Hypoglycemic attacks during peri

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I know someone touched on this subject just a few days ago and I can't seem to find it to read over it again. Yesterday, I had 2 hypoglycemic attacks. I woke up to one out of a dead sleep this morning that knocked me on my rear end. It caused me to shake so violently.  I am not diabetic, and have been tested just recently. What is going on with these attacks? I am getting them mostly when my cycle is ending. If anybody can please help me understand this and what I can do for them, I would greatly appreciate it. 

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was worried for ages, I have this thirst and the only thing that makes it go is fruit cordial. If it has sweetener it just doesn't cut it.

Water seems to make me feel more thirsty.

I have a couple of diabetic friends and if they hear me say that they go on at me to get checked out because that is how theirs was.

I have been checked a few times now for it but all is well.

I'm wondering if like a b12 result you can be close to diabetic.

I was told with b12 that I was on the low side several years before it showed up as a deficiency.

• Posted

Good question. But its sure a scary thing to deal with, the trembling is terrifying.
    • Posted

Yes zigangie ive found that water can do that with me, im tempted to say, that is nothing to do with our sugars going to high, i think that may be, we have taken in enough water and its actually starting to dilute our salts, which means we will go even thirstier, and what we should do then is, actually take in salt and drop the water down!! go on your urine colour, in the morning if it seems dark, your dehydrated, as you drink it will go straw like, or, clear, once this happens you have drunk enough water, stay off caffine though and fizzy drinks with caffine, it will affect our sugars, and our nervous system, which in turn will trigger our peri symptoms.
    • Posted

when you get the trembling, does it come with other symptoms, or is it on its own?? severe fatigue comes with trembling but you would have more symptoms if it was that, you would get more with low sugar also.
    • Posted

Along with the trembling, I get nervous, heart is pounding out of my chest, going so fast. I also sometimes feel nauseated, head feels like its underwater and sometimes doom and gloom.
    • Posted

that sounds more like anxiety, i have had thousands, of hypo attacks, and reactions, dont get the doom and gloom, but that could be me couldnt it.
    • Posted

It's hard to tell my b12 makes my urine almost fluorescent green some days.

First time it happened lol huge stress.

• Posted

My mom had hypoglycemia and terrible panic attacks during her peri years. I often wake after just about 4 hours of sleep with either the hypo, the panic, or both, but not every night.  I am cutting out a lot of sugar and eating more protein and hope it will help.  I've also been taking 3 mg of melatonin each night to try to help me sleep, but it is hit or miss and seems to have stopped working.  I took 6 mg last night and woke up hungry after only 4 hours and am still awake 3 hours later, never could go back to sleep even after having good snack with protein.  My recent blood work and urinalysis were normal, too, no sugar issue, just this horrible peri disaster.  Do you try having a protein snack at bedtime?  I do sometimes but didn't last night because I was full from dinner, had plenty of protein at each meal and thought I was all  set.  Elaine's description of the snack, protein with a bit of a healthy, low sugar carb, is how I do my snacks with this, too.  I'm going to try some additional vitamin supplements as well, just started on Vitamin D and plan to add B complex and C.  Take care and let us know how you're doing with this, hopefully something will help!
    • Posted

Thank you Elizabeth! Well, I did a tiny bit better and slept until 4am, but woke with a pounding heart, nausea and what felt like anxiety. I had my almonds and fruit next to my bed so I choked them down (so hard when no appetite and nauseated) I also took my Bach rescue remedy and so far its been 15 minutes but things are calming down a tad bit. I pray it continues. I also take Vit D and B complex. This peri morning waking is not fun one bit. I pray this passes quickly for all of us.
    • Posted

Oh it is! Anxiety is just awful period. I absolutely hate it. Its my shortness of breath that sets it off most the time, but waking with it really stinks. And somedays it calms down quickly and others it takes hours and hours to calm. Its just yuck.
    • Posted

