Hysterectomy due to large ovarian cyst

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 41, never had children and am now facing a hysterectomy!

Following months of pain, I was finally diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst and now require a full hysterectomy.

Safe to say I am terrified. My pre-op is on 21st April and surgery on 27th.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you x

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As my cyst was so big and also growing quite quickly, they removed everything to ensure I would have no more trouble later on..   It was a good job they did  because my appendix also needed to be removed.  When I went for my checkup, the nurse said everything was measured, weighed and tested and all were clear and I would have no more problems in that area and no further treatment was necessary.  They will not remove everything unless it is necessary.

Hope everything goes well on the 27th.  You will be home before you know it!

• Posted

How are you? How did your surgery go? Hope you aren't in too much pain. Mine will be on May 16th. I'm nervous. Let us know how you're doing?

• Posted

I'm sorry for not replying sooner, the last couple of weeks are a blur!

Surgery went well. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy, vertical entry from bikini line to belly button.

As expected I'm a little sore but not as bad as I expected. I was up on day 2 and came home after 5 days.

The day after surgery my surgeon came to see me and said that my operation was more complicated that expected as they discovered that I had one of the worse cases of endometriosis that he had ever seen!

I didn't even know that I had endometriosis, it's never been diagnosed despite the number of tests/scans that I have had!

So it's a waiting game for me now.

Anyway as far as my hysterectomy is concerned I'm on the road to recovery!

Tips:

1. Big knickers are your friend!

2. Peppermint capsules / or tea - help with the gas!

3. Rolled towel or small pillow- hold against your tummy when laughing, coughing, going to the loo!

4. Rest......sleep as much as possible

5. Don't be afraid to have a little walk, it helps!

Good luck with your surgery, I hope that everything goes well xx

• Posted

Hope everything went well for you.  Let us know when you feel up to it.
  • Posted

Glad you are over the op and feeling better.  Good job you had a total abdominal.  Its amazing what they find, as in my appendix. Mine was also vertical, which I think is better than horizontal.  Don't try to rush things now though.  Best of luck to you and hope everything goes well from now on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.