Hypothyroidism , newly diagnosed..advice please!Hi to everyone! I’m new here & was recently diagnose

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi to everyone! I hope I’m posting this in the right spot.  I’m new here & was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism in February 2018 (altho I believe I’ve had this for years) I've been struggling with the many symptoms: weight gain, constant bloating , anxiety , thinning hair & hair loss of eyebrows & underarms , dry eyes & mouth , foggy brain etc. 

My initial bloodwork was in December 2017 at my yearly physical. It didn’t include all the other tests needed to accurately diagnose (that I’ve read here are necessary...& tnk you for that!) only the TSH. So I’m hoping for advice on these new test results. My Dr thinks I’m fine now that my TSH has dropped a bit & that I don't need to adjust anything ..other than giving me a prescription for 50,000 unit capsules (of Vitamin D , 25 Hydroxy) once a week for 8 weeks ...and after the 8 weeks, 2000 units (of OTC) daily. I’ve been on 25 mcg of Levothyroxine for a little over 2 months. And don’t really see a difference except that I’ve been losing more hair since starting the Levo which is totally freaking me out. Tnx in advance for any advice , it’s so appreciated!

Blood work results from 4/20/18 

TSH 4.23 mlU/L (0.40-4.50 ml/UL)

( Last results on 12/17/17 was 5.27 )

T3 free 2.8 ( 2.3-4.2 pg/mLF )

T4 free 1.2 ng/dl. ( 0.8- 1.8 ng/dl )

T4 Total 6.1 mcg/dL ( 4.5-12.0 )

Thyroglobulin Antibodies 293< or = 1 lU/mL F H ( or 1.0 normal ?)

Thyroid Peroxidase AB 54 < 9 IU/mL F H 

(Range less than 9 normal?)

Vitamin B12 482 pg/mL ( 200-1100 pg/mL)

Vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy 23 ng/mL (30-100 ng/mL)

*(THEY PRESCRIBED VITAMIN D3 50,000 unit caps , taking 1 capsule once p/week for 8 weeks ..& then after that 2000 OTC units daily 

Folate 17.4 ng/mL (it didn’t give a range here but I think they said it was low?)

Ferritin 158 ng/mL ( 20- 288 ng/mL )

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I am not a doctor but been dealing with hypothyroidismsm for 30 years. Your doctor is being very cautious which is good in a way because too much med can cause bone lost or afib but too little has many downsides. Vit D is very important and low Vit D can cause many problems. Your Vit B12 though in range is on the low side an MMA test will show a truer picture. My Vit B12 ranges from 1300 to 1500 but that's the levels I need to be in the normal range on the MMA test! You also want a higher folate (Vit B9) level. Sometimes eating more folate foods could increase this or most times in people with thyroid issues supplementing with folate/B9 (not folic acid) is needed. She's keeping you at the lower end of thyroid function tests...probably taking a wait and see approach bc your TSH isn't that high...and sometimes the body will reset itself. Getting your Vit D increased may help some. I would inquire about an MMA test. She may not even know what that is. Read up on it. If you're deficient in B12 it will show up on the MMA test and it is REALLY important to address that issue. Have you had a lipid profile (Total cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL and LDL) and A1C and fasting glucose? These are also important tests for people with thyroid issues. Thyroid sonogram (baseline) should be done. Good luck.

• Posted

Tnx so much @mar75090 ! Haven’t heard of the MMA test & will inquire. Am trying hard at a gluten free diet ..& dairy free as well hoping that helps.  Surprised tho at TSH results only being slightly better & thought that once supplementing w Levo that TSH should be 1 or under? Figured with those numbers they should increase ...tho I’m happy not to if it isnt necessary?

• Posted

Welcome to the club.....symptoms will develop gradually, there is a long list of them. You need to look at your lifestyle, make some changes....gluten free diet, sugar free also, lots of vegetables except cabbage. Exercise is crucial, shedding weight...relaxation, stress needs to be managed, yoga. No processed food, low carb....keeping your cholesterol low. A holistic approach has helped me....invest in good supplements, moisturize your skin daily and look after your hair, good shampoos, conditioners and masks...I am using Kerastase.

You are also at high risk of developing other autoimmune diseases...like diabetes, lichen scleroses, lupus etc. Must look after yourself.

• Posted

Tnx so much Dani! I’m trying hard at gluten free, lifestyle, exercise etc (altho always worked out👍🏼😉wink hopefully the diet changes will help a lot..fingers crossed ...the hair loss is freaking me out tho. Hoping the Vitamin D script will help w that? 

