Hysterectomy in two days

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi ladies, I wrote on this forum a few months back now and had such good advice.

Well my date for my hysterectomy is in two days ( Wednesday) I'm absolutely petrified, I'm not sleeping and I feel so nervous.

Any advice from any of you lovely ladies would be so much appreciated right now. Because at this point in time I feel like running in the opposite direction.

Thanks x

0 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. I had TAH+BSO 6 weeks ago. I remember the feeling of wanting to run away so well..the anaethetist and nurses were fantastic, explaining procedures and reassuring throughout the induction..  When you wake, the feeling of relief that surgery is done is amazing, helped me get through recovery with totally manageable pain. Now I'm feeling better daily and so glad I had it done, many symtoms resolving nicely and menopause not as bad as I was led to believe by stories from those who have gone through it. I have my 6 week review tomorrow and considering hrt for health reasons rather than symptomatic relief, although I'm glad it's winter, hot flashes settle quickly. I am 47, so probably some of the same worries as you beforehand. I find I'm coping pretty well, so I believe you'll be happily surprised. Good Luck.x
    • Posted

Hi there Jasdip,

Thank you so much for those comforting words I really do appreciate the time you have taken to reply as with all the ladies who have. I hope that I feel the same as you and get through it ok it's such a frightening thing ( the unexpected )

Thanks again

Ann xx

• Posted

Hi, Ann marie,

I am so happy to spread a little joy!! I promise that the worst thing about the whole experience has been the apprehension beforehand. Even got my sense of humour back by now (in between crying due to hormone deprivation[joke, mostly!]). Today I received a huge load of incontinence pads from the NHS. Worried that they were trying to warn me about something before I checked the address and realised it was for next door! Served as a reminder, so I'm doing my pelvic floor excercises as I type.. (Honestly, no probs there, just in case I scared you). I feel for your anxiety at present and wih you the best. Will watch this to see how you are in a few days.xx

• Posted

Hi. I felt exactly the same I was convinced I wasn't coming home again. I had hysterectomy and oophorectomy in May and it was far worse in my head. It really is a case of falling asleep and waking up almost instantly but hours have past. I won't lie it hurt but nothing how I imagined and by time they put pain killers in me it really took edge off and felt like a period pain once dosed. I said yes to it all when offered but by next evening I didn't even take anything as was bareable and was home by then. There can be a lot of waiting around beforehand and we were not allowed visitors in the pre op unit so take something with you to pass the time. Fingers crossed you down first and up on ward in time for lunch as I was starving afterwards. I'd missed tea as last down so had gone 24 hrs without food so one of the lovely nurses shared her pack lunch. If I have to go in again I'll be packing snacks..... see if my worst thoughts of it was no food the op was fine lol. Keep busy until Wednesday and I wish you all the best. You'll be fine I'm sure 😊
    • Posted

Hi thank you so much for replying it's nice to know people ( you lovely ladies ) take time out if there day to help people like my really nervous self. Thank you so so much xx
    • Posted

I was helped so much by all the lovely ladies on here, we have all been where you are right now, we all know how you must be feeling, it is such a boost to be able to 'talk' to people who have been through the same as you have because you feel very much alone, I know I did, we will all be thinking of you on Wednesday just so that you know that you are not alone, let us know how you are when you get home.

Very best wishes.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Thank you, I think that's why I posted how I was feeling, because you do feel very alone. I'm that nervous now I feel sick. I will defiantly post on here when I'm home just to let you lovely ladies know how I am. Once again thank you all for today, dread to think how I'm going to be feeling tomorrow.

Much love

Ann x

• Posted

Spend tomorrow pampering yourself, have a long soak in the bath, go shopping, buy yourself something nice, try to take your mind off it all, on the morning of my op I couldn't wait to get going, I had got to the point where I wanted it done, I had stage 1 uterine cancer so it needed to all go, I was at the hospital a good hour before I was supposed to and was in good spirits, my son who drove me was as white as a sheet bless him he looked like he needed the hospital more than did, he made a rather hasty retreat lol. Take some trash mags with you, you probably won't be able to concentrate but at least you can look at the pictures, I was lucky and had Wi-Fi in the hospital I was in so took my tablet and was emailing friends to take my mind off it I think I was chatting on here as well it past the time.

Take care

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Hi there phoebe,

I am going shopping tomorrow was going to get a book to read but I will defiantly get some magazines as well. May ask where are you from ?

• Posted

Very nice part of the country, I'm from the West Midlands, unfortunately not so nice .xx
    • Posted

Surrey is a very expensive part of the country, I lived in Melton Mowbray for a while not quite West though more central I think, I'm hopeless at geography, if I don't have a map right in front of me. confused
  • Posted

Hi Ann Marie,

the run up and waiting for the surgery isn't nice but as everyone has already eluded to, it's not as bad as what we let ourselves imagine.

In a short time I bet you'll be someone providing the reassurance to someone on this forum!

All the best, keep us posted xx

• Posted

Hi there Lisa, I will defiantly keep you all posted you have all been so incredibly supportive.

• Posted

Hi ann Marie

Good luck for tomorrow, I'm from west mids too, what hospital are you having op done at?

• Posted

Aww good luck matey, not far from me I live near Cannock. I had mine done under nhs at rowley hall in Stafford, it was wonderful (the hospital)

Good luck it will soon be all over and on road to recovery

Gail x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.