HYPOTHYROIDISM...NATURAL Help please!

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have Hypothyroidism.

Over the last year and a half it has gotten alot worse

I have gained 15 pounds

I am cold ALL the Time

I'm tired and grouchy.

I've cut out most Gluten ( I still struggle with going 100 % Gluten free)

My hair will not stop falling out...it is now VERY noticiably thin and dry

What can I do to regrow hair?

What can I eat or what Vitamins can I take to lose weight and regulate my Thyroid

and re gorw my hair

I will not use medication or synthetic thyroid

I have watched my Mother use it over the years and it only causes problems

Any advice and tips

Thanks smile

1 like, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Tina:

Sorry you have hypothyroid disease.  i am a Nurse and also have Hashimoto's.  It is an autoimmune disease.  I would recommend NDT also called Armour Thyroid. It is made from a pig's gland and not a synthetic.  It will bring your TSH level into normal.   You can also look into chinese meds for the thyroid.  You may need to find a true and good Chinese herbal shop.

As others have said you do need to have blood work done.  I strongly recommend NDT (Armour Thyroid) it can be bought online.

Hair:  Once on NDT,  Keep you scalp healthy by a good moisture shampoo or one made for dandruff.  It helps to provide the scalp with moisture.

As to weight, avoid carbs and try to walk.  I did walking and I was able to lose 30 pounds.  Avoid eating after 8 p.m.  Move a heavy meal to lunch and eat light for dinner.

Vitamins: please take a good multi-vitamin so you do not get low in Vit D and iron.

I hope this helps.  Stay well, Shelly

• Posted

hi shelly im on vit d can you advise me on what else to take please

• Posted

Hello Karen:

Most of us who have thyroid problems are low in Vit D.  Along with Vit D, you should take a very good multivitamin, (the best you can find),  that includes iron.  We also need to eat a good balanced diet so we can get minerals from food. Strawberries provide zinc and help the immune system.  Try and avoid fast food or ready made items, high carbs and salt in them.  Vegtables give us good vitamins if they are fresh.

I am glad you are on NDT, it is a much better and natural thyroid replacement.  Stay well, Shelly

• Posted

Strawberries for Zinc! Wow, that's no problem, I didn't know that.

You should also eat Brazil nuts for Seleniium - a very necessary catalyst. But only eat 2-3 per day, they are very potent. Althouth you will throw up if you eat too many, a warning that you are overdoing it.

Thats what happens to me.

• Posted

Dear LAH and all:

Strawberries now are usually available all year round in most places and if you or anyone has Diabetes, you can have 7 of them in a day. I agree the Brazil nuts are also good for Selenium. 

XO, Shelly

• Posted

hi shelly im on vit D from my doctor as it was to low.ive ordered the b12 oral spray boost .what is the best muti vitamin i can take as im new to all this and theres so many to choose from xkaren
    • Posted

thanks i love brazils and strawberries i use both these in my smothies,what fruit and veg should i avoid x
    • Posted

Hello  Karen:

I use a "women's" multivitamin. with iron and look at the label and see how much Vit D is in it. Most of them have 1000 IU of D in it. We need a bit more, when low. You can go to a store that sells vitamins and look at all the ones and see which one fits you the best.

Eating good food and balanced diet with vegtables will give you a source of vitamins and minerals. Stay away from junk food.

XO Shelly

• Posted

Hi karen I use a multivitamin called 'multivitality gold'. I have an intolerance to maize starch, aka corn/corn syrup etc and it's the basis of lots of other substances e.g. glycerol, so I'm limited what I can take. The advantage of this one is that it has a lot of the trace elements we need such as selenium. The disadvantage is that it only has 25% of the RDA for calcium. Due to allergies and intolerances I needed a very wide ranging multivitamin to compensate for me only being able to eat fresh meat, some fish, carrots, cabbage and broccoli. There is a myth around that we need to avoid brassicas such as cabbage and broccoli, but they are fine if they are cooked. Maize starch is also in all synthetic thyroid medications. Hence the reason I am funding my own NDT.
    • Posted

hi barbara how do we do temerture testing is this for adrenal for antibodies im lost with it all,ive been unwell for past couple months and all doctors pointed out my temp was low blood pressure on high side im now curious to why this is as ive always had normal temp and low blood pressure any ideas thanks. x   karen
    • Posted

hi shelly been on ndt 6 days now i can honestly say i havnt felt this good in 24 years.im on vit d via doctors as was low im on b12 boost now oral spray,theres so many vitamins out there im stuck for choice,im no longer living in a bubble which was awful,no brain fog so something is working good ndt i wished i done this sooner thank.karen
    • Posted

Karen:

I know the feeling!  Been there-done that.  Keep getting well,  you could go to a shop where they sell supplements and ask for a good recommendation on one.  I just take a womens daily with iron and some extra D.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Many vitamin supplements are synthetic, which os the opposite of the direction she, or most of us, are trying to tale. There are whole food womens formulas that are food based instead.
    • Posted

Hello Leonica

This is good to know and exactly where to get them.  All I said was to consult a Viitamin shop and ask about ones to take. It is better to get it from diet, or natural ones.   I am in the USA and have no idea of stores that carry them in the UK.

Shelly

• Posted

hi tina im hypothyroid to,ive just started the ndt rather then take levo as im 23 years having thyroid problems,ive joined the ndt group in facebook been a great help to me so far,told me what best vitamins to use ,im 2 days on ndt no problem so far 
    • Posted

That's great but have your symptoms been alleviated? Too soon to know?
    • Posted

hi dave 5h day and feeling much better hoping  this lasts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.