• Posted

Hi Joey. You should also be taking Vit K2 along with your Vit.D. this is a must in my opinion. I also take Vit A (not beta carotene) along with these two. These are fat soluble vitamins so must be taken with a fatty food. Read up on this. Also zinc and selenium are minersls that help convert T4 into T3. Another test worth taking is reverse T3 or RT3. RT3 competes with FT3. SHBG test will also give a fair idea of how much thyroid hormone is actually being absorbed in body tissue.where it is needed.Vit B6. is necessary to take with B12 and folate. An MMA test is needed first to see if you're B12 deficient so wait for the results. Most likely you are low.but can't say for sure. You would have to raise your B12 levels before taking a (methyl)folate supplement.

• Posted

Tnx Mar75090! Inquiring about the MMA test , hadn’t heard about that one tnk you!
    • Posted

Mar ..around how much Vit K2 should I be taking to supplement a weekly 50000 units of Vit D3? I have four weeks left of this high dose before going to a smaller weekly over the counter dose ... tnk you!
  • Posted

Hi Joey, there was another post just last week from someone who had hair loss and onset other  (additional) hypo symptoms after starting Levo. Levo has tons of horrible side effects, can worsen thyroid disease and doesn’t work for a lot of people. Read the levothyroxin group thread, “Unacceptable side effects of levothyroxin”. 

You might try a natural dessicated thyroid medication. 

Alternatives to prescription medications are supplements ThyroGold, phenylalanine and essential amino acids.

Keep in mind, hypothyroid disease is autoimmune, so you’ll want to consider this in a holistic approach.

• Posted

Sorry but really dont think levo has tons of horrible side effects. I've been on it for 30yrs and the only side effect maybe some hair loss but without it there would be a LOT more. It has kept my cholesterol trigs HDL and LDL at optimal levels.

I can eat a lot of fatty foods but never have high levels. It has also kept my blood sugar at good levels. It can help prevent metabolic syndrome and type2 diabetes which are VERY common in hypos. It can make people with fertility issues become pregnant and keep their newborns from having hypothroidism issues: slowed growth,

and developmental, etc. Think people who are undermedicated may be suffering from their own low thyroid issues and think it is from the medication. When I was on my highest dose my TPO antibodies dropped from 1000s to <10. So I only had one side effect out of tons. Hypos would be almost bald. without thyroid meds and live for possibly 15 more yrs before their bodies "give out" altogether.

• Posted

In addition, you seem to have enough deficiencies to consider gut health problems as a source of malnutrition. You can help by eliminating immune system triggers from your diet completely. Also, chronic pancreatitis often goes I diagnosed and  can cause gut problems as well as celiacs disease, so might be worth looking into the possibility of gut problems and the source as the root of your deficiencies.
  • Posted

Hi. Yeah your hormone levels are on the low normal or better yet the "I wouldnt want to be there" range. But your antibodies aren't that high. Raising your Vit D level should help RAISE your thy hormone levels. You can also do a Reverse T3 test to see.how your body is or isn't converting T4. You are on a LOW dose of levo so nothing seems to be changing much not surprising. Selenium and zinc supplements could help. It's so sloooow going.

• Posted

Remember to take your Vit D with a cholesterol food like eggs, whole milk yogurt etc. You need cholesterol to make all hormones and absorb Vit A, D and K2. Levo helps lower lipids. Little bit zinc can help w hair loss..
  • Posted

Don't be on a lowfat diet that is the worst for thyroid and other hormone production. Unless you have a family hx of hypercholesterolemia. Dont overdo exercise either that is a huge drain on your thyroid....wait til everything is optimal. You have to keep your protein intake up.

• Posted

Ps DO NOT TAKE BIOTIN AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE THYROID AND MANY OTHER TESTS. LABS USE BIOTIN FOR MANY MANY TESTS. IT CAN CAUSE FALSELY LOW TSH. FALSE INCREASE IN T4 T3. FALSE ANTIBODY TEST . JUST DO A WEB SEARCH ON BIOTIN FALSE LAB RESULTS.
    • Posted

Mar, thanks for posting! My TSH levels have always shown fairly low, wven when my hypothyroid symptoms were at their worst. 

During my initial diagnosis period, I was getting B12 shots. Your comments made me realize the shots may have influenced my test results.

I spent several years workjng in a lab performing antibody tests and I have never felt they were reliable. The antibody tests are very “fussy”.

• Posted

It.is not all B vits it's BIOTIN. A lot of people are taking this for hair and skin in SUPER MEGA doses. People w thyroid issues do better with methyl b12 and methyl folate. Hope everyone out there knows to keep away from folic acid. Some cannot breakdown folic acid so it builds up in the blood and test results can be high but it is bad and decreases natural killer cells that fight cancer cells.

• Posted

Ps If you were low in B12 than you were also folate deficient. But needed to buildup B12 before taking folate. If you got cyanob12shots. maybe some of your sensitivities were from th B12. You might have a methylation problem and toxins buildup.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.