Hysterectomy soon, so scared please help!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 41 years old and have four 4.5cm fibroids, one 6cm fibroids and about it 10 to 15 small ones that were visible on the ultrasound. I had a myomectomy in 2006 to remove four fibroids. I have had back pain, stomach pains, bladder issues, constipation and inhad no idea this was all caused by large fibroids. My doctor has scheduled my surgery for May 16th but I will drive myself crazy with worry before then. I'm afraid of bleeding to death during surgery or infection. My mind is my enemy right now I know. I'm scared, so scared. Please pray for me, that I get thru this ordeal. Did I mention I am scares!?? Thanks to whomever responds to help me thru this. I need all the support I can get ladies. Thank you all for reading.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You poor girl, but just get it in your head that's its goodbye nasty things and yipeeee for a future free of those growths. You won't bleed to death. Theatres are amazing places! Technology is brilliant. And theatres are sterile environments so you aren't at great risk of infection! You will be so much better off minus those "things"! Woop woop.

• Posted

Thank you so much robyn. I agree with you on the being better off part, its just getting to that point thats scarey.
  • Posted

Fear is completely natural, we all get scared...our minds do run wild with what if's but you have to weigh up whether the benefits outweigh the risks for you.

I'm 33, I had a total hysterectomy in February...I had a list of problems including fibroids, cysts, scars and adhesions. I also had your symptoms and more so for me the benefits outweighed the risks and I have to say it's made an incredible difference to my daily life. I still get tired quickly or some aches when I overdo it but I'm pretty sure that's because I'm still healing and it's nothing compared to the pain I had before.

16th February isn't far away but honestly, the worst thing you can do is sit and worry about what might happen. Focus on the benefits. Maybe plan to do something you haven't been able to do comfortably because your condition/pain has restricted you...Or book a pamper session or anything that makes you happy so that you have a nice treat to look forward to and then use that when you're feeling anxious...think about the things you're looking forward to.

I wish you the very best x

• Posted

May...sorry, I'm not sure why I wrote February. Having a moment lol x

• Posted

Aww, thank you. Yes these sympthoms are awful and it really affects the day to day life tremendously. Im just such a scaredy cat that Im allowing this to almost make me sick from worry. Thank you for your response, it did help me some. I plan to take some time to get more reading done for some classes I have since I will be unable to function much.
  • Posted

You poor thing! You will b absolutely fine but I would suggest that you talk at your pre op and later to the surgeon about your fears.They will be able to reassure you.

i had a hysterectomy and repair in February and I have sailed through the recovery, though I helped myself by listening to all the advice given to me and was incredibly sensible.

Nobody dies on the operating table these days unless they have huge underlying problems and the op is a life saving procedure.

Regarding infection; hospitals are very careful these days to monitor infections but you yourself can be extra careful with hygiene and by doing that you will know that you are helping yourself.

Also please talk about your fears to friends, partner whoever.

I wish you all the best.

Im sure that after your op you will be amazed at how good you feel after all you have been through,

Catherine 

• Posted

Thank you so much Catherine! I am so hopeful that you're right that nobody dies on the operating table these days. LOL. I mean, I know crap happens but I am pretty healthy overall and the only issues I have are the ones relating to those fibroids. I am a corrections officer and I am finding it hard to walk for long let alone run. thank you for you sweet comment, it has helped me. I will keep everyone posted 

• Posted

Everyone has fears of some sort especially with surgery so please dont think your alone.

When you go for pre op or if youve had that when u go in and have to go thru all the checks tell them your fears they will be able to put your mind at ease.

I had a tah on 27/03 surgery was fine i have few probs since uti and as i couldnt wear the compression socks dvt worry but nothing i wasnt prepared for.

Keep yourself busy by getting organised do some cooking to fill the freezer, get a few things sorted so u have something to do when recovering. I stock piled dvds and had lot crafting ready forvmy daughters wedding in November. Hope all goes well let me know if u want to stay in touch x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I like your idea of watching dvd's. I plan to netflix binge and watch as much as i can. I know it in my heart I will be ok, because I trust my God. However, it's just natural to worry about the unknown I think. I wish I didnt tho. Yes, I would love to stay in touch. I will be posting in the coming days about whats going on. I have a pre op with my dr. on May 10th to go over everything that will take place. I just pray I can take this until then. I get so full so fast now when I eat, and I feel so tight and hard in my belly. So tired of getting up to potty 6 or 7 times a night. Thanks again, chat soon. 

~Reece

• Posted

I know its natural to worry, but stop it now!  When you go for your pre-op, everything will be explained to you and don't forget to ask about anything you are worrying about.  They take great care of you and you won't be left alone.  You won't bleed to death and they are very careful about infections and suchlike.  I didn't bleed at all, just a slight discharge of watery brown stuff which cleared up quickly.  You will feel so much better after the op, although you will feel tired but it will be a relief.  You will experience some pain but it will be different and not half as bad as the pain you were having beforehand.  I felt worn out and bloated beforehand and everything was an effort.  Its now 7 months since I had my op and I feel great.  I can walk for much further and longer and I am back to doing more lengths swimming again.  Listen to their advice and do as you are told when you come out of hospital, you will have a much better recovery then.  Ask what you can and can't do and follow what they say.  Your tummy will be swollen for a while but it will go down eventually, patience is the answer in that respect.  Mine has now gone back to normal but it took 6 months.  I am 73 by the way, so you should be fine!

