Hysterectomy due to large ovarian cyst

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 41, never had children and am now facing a hysterectomy!

Following months of pain, I was finally diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst and now require a full hysterectomy.

Safe to say I am terrified. My pre-op is on 21st April and surgery on 27th.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you x

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear your having to have the op.

I had a full abdo hysterectomy on march 27th and as id had 2 caesareans knew the sort of pains to expect.

Best piece of advice get up as soon as they allow you and although you will feel like you cant walk or stand up straight the quicker you do the quicker you will get over the op.

The wind pain you get as your bowel gets back to normal can be awful but walking about helps. X

• Posted

Thank you, i really appreciate you taking the time to reply x
  • Posted

Hi. Do you know the size of your cyst? I am having an mri scan in the morning on a suspected small cyst. Wondering what my treatment options will be and what is classed as large.

Wish you well with your operation and a speedy recovery. There are lots of tips on here for post op, like a v cushion for lying and cushion or rolled towel for car home. And peppermint tea for the trapped gas. And BIG knickers! Good luck x

• Posted

Hi,

My Cyst is 8 x 8.5 x 10cm. I had an MRI and then 2 ultrasounds.

I think that treatment depends on size and growth rate etc.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope that you get the answers that you need x

• Posted

First of all, don't worry.  My ovarian cyst was 12 cms x 10cms.  I had a vertical incision and appendix removed as well, as cyst and ovary had wound round my appendix. I was given paracetamol and codeine for the pain and a button which when pressed dispersed small amounts of morphine if needed.  I didn't need it and anyway I lost it in the bedclothes somewhere!  However I didn't get much pain anyway.  Best to take a nightdress or nightshirt in with you and a light dressing gown, not pj's. Do as you are told and listen to their advice, you will recover more quickly that way.  The Physio may come and see you the next day and tell you what exercises you can do.  When you get out of bed, straighten up, don't be afraid as walking straight and not bent over is more comfortable.  Your tummy will be swollen at first, so take loose clothing with you, like stretchy waist trousers or track suit bottoms.  It does go down eventually but does take time.  Don't wear jeans as the button digs in.  Be patient, don't worry about housework when you get home, take it easy, don't lift anything, let everyone else do it for you.  You can make a cup of tea but only fill the kettle with a small amount of water enough for one cup.  I found that the Nurses were all brilliant and helpful.  Stop worrying, you will be okay, they will look after you.  I was only in hospital for two nights.  I had my surgery last September and am now feeling great.  The bonus is I can get into nearly all my trousers now.

I hope everything goes well for you, go in with a positive attitude and you will be okay.

• Posted

There's no need to worry it will be over before you know it i had mine in Nov 2015 and was very scared but I needn't have been just take it easy when you come home no housework the hard part is the recovery just take it one day at time good luck

• Posted

I am also 41. I had a hysterectomy ten months ago for an ovarian cyst & fibroid tumors. I was suppose to have robotic surgery, woke up to a ten inch incision due to a very bad case of undiagnosed endometriosis. I don't regret my surgery as all the issues I'm going to bring up are way better than the constant pain I was dealing with before surgery.

Here's the brutal truth I wish someone had let me in on -

1) it's going to be painful, but it's not the same pain as what you currently experience. Your incisions will burn, your muscles will be sore, but it will improve a little each day.

2) Morphine is not your friend. Wean yourself off as quickly as possible. Morphine also does not help with the gas pressure/pain you will experience in the hospital. It is intense, but slowly sitting up will help alleviate the pressure. Morphine also causes constipation, which is no fun after surgery.

3) it's okay to take it easy. Listen to your body. While moving & walking help, don't overdo it. You will start walking in the hospital, add a few more steps or minted each day.

4) do not lift, push, or vacuum until your doctor clears you. It will just set your recovery back.

5) there will be lots of swelling for months. It's natural. Your body will slowly return to its presurgery self. Every time you overdo it, the swelling will come back, but a little less each time.

6) HRT is your friend. Discuss options win your doctor. I went with an estridol patch - believe me, it helps.

7) HRT does not resolve all issues - you will be moody, have hot flashes, & occasionally feel despressed. Remember - all of this is still better than the horrific pain you've been in.

8) you may experience extreme vaginal dryness after things heal up. Discuss this with your doctor. It is extremely common. HRT can help. There also is an over the counter suppository that I swear by. Of all the advice I have received, this was the one that i needed the most. No one wants to talk about it, because really who goes around discussing the state of ones private areas, but this is the one thing I struggled with the most.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thank you for you for being honest, this is exactly what I needed.

This time next week I will be 2 days into my recovery!!

• Posted

I don't get why a cyst on an ovary makes it necessary to do a full hysterectomy? Why can't just the cyst be dealt with?

• Posted

They should have explained things more throughly and asked you if you had my concern s I think they probably did the hysterectomy as the fibroids ere big and perhaps they thought they would reacure if they just removed them on on i could be wrong but just a thought
    • Posted

But she only said she has a large ovarian cyst, not fibroids. Ovaries are quite separate to uterus.
    • Posted

As the cyst is large it needs removing in one piece along with the ovaries.

Although my scans are suggesting that the cyst is nothing sinister, they are not 100% sure, therefore a decision was made that it would be safer to remove everything and get it all tested.

What they don't want to do is remove cyst/ovaries, then have to go back in to remove womb.

On a plus side for me, this will hopefully deal with all the pain and mean that i can move on!

• Posted

No. They can be removed without taking the whole lot. Trouble being if uterus is removed without very good reason, then people don't realize you can end up with a life long raft of other worse complications from doing that. Ovarian cysts are most often now removed via laparoscopic surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.