Hysterectomy

Posted , 16 users are following.

had my total hysterectomy a week ago tomorrow when does anyone start doing things like hoovering and washing floors

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not till after 6 weeks. You need to rest, even after that just lift light things and ad careful bending, you have to let your body heal.X
  • Posted

I am 5 weeks post op. I have been doing light houswork such as dusting and washing up (no heavy pans) but Ive not used the hoover or steam cleaner yet...which for me is VERY hard lol. You might feel well enough to do things, but you have to remember you have a lot of internal healing to do, you don't want to do anything that will stop that from happening.
    • Posted

I nearly did Hoover the downstairs this morning but stopped myself I'm just going crazy sitting at home all my friends are at work so it's just me the cat and 11 month old golden retriever til hubbie gets home at 5.30 
  • Posted

I had my op on the 12th.....I know exactly how you feel.....I was looking outside and thinking  what a lovely drying day...... But my husband will have set an alarm on any electrical cleaning goods as he knows that I will be sitting and thinking what can I clean next...!!!! I was so bored this morning I even rang my boss to say I!, 

on a serious note, I did far too much at the weekend and could barely move yesterday.......I want to say be patient but I know that's tiresome........x

• Posted

Lyn listen to your body not your head catch up on chick flicks or start watching a mini series but definitely do not attempt any heavy lifting before 6 wks or u will pay the price for it . When i was having my pre op assess a woman was there who had a hysterectomy and because she did not listen to what she was told. She was waiting for another operation to go back in and repair where she had yorn . Ouch . Xxx i am 4 wks post op yesterday saw gp yestetday and he reinforced it is major surgery he said you have a lot of healing internally to do . So dont over do it . Xxx
  • Posted

I will echo what others have said, be patient listen to your body, I am at 10 weeks and this morning mopped 2 large floors then wished I hadnt, my tummy swelled in warning, in my head I could spring clean the house from top to bottom but in reality I know I still can't do that.

Take it easy you are very early days yet.

• Posted

7 weeks and back at work today ..warehouse work but took it easy..keyhole surgery for me ..feeling it tonight thou x
  • Posted

Hi I will be 5 weeks post TAH tomorrow. I've started to do things such as wipe the surfaces and I even cooked an evening meal last night but I am still not doing anything heavy. I was told 12 weeks before mopping/vacuming. I tried to bend to shave my own legs at the weekend and wished I hadn't! Please take things easy, you only have one attempt to recover from this op! smile x
    • Posted

I'm a week ahead of you and have only just started doing little things and still feel exhausted. Think it takes a long time for the body to heal inside.and because we can't see it we just think we're okay. Just rest a bit more and don't do too much X
    • Posted

Hi Val, thanks, don't worry most of my days are spent with my feet up on the sofa smile I've become very good friends with Mr Selfridge, never really liked a man with a beard but I might just make an exception! LOL My hubby and kids (12 + 14) have been great, they are not letting me do too much. How is your recovery going? I've can tell tel the difference almost on a daily basis smile
    • Posted

Glad your getting well looked after. I had rough couple of weeks as I got two infections inside where all the stitches are from the posterior repair they did at the same time, but starting to recover now. You do feel you can do more,but your body tells you different lol X
    • Posted

I am 10 weeks now and doing anything heavy even now causes the 'swelly belly' to happen, I am working my way though the house bit by bit (it must be Spring LOL) and this morning I did my cloakroom which is tiny and for about 5 hours afterwards I looked 24 months pregnant grrr! but like my consultant said it is the body's way of protecting itself so I suppose it is a good thing from that point of view. confused
    • Posted

Hi Val, glad to hear things are getting better for you and that there are no more infections, it could be because of those that even though you are a week ahead of me in terms or recovery you may be slightly behind, which could be why you are still so exhausted x
    • Posted

Hi Phoebe, it is surprising just how little things can have such a big effect. I've had some heavy discharge this week, I've been to the GP but am still waiting for results, I've rested all week but yesterday evening had a little 20 min walk around Asda and had terrible swelly belly afterwards, so painful sad
    • Posted

Little by little . More haste less speed. Take care and dont over do it xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.