Hysteroscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello been booked in for a Hysteroscopy next week under general but my mum had this done while just being sedative anyone else had the sedative as I am petrified of being put under never been put under before 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kelly

I am booked in for one next week too, but I am not being put under.  I am having a local anaesthetic on my cervix so that it makes it numb.  I shouldn't be able to feel it, that is the plan anyway.

I have had lots of support from the lovely ladies on this forum which has eased my concern somewhat. 

Good Luck with your hysteroscopy.  Let us know how you get on.  I am going to post how I get on too.

Marie

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I had this done without any form of anaesthetic, if you are not happy about having a general anaesthetic then you must tell the hospital, they cannot do anything to you without your permission, I can't stress that strongly enough, it is your body, If you just want sedation or as marie has said they can numb just the cervix, I was supposed to have an MRI scan before my hysterectomy and I refused point blank (I'm claustraphobic) they offered to sedate me but I said absolutely no way! and that was that, please don't be scared to ask for something other than GA.

Phoebe

• Posted

Well they wanted me to take painkillers at first but I said no and they said they don't do anything other apart from GA or painkillers but I don't know why I can't have a local and sedation
    • Posted

I have got to take painkillers as well.  Where are you having yours done?
    • Posted

I'm going into hospital why have you got to take painkillers as well ? Will the local not numb the area so you don't feel any pain ?
    • Posted

I am going to hospital too, I have to take Ibuprofen to ease the inflammation afterwards and paracetamol to ease the pain.
    • Posted

Yeah doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when I wasn't offered either, they must have thought I looked like a tough old bird, LOL! any way it didn't hurt any more than having a smear done, it was uncomfortable thats all, I have had 2 children and one of them was a 10 pounder so perhaps that makes a difference.
    • Posted

Does anyone recommend having the mirena coil fitted at the same time as a hysteroscopy ?
  • Posted

Don't worry you won't feel a thing and the whole thing only takes 10 minutes it be over b you know it
    • Posted

That was my experience also, from my arriving at the hospital to me going home again was less than an hour.
    • Posted

I was told I could take paracetamol, but I never needed it, I meant to say earlier that when I had a biopsy done a week later it was also done this way, I was asked this time if I thought I needed a GA for that, I just wanted it over and done, even that was just what I would call a little more than uncomfortable, I did bleed quite a bit afterwards, I think I have a very high pain threshold as after my hysterectomy I never once needed pain relief either. Have you been told why your hospital only use GA? Seems very pricey for a day case procedure.
    • Posted

I had a general for a hystcopey as I was told it was safer he was a very good surgeon and I was out b the day was out and also felt very little pain
    • Posted

I think it has a lot to do with where you have it done and the preferences for that hospital, my consultant was brilliant also but if I had wanted a GA I would have had to wait another couple of weeks, if you read the nhs website they say you may be offered GA or local, it's not definite though, again it depends on the hospital and consultant, similarly some consultants insist on bowel prep before hysterectomy mine didn't thank goodness. 😊
    • Posted

Yes that's true I didn't have a bowel prep either thank goodness I was narrow and he had difficulty getting up but I'm glad I had hysterectomy in the end as I kept bleeding iractaolly which could have been worse if left
    • Posted

Mine was worse, I had grade 1A cancer, still having check ups now, I HATE internal exams, men don't realise how lucky they are LOL.
    • Posted

No my hospital wanted me to have it done while I was awake but I was reluctant cuz of the pain I asked for sedation while awake but they won't do that so had to settle for a GA
    • Posted

Ah that's different then. You will be fine I know you have never had a GA, it's not so bad, I have had 3 now and the first one was when I was just 9, things are much better now than back then in the dark ages 😊, all will be over before you know it.

I will be thinking of you, let us know how you get on.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi phoebe

I had my hysteroscopy on Thursday afternoon under GA but it knock me for six I went down at 3.30 I was still in recovery at 6 but anyway had it all done now so glad it's over with they found a poypl and scrap some cells from my womb now waiting on results

• Posted

Hi Kelly, so glad you got through it alright, was the polyp removed as well?
    • Posted

That's good, when I had polyps they didn't remove them and 15

years later I was diagnosed with stage 1A cancer,

Perhaps if they had been removed that might not

have happened.

• Posted

Thats why had hysterectomy as I was bleeding irregularly and the gone advised to have it otherwise if left I could have ended up worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.