• Posted

Thank you Barbara, I have gotten much better since reading so many comments. I have read many horror stories but they are mostly in ladies who do too much after surgery or were already unhealthy. Wow at your activities at 73!!! I get tired swimming just a little bit, lol. I really pray that I am able to pull thru this thing with ease. Thank you again for your kind words, they really are helpful. I will definitely return here after May 16th to update you ladies.
  • Posted

Hi,

I would say try not to worry but we all do!

I didn't read many of the posts online prior to my op as I was already a worry wot about the op, let alone the possible complications... I was scared beyond belief!! Convinced I wasn't going to wake up in recovery, so much so that I wrote letters for my hubby and son just in case. This was mainly due to me losing my own father when I was 5 and he was 42 following an op.

I'm a petite size 6 so my fibroid was causing lots of pressure and bloating, particularly bladder issues as it had pushed my uterus into my bladder cavity and taken up more than 50%! I could feel a large mass low down on my pelvis and life was just becoming awful. I had to stop my gym classes as my tummy was too painful afterwards, and I was permanently sat with a heated bean bag when at home to ease the cramps. Thankfully I didn't suffer with heavy bleeding. ??

I had my op 21st Feb and I was honestly so scared, I was in tears but I knew it was the right thing so I needed to be brave. The nurses were great and I was up and about with my catheter removed at 7am the next day, the op being 2:30pm the day before. It was painful getting out of bed but a folded towel with pressure applied against my tummy really helped. The main issue I had was really bad trapped gas, which was really uncomfortable but did start to pass...??

I have a 6yr old but my mother in law and sister in law came to stay to help out for 2weeks whilst I recovered in the early days until I could at least do some very light duties.

?My hubby did the food shopping, tidying, cooking, bathed and put our son to bed so he was quite the house husband. Do you have any support for afterwards? If so please do let them help and just let the mundane stuff wait, it's only temp! ??My darling son had chicken pox 2 days before my op!! Great timing!!

I'm now nearly 10wks post op and feeling almost back to my normal self. It's been slow progress but I made sure I took it really easy as I wanted to recover and heal well, rather than undo all the good work the surgeon did for me. I had a sub-total abdominal horizontal hysterectomy and kept my ovaries as I'm 41yrs old.

I did have a tiny bed sore but that healed after a few days with sudocrem. I found it extremely hard to sleep the first week but found that being propped up high with pillows really helped a lot. I suffered with aching legs, mainly one and was referred for a scan in case of dvt but it was fine. I think my body/leg muscles went into shock from all the lying and sitting around as I'm just not used to doing nothing haha...

Expect to feel weak and wiped out but it does get better. At times when I felt low, after a few nights when I didn't sleep as I couldn't get comfortable, I reminded myself why I had the op in the first place and that I couldn't continue with life as it was due to my fibroids causing so many issues.

I spent a lot of time reading my kindle, having visitors and relaxing. The weeks flew past... Make the most of some time off relaxing 😉Try and do lots of little walks to stay active and eat well, lots of fruit and veg to get your bowels moving. I took senokot a few times. My bowels probably took a good 3/4 weeks to settle.

I am so pleased I had my hysterectomy despite all the negative things you can hear. It's nice to know I don't have a large fibroid growing inside me now and I can get on with life not having to worry about it, treatment options etc.... So many people I know tried lots of different treatments first including numerous myomectomy ops, drugs etc but then ended up having hysterectomies. I didn't want to take my chances with having any more fibroids so I made the decision to go straight for a hysterectomy but everyone is different.??

Good luck, you will be fine😉?

• Posted

Hi, and thank you for your reply. It sounds as if your issues were very similar to mine. I did have a myomectomy in 2006 being that I was only 30 years old at that time they would not perform a hysterectomy unless complications forced them to. I was lucky to have little to no issues after that procedure, but it seems they only grow back larger and numerous. I hope I am able to bounce back as well as you have. I will continue to post here in the days before and hopefully after the surgery. I plan to have a tablet to use while in the hospital as I'm sure my laptop is too large and phone to small, LOL. God Is Always With Me, so I pray it all goes well. 

• Posted

I'm terrified too Reece and mine's meant to be on Wednesday if I feel better as I've been ill with a cold! Ugh! Xx

• Posted

Gosh, holy moly!!! I think when I get to that point I will just be a BIG ball of nerves. I am ready for this to be over, it is all I think about. I will be thinking of you on Wednesday as you'll be in my prayers. All will be fine tho and please message me to let me know how you are as soon as you're up to it.  

• Posted

Yep that's me haha! I have good support around me plus the help of a lady I met on here who's been wonderful! Sure I'll reply to your private message x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.