if you wake during the night feeling poorly, if its fatigue, it should be gone by tomorrow, but it will come back if you over do it whilst  your fatigued, do your muscles feel tender by any chance?
    • Posted

Hi Elaine, I took my temp and it was 99.6, low grade. I do feel so run down though
    • Posted

Thanks Jamie, I hope so. I took a 30 min nap before work, but now dizzy, breathless and miserable. Hope tomorrow brings a better day.
    • Posted

That feels so reassuring Elaine. My appetite is gone and I was worried. You helped ease my panicking.
    • Posted

have to be honest dont feel so good myself today, know with me its fatigue, definately over done it this week, so feel flu like now, felt better before, but been busy again and its hitting me now, time to eat i think! take care and feel better soon.

• Posted

Elaine, this morning was brutal. Woke violently shaking and vomiting bile in my stomach. Had to force almonds and grapes down. It calmed after 20 minutes of eating. Feeling so yuck today. Breathing is so distressing and difficult, no appetite. I pray this ends soon.
    • Posted

that does sound distressing, i have to be honest, ive never woken shaking like that with low blood sugar, sounds more like severe fatigue, now that did make me shake badly, whats  your breathing like?? tell me how you feel inside, do you have an ill feeling at all? are yo peeing a lot? do you feel weak??
    • Posted

I do urinate a lot of course drinking a liter of water a day contributes to that, I think. Im very tired, as I usually only get 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. My breathing feels like I cant get a good breath in and my chest is tight. Then I panic.... Oh, I panic. Then my breathing calms down and comes right back though. I burp air out all thru the day as well. Its a vicious cycle really. I dont feel ill, just tired, nervous, tense and always aware of my breathing.
    • Posted

The 4 to 5 hours of sleep will make you fatigued which inturn will then put your clock and sleeping pattern out, that will then cause lots of neuro symptoms, which you havent mentioned, so its not that,but the gas is a clue, that is normal for us, its down to all the bloat we get due to low oestrogen which, is more than likely why your feeling very stressed as well, that  does make it sound more like anxiety, especially with the  breathing, the foods helping because of how all this is affecting your sugars because again low oestrogen drops our sugars slightly, hormones coming into our system drops them, and then them leaving our system does as well, so, drinking water, eating little and often like your doing will all help that,  its all about balance, and its a pain, im sure about that much, your doing everything you should be doing, but try doing some relaxation techniques as well snowbell see if that helps with the anxiety, thats awful for you in the morning though! 
    • Posted

I can't say I'm glad someone else is going through this, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. I have lost almost 30 pounds since January, and everyone, including doctors, say it's not from menopause. I just feel nauseous a lot, and have no appetite. Have been making myself eat several times daily, just to see if I can gain any back. Can't stand all of this...it's all that's on my mind!
    • Posted

Debbie, it becomes debilitating at times. Im so glad im not alone as well. xx
    • Posted

If it helps, I got very thin to begin with and had to force myself to eat because I just felt so sick and queasy all the time.

When my periods stopped I began to put on scary amounts of weight very quickly.

Now 2 St heavier than I've always been and 3 st heavier than my lightest.

• Posted

I think ive been very lucky in that, i never experienced the anxiety that yourself, debbi, zingangie, and  jamie have been getting, my sister had it like this, but i didnt, i have to be honest, im glad i didnt as well because it sounds horrendous, i did have severe pmt, and i lost weight, but since ive been post like zingangie i have gained it, dont want to gain an extra two stone though, that happened to my sister also strangely enough, and she said it came on overnight.................ooops please dont do that to us as well, but what has been the worst for me was, first the black depression, which, thankfully has eased greatly, but worse the debilitating fatigue and all its neurological symptoms that come with it, and the ill feeling is horrific, so, if you dont get one, you seem to get another...............who would have thought hormones could do all this..............take care ladies xx 
    • Posted

Elaine, the black depression, I can tell you its the scariest and most horrible thing I have experienced. Oh my goodness, when it comes on, it feels like I am in a daze, or have been in shock. All I can do is pace my house back and forth until it lifts. I pray it never shows its ugly head again. 
    • Posted

its horrific isnt it, in the end i did go on anti depressants, went on sertraline, its a seretonin re uptake inhibitor, also works well for migraines, it definately took the edge off, which is all i was looking for, came off it once i was post, it worked ok for me, but some ont he forum it didnt help, i can handle the anxiety but not the black depression, really didnt like it just wasnt me, cant believe how hormones have the cheek to do this to us.................ha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.