Hysterectomy success stories

Posted , 10 users are following.

Does anyone have a hysterectomy success story? I'm booked in next week and am having serious doubts about whether I should go ahead with it. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sarah

As has been said by a number of people already, everyone has a different experience.  It is natural to be apprehensive about any surgery.  My own experience was an extremely positive one.  I had a total hysterectomy in May because a biopsy had shown some changes that my gynaecologist was concerned about so I elected to have a hysterectomy on his advice.  A week after the op I felt as though I had not had surgery, other than feeling tired.  The histology showed complex hyperplasia so no cancer but with the hysterectomy I've eliminated four possible cancers - endometrial, cervical, tubal, and ovarian.  I was on HRT previously and I'm still on oestrogen.  I feel absolutely marvellous.  I've had 6 surgeries in 4 years for other non-related conditions and I'm categorised as "awkward to intubate" so the anaesthetic has always been my concern rather than surgery.  Having confidence in your surgeon is very important.  I went privately so knew the consultant who was operating on me.  My care was excellent and I stayed in hospital for 3 nights.  

All the best Sarah - do let us know how things go for you.  

Re positive experiences, I've stayed on this site because I think that it's important to contribute and support others who might be apprehensive.  Lyn

• Posted

Hi Sarah

i had a full abdominal hysterectomy 11 weeks ago to remove a 24 cm fibroid and I wish I had done it 5 years ago rather carry that extra bulk around, I did try embolisation and the medication Esmaya to shrink this and it did not work. I am 43 and have started taking HRT, I feel great still get a little tired if I do too much and the odd ache if I over do things,but on the whole it has not been as bad as I thought it was going to be.  My surgeon gave me the option to keep my ovaries and cervix, however also explained the risks of keeping them, so my decision was to take that risk away and I now don’t have the worries of those types of cancers or cysts growing.

I am sure you would not have been advised to have this type of surgery if they did not think it was necessary.

Stay positive, from my own experience I am so glad I had the surgery. There is a lot of support on this site and as you can see you only need to ask a question and someone will be able to share their experience.

I wish you well

Anita xx

• Posted

Thank you Anita, 

Wow that was a big one! Did you have long, heavy periods? 

It's good to hear that esmya didn't work as I was prescribed this but couldn't get it from my Trust. 

It's great to hear HRT is working for you, has it evened out your moods?

You have really put my mind at ease, I was seriously considering opting out in the naïve hope that things would just get better naturally. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Glad to have been of some help.  I had no issues with my periods, not very heavy and lasting only two days and that was part of the issue that I didn’t realise anything was wrong, apart from a swollen stomach and pain in my right side. 

I took Esmya for four months and the cramps and hot flushes were not worth the results of very little shrinkage. 

To be honest the first 24 hours after the operation are not great and quite painful, but after that that I was able to get up and go for short walks and by the end of the first week I was able to walk about half a mile and have continued to build on that until back to normal. As for the HRT, I started that in the first week after the operation as the surgeon explained my body still needed those hormones, so don’t really know what it would have been without them.

Now 11 weeks on I still have some numbness across my stomach and the odd twinges when I picked up something to heavy. Don’t do anything for those first 6 weeks apart from rest, don’t lift anything heavier than 2.5 kilos, but take short walks and then rest again.

if you need anything send me a message and I will try to help.

xx

• Posted

Thank you so so much Anita. 

Do you feel better now the mass has been removed? 

Do you have more energy? 

I really appreciate the support

Sarah

Xx 

• Posted

As soon as I woke up I could feel the difference, even though I was very sore i knew I had made the right decision. As for energy I felt great when I was off work full of beans and ready to take on the world. Going back to work has been tiring but I am adjusting again. I have taken up a ballet and tap class to help with posture and something I really enjoyed in my teenage years.

xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah- I had a DaVinci hysterectomy on July 20.  They took my uterus , cervix and Fallopian tubes but I kept the ovaries.  I had two fibroids that were giving me issues.  I was in the hospital overnight and then went home.  First week was tough but after that not too bad.  Although it was about three weeks until I could stand anything touching my stomach.  I still get an occasional twinge but it is not painful.  Recovery in general hasn't been too bad although I had an issue with yeast infections and now I have trouble sleeping and am not sure if that is tied to the surgery or not.  Other than that, I have felt great!  I hope you are able to come to a decision.  I know it was tough for me but I'm glad I did it!  

• Posted

I had my surgery in July!  I never had any pain or bleeding.  I was uncomfortable and tired for a few weeks but all in all it was the best decision  ever made.  You are going to be just fine!
  • Posted

Thank you so much Cara. 

I feel such a wuss! 

It's great to hear the success stories! 

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience 😊

Sometimes we just need someone to tell us it will all be just fine! 

• Posted

Soooo, operation cancelled again! I was all set, waiting in the gown and surgical stockings, anaesthetist at the ready when I was told to go home as there were no beds. 7 hours I sat there, waiting. What an appalling state of affairs we are in with NHS 😖

• Posted

I had my full hysterectomy done in June. Recovered and was on my feet  from 2nd week. Best thing ever. Now no more pain and no more periods !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.