Hypothyroidism , newly diagnosed..advice please!Hi to everyone! I’m new here & was recently diagnose

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi to everyone! I hope I’m posting this in the right spot.  I’m new here & was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism in February 2018 (altho I believe I’ve had this for years) I've been struggling with the many symptoms: weight gain, constant bloating , anxiety , thinning hair & hair loss of eyebrows & underarms , dry eyes & mouth , foggy brain etc. 

My initial bloodwork was in December 2017 at my yearly physical. It didn’t include all the other tests needed to accurately diagnose (that I’ve read here are necessary...& tnk you for that!) only the TSH. So I’m hoping for advice on these new test results. My Dr thinks I’m fine now that my TSH has dropped a bit & that I don't need to adjust anything ..other than giving me a prescription for 50,000 unit capsules (of Vitamin D , 25 Hydroxy) once a week for 8 weeks ...and after the 8 weeks, 2000 units (of OTC) daily. I’ve been on 25 mcg of Levothyroxine for a little over 2 months. And don’t really see a difference except that I’ve been losing more hair since starting the Levo which is totally freaking me out. Tnx in advance for any advice , it’s so appreciated!

Blood work results from 4/20/18 

TSH 4.23 mlU/L (0.40-4.50 ml/UL)

( Last results on 12/17/17 was 5.27 )

T3 free 2.8 ( 2.3-4.2 pg/mLF )

T4 free 1.2 ng/dl. ( 0.8- 1.8 ng/dl )

T4 Total 6.1 mcg/dL ( 4.5-12.0 )

Thyroglobulin Antibodies 293< or = 1 lU/mL F H ( or 1.0 normal ?)

Thyroid Peroxidase AB 54 < 9 IU/mL F H 

(Range less than 9 normal?)

Vitamin B12 482 pg/mL ( 200-1100 pg/mL)

Vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy 23 ng/mL (30-100 ng/mL)

*(THEY PRESCRIBED VITAMIN D3 50,000 unit caps , taking 1 capsule once p/week for 8 weeks ..& then after that 2000 OTC units daily 

Folate 17.4 ng/mL (it didn’t give a range here but I think they said it was low?)

Ferritin 158 ng/mL ( 20- 288 ng/mL )

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am very new at this as well Joey...
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine...do you have any questions? I am so new but will try & help if I can ..but the more knowledgeable ones here thankfully come forward with their wealth of knowledge to guide...it’s certainly been helping me!😉

• Posted

Vit K2 usually comes in 100mcg doses. Just take one everyday. They give K2 inj to newborns these days. K2 is in a lot of dairy too...gouda especially.
  • Posted

Vit K2 usually comes in 100mcg doses. Just take one everyday. They give K2 inj to newborns these days..control bleeding. . K2 is in a lot of dairy too...gouda especially. You hv to take Vit D3 Vit A and K2 with a CHOLESTEROL food or it wont be absorbed. Dont be afraid of cholesterol you need it to make all.hormones...and for general all around health. Synthroid really lowers cholesterol in some ppl. You want to lower your TPO TG antibodies very important. Have them tested every 6mths to year. Vit C powder.throughout the day may help lower abs. B vits just need water to be absorbed. You will probably feel.better when you get your vit D levels higher. Vit D deficiency is serious.
  • Posted

Vit K2 usually comes in 100mcg doses. Just take one everyday. They give K2 inj to newborns these days..control bleeding. . K2 is in a lot of dairy too...gouda especially. You hv to take Vit D3 Vit A and K2 with a CHOLESTEROL food or it wont be absorbed. Dont be afraid of cholesterol you need it to make all.hormones...and for general all around health. Synthroid really lowers cholesterol in some ppl. You want to lower your TPO TG antibodies very important. Have them tested every 6mths to year. Vit C powder.throughout the day may help lower abs. B vits just need water to be absorbed. You will probably feel.better when you get your vit D levels higher. Vit D deficiency is serious.
    • Posted

Tnx so much Mar ...I kept trying to find out how much to supplement that high amount of D3  & couldn’t find an answer. Took the 50000 units for the 3rd week yesterday & a few hours later I started feeling very anxious & trembling all over.  Hard to describe but was like a shaking or trembling everywhere. Scary .. Thankfully I have Xanax that I take on occasion & immediately took that & it eventually eased. Have felt anxious since starting the Levo also. Appreciate this info Mar ...I got the K2 today it was 45 Dose so took 2👍🏼

• Posted

Magnesium glycinate is really good fot calming your brain down. Dont think they give the high doses of vit D3 too much. D3 and K2 are also really good for brain and body and calming down. Try to keep away from antianxiety meds they are brain toxins.
  • Posted

Your TSH is not optimal. In USA now it's .3 to 3. There are some serious reasons these numbers changed mostly bc.of new research ...Your other tests arent that optimal so a little increase maybe every other day. Think all the nutrients I took and a suppressed TSH mightve put my antibodies to rest...I hope. Rather be just a treated hypo than a treated Hashi hypo. Antibodies raises risk of thyroid cancer in Hashi hypos.

• Posted

This is for MtCath just wondering what your TSH F3 FT4 and TPO TG abs now? If your med gave you optimal results just wondering what dose are you on now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.