Hysterectomy in two days

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi ladies, I wrote on this forum a few months back now and had such good advice.

Well my date for my hysterectomy is in two days ( Wednesday) I'm absolutely petrified, I'm not sleeping and I feel so nervous.

Any advice from any of you lovely ladies would be so much appreciated right now. Because at this point in time I feel like running in the opposite direction.

Thanks x

0 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya

It's natural to feel the way you are feeling at the moment, once you get to the hospital they make you feel so at ease honestly, the next 2 days try and relax maybe drink camomile and honey tea it's nice and it does help x make sure your bag is ready one less thing to think about, have someone to talk to maybe a friend or family member, I had a total hysterectomy in July I felt like you are now but I didn't go to work couple of days before as too nervous xxxx im here to talk to through out for you even if you want to talk privately xx good luck hon and take care xxx

Nic

• Posted

Thanks Nicola, I was surprisingly calm up until last night then it's just hit hit me like an express train this morning.

I'm just worried about not waking up after the anesthesia and the pain after the recovery in frightened that I'm going to get rid of one annoying problem to be hit with others. Been told the pain after the op is horrendous and you can get tonnes of infections as well. Xx

• Posted

Hi hon

I understand how you are feeling, I can't lie it is painful but the nurses are at hand to give you meds if needed x I felt it was sitting up and trying to love most uncomfortable, I tried tomoro myself not wanting to bother the nurses and pulled my catheter šŸ˜© but after that I asked them to help which they were great x make sure if you gave a catheter in they change it? Mine burst as they forgot empty it and got slight infection, other than that I felt most vulnerable when going home? I was omg no nurse to help etc but my family and friends were amazing xx regarding not waking up x please don't worry about that they monitor your every breath I felt the anesthetist was the best joking and making sure you were fine xxx don't worry chick they will look after you xxx

• Posted

Ann Marie, yes some women do experience pain afterwards but the nurses won't let you suffer they will keep your pain meds topped up, on the other end of the scale some women do not experience pain, I didn't, I never had 1 single pain killer, tell the admitting nurse and the anaesthetist your concerns, they will help you.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Thanks for all your advice Nicola, I will post on here again afterwards. Once in compas mentos that is

Ann x

• Posted

I had my total hysterectomy last February and I was the same as you before I worried I wouldn't wake up from the anaesthesia but I did and so will you just think in a couple of days it'll be over . Take and let us know how it all goes . Lyn x
  • Posted

Hi

I had mine last Easter and really did feel exactly like you. I felt trapped knowing a hysterectomy was my only option and didn't want to go through with it. I couldn't eat before the days leading up to the op as I was petrified! My worst fear was waking up from the op being in absolute agony, and it was nowhere as bad as my mind made me believe.

I can honesty say it really isn't as painful as you would imagine. Ok, it's no breeze and the recovery after is hard but not really painful, more uncomfortable. The worst is probably when you make your first steps, it feels like your stomachs on the floor! I found the sudden menopause due to losing ovaries was the hardest to cope with.

Good luck and try not to worry, the apprehension is worse than the actual op

Gail

• Posted

Hi there thanks for your advice I really do appreciate it. I'm having a total abdominal with bso I think that's what's it's called when they remove everything including the cervix, which I have to say why to that.

I am concerned about going straight into menopause as well but at quickly approaching 49 I'm already suffering night sweats and hot flushes. Thanks again Hun xx

• Posted

Hi Gail

Yes I found that the worst HRT I have tried 2 still feel weepy and I have forgot to take them in occasion and that's bad xx ann-Marie just take one day at a time we are all here for you xxxx

• Posted

Hi Ann Marie, it is completely natural to feel this way, I remember the feeling well, I used to pretend to be on a desert island when I felt really scared, I even posted a pic of it for all ladies to use if they want, Just keep thinking to yourself 'by this time Thursday it will all be over with and I can get on with my life'.

Will be thinking of you Wednesday.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Thanks phoebe, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed I'm not waiting all day to go to theatre as I have to be there at 7 am. Git to drink two pre op drinks before 6.30 anyone else had to do that xx
    • Posted

No, didn't have to drink anything, my surgeon doesn't ask for bowel prep either so I was lucky, I had to wait 5 hours on the ward, I had to be there at mid-day, surprisingly that time went by quite quickly as you have to be admitted then your consultant or one of his sidekicks come to see you then its the anaesthetist, before you know it you will be waking up in recovery with a few bits missingĀ eek but all betterĀ  and on the road to a full recovery.
  • Posted

Hi

No I didn't have to drink anything either? I had to be there 7.30 and my op was all over with by 11.30 I think I was one of the 1st down xx so over with quite quickly but I was talking to other ladies before going down we all sat in the waiting room all prepped waiting for your name to be called they were there for different reasons but lovely xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.