Hysterectomy success stories

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does anyone have a hysterectomy success story? I'm booked in next week and am having serious doubts about whether I should go ahead with it. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

It’s the best thing I ever did health wise.

no more pain or periods.

i was 42, didn’t need my bits anymore, had a full hysterectomy and as I see it, 

3 less things to go wrong with my body, womb, ovarian and cervical cancer.

I’m on HRT have been for 15 years and have no plans on stopping at the moment.

im sure you will be fine. 

Good Luck with whatever you decide 

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Have you put on weight since you are on HRT ? Cause I feel I am putting on weight and I only started 4 months ago.

Dee

• Posted

Hi Dee.

Weight gain can be one of the side effect of HRT I’m afraid. I’m always up and down on the scale. Always have been so I Carnt really blame it on the hrt.  But some may say on here that they haven’t put on weight think it depends of the individual and what HRT they are on. 

Sorry for not being of any help 

Read up on which one has least side effects, but I’m happy and settled on tiberlone 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply.

Xx

• Posted

It would be helpful to know why you're having one, and what type you're having.  Its not that simple.  Many women have hysterectomies because they have no choice--such as in cancer.  That's why I had mine.  

Some women who've had hysterectomies have had bad experiences, but I think that women whose go well and recover easily aren't apt to visit sites like this, where you're somewhat more likely not  to see success stories, unfortunately. Those women are more likely to respond negatively to questions like yours. 

• Posted

Hi I would.like to add a success story. I had preventative surgery due to having breast cancer and family history of ovarian cancer. I am 46 so I decided to have full hysterectomy and ovaries out too. I can't have HRT due to oestrogen positive breast cancer. I am 2 weeks post op and feel great I have no pain and no real weight gain just a bit swollen. I am having mad hot sweats but I always feel the cold 😆 so they are not too bad. I don't know how bad my post menopause symptoms will get but at the moment I am doing extremely well better than I thought I would be.

• Posted

Also I would like to add that I had ovarian cysts on both ovaries and endermetrosis which had attached to my bowel, cervix and making its way up to my kidneys.

I was operated on 2 weeks after being seen by the consultant, because they didn’t no what they where dealing with.

i am one of those success stories and hope you are to. 

• Posted

Why are you having a hysterectomy Sarah, can you give more info such as are they keeping your cervix and fallopian tubes, how old are you etc, thanks.
  • Posted

I'm 46 with a 7cm fibroid that has caused an umbilical hernia. I am keeping my cervix and ovaries (hopefully) but don't know if these reasons justify such major surgery. Am I just having a nervous wobble? 

• Posted

Keeping the cervix and ovaries would, to me, be better than removing them, just wondering if there is any way they can take the fibroid out without the hysterectomy.  For the record, I take on board all the comments about hysterectomy for some women, being the best thing that every happened to them.  Also appreciate that success stories are not written about as, presumably, these lucky women just go about their lives with a happy outcome and don't post online, However, for me, if I had the choice again I would not have had a hysterectomy.  Wish someone had, in fact, been negative about their outcome as I wouldn't have gone ahead.  It's a lottery, I think, on the skills of the surgeon as to how you end up afterwards, what they take out and what major nerves are cut.  So at the expense of some ladies on this forum hating me, no one can guarantee their experience with what could happen with someone else's experience.  Are you in the UK Sarah?  If you can go to the expense of getting another opinion from a private surgeon, I would recommend it.  All the best to you in your decision.  

• Posted

Hello

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experiences.  I had a very positive experience (see my reply to Sarah).  I've stayed on this site so that I can contribute so that there are balanced views.  Of course the ultimate decision has to be made by the individual but my advice would be to read and be well informed plus choose a surgeon with an excellent reputation.  I paid privately for mine as I wish only to be operated on by consultants.  I also had the benefit of having gone to this gynaecologist for three years for HRT so had built a good rapport and relationship with him.  He was young and up with the latest knowledge.  He said "if you were my mother, I'd want you to have a hysterectomy".  That was sufficient for me as sons love their Mums and want the best for them.  (I don't have a son!).  

Kind regards

Lyn

• Posted

I think every opinion is valid as everyone's experience is unique. I have been backwards and forwards to the consultants and sought lots of opinions from women who have had the op. I'm totally on the fence and scared stiff to be honest. So worried about regretting it and there will be no going back 

• Posted

Sarah, you are quite correct.  No one's physiology is the same, and no one's body reacts to surgical procedures similarly. Despite what many physicians believe.  The  skill of the surgeon is important, too.

Is your doctor concerned that your body will still form fibroids in your uterus, unless your uterus is removed?    

• Posted

Yes I had a TCRE to remove my endometrial lining 3 years ago and the fibroids continued to grow within the lining of the uterus. I'm just not sure whether I should hang on for a few years until they begin to shrink naturally during menopause? 

• Posted

I'm sure that could be hoped for...but perhaps your doctor is concerned about more abnormal types of growths.  Your fibroids seem to have caused you some major difficulty already.  And menopause doesn't always mean fibroids shrink, you still retain some estrogen.  I know.  Enough estrogen to cause endometrial cancer, for instance.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.