I think if you feel you wake with genuine anxiety, the almonds and fruit wont work, hypoglyceamia causes panic attack type symptoms, fast heart, shakiness, breathless, need to wee, hot sweaty clammy, weak muscles, etc ,  this is because adrenalin comes out thats what gives you your symptoms initially, its to kick start our liver to produce the hormone glucagon, this is what our bodies naturally produce when our sugars go too low, so, when its that low, glucagon will always bring it up for us if we dont, that doesnt mean though, you shouldnt do anything about the attack yourself, but, you need to be sure what your experiencing to be sure of how to treat it, so, is it a panic attack your having due to anxiety with peri, or, a hypoglyceamic attack again due to peri, because treatment would be different for  both,  also when we become fatigued during peri, and we over exert ourselves  we will get pain in our joints and muscles, and if we dont rest but push ourselves instead, knowing were getting tired, and have the aches and pains as our sign,  we will then, also produce adrenalin, and all this affects our female hormones, so fatigue due to peri could be another reason why were getting the panic attacks, so, when you wake next time and cant sleep, keep a check on whether it was a day when you were particularly fatigued, and you feel you have pushed yourself that day.   To deal with that  it would be to rest during the day and pace ourselves, but also try drinking half glass of water upon waking, and see if that makes you go off, you may find you will wake again later if its down to fatigue, but again drink, and see how you get on, dont eat that night, just until you identify, what is exactly causing the attack, low sugar, fatigue, or, worsening of PMS symptoms, all caused by peri, the problem is, were not on HRT, which soughts everything with one pill or, patch, so what we have to do is, work out, what is happening,  what am i dealing with tonight, and once idtentifed treat each group of symptoms accordingly, unfortunately its trial and error and sometimes some things work, and sometimes they dont, and i wonder if, we havent identified which particular group of symptoms were in so, can then get the treatment wrong, because there are so many conditions that give off the same symptoms, which makes our job even harder,   hope this  makes sense, just had this vision of you in midst panic throwing the nuts and apricots down you..................ha

• Posted

LOL.... Your vision was right! It did calm me though, for about 2 hours then the anxiety crept back in sad I want to thank you for this info. Im so lost as to what is going on sometimes.
    • Posted

i know its extremely diffcult to work out isnt it, it really puts our multi tasking to the test doesnt it, glad the snack helped, that does sound like your sugars, unfortunately it will cause it to happen again later on, try just having the nuts next time, keep off the carbs, see how you go with that instead, your having whats called hypoglyceamic reactions, eating just starts to cause a viscious circle, of more insulin, which then lowers our sugar, so we need more food, but then we produce more insulin, so the circle starts, so if this is you,  what i tend to do then is,  starve myself for 24 hours then start again with my diet, tends to reboot everything, just resting the system seems to work sometimes, depends on how hungry you get though, if your having major hunger pangs, try if for half day, see how that works ..................ha 
    • Posted

hahaha........... no im not really, its because i have hypoglyceamia im an old hand at it nowadays, and ive been on the menopause for 10 years and its made that worse, for me, that side of it has been easy to pick up on, so i know how to deal with it, im as stumped as the rest at everything else............ha  but your welcome, take care snowbell x
    • Posted

yes your right it is hit and miss, never been able to work that out and to be honest dont think drs can answer that for us either, just our bodies i guess, yes thats happened with me also, some nights not able to eat anything before bed, as too full from dinner, im the same tonight, so wont eat anything before i go up, you may find on nights like that, you wont need to eat during the night and you should, fingers crossed be ok, see howi am tonight and will get back, dont forget to try water some nights see if that does it for you instead, like i have said to snowball, sometimes its not our sugars, its fatigue that wakes us, and that inturn also affects adrenalin, you will feel thirsty as well if its fatigue, but then again so can low sugar, however, if its a anxiety attack, that will make you very dry mouthed, not thirsty just dry mouthed, so keep check ont that as a sign of anxiety, drink water then see if that helps, such a pain isnt it. 
    • Posted

Thanks, Elaine.  On top of it all, I wonder how any of this will be affected after my ovary is removed in a couple of weeks.  I feel like my mind and body are in chaos and I agree with you that doctors don't really have the answers, either.  At the very least, I want to be able to feel like I'm doing the best I can to take care of myself during these crazy years... maybe one day!
    • Posted

Elizabeth, I wonder too since my ovary is coming out as well. Makes me a bit nervous.
    • Posted

I just started a new discussion on this... perhaps we can find out more from other ladies who have had an ovary removed.  Still can't grasp that this is happening so soon!
    • Posted

do they put you on HRT with losing an ovary then?? good luck with your op, can understand you being concerned.

• Posted

Good question... they have not mentioned anything like that.  My gyn is approaching it all with a very step-by-step approach, basically not acknowledging any one possibility more than another in terms of how this will turn out.
    • Posted

They may be waiting to see how things go before they decide, you tend to think that one compensates for the other when one of something is removed, but given our ovaries produce our oestrogen, dont see how the one left can compensate if its shrivelling also, but, you never know, and this might be what there waiting to see, presume they will keep testing you to see how your levels go afterwards also.
    • Posted

Exactly!  The left one showed no cysts or anything, totally clear, but I get a little nervous at the idea of it being the lone ovary, so to speak.  We'll see what happens.
    • Posted

Yes let us all know Elizabeth how you get on please!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.