Hysteroscopy and Biopsy ( Terrified)

Posted , 13 users are following.

Can i just ask anyone had this procedure.... was you put asleep when u had the hysteroscopy and biopsy....as i went for my pre-op today....and they said i will be awake for my hysteroscopy and biopsy...i am terrified...they said don't worry if it hurts we can give me gas and air OMG!

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had a biopsy and didn't have anything but some ibuprofen. It was hardly more than a pap. Just a little more uncomfortable but nothing major at all. I haven't had a hysteroscopy though.

• Posted

Thanks Becky...u must have had a biopsy of your cervix....not inside your womb....but even that would scare me...i'm a drama queen haha x

• Posted

I had a biopsy -uterus, no ibuprofen even and I dont think I needed it . Honestly, I think most women, unless there is a specific issue like Michelle, have no big problem with it. I think it is more a sample of the blood lining, it felt a bit like something was pulling in my womb, not exactly painful,more achy maybe, uncomfortable. Going to a dentist is worse!
    • Posted

Thanks Iana...i don't mind the dentist....i would rather go there haha...i will update wen i have had it done....i bet i will be back fuming..startin a petition to ban this procedure without GA x

• Posted

Hi there, I had it, wide awake, didn't need the gas and air.  Felt like a PAP smear.  I lay there terified like you, and ready to scream.  I remember saying 'hurry up, I cant stand the tension...' they said,  it's done.  My advice would be, if you feel the slightest twinge, scream the place down.  Or cry your eyes out on your way in, so they give you sedation smile   Don't worry hun.  Its a breeze x 

• Posted

Thanks Lesley...the thought of them going through into my cervix t...and then taking a piece of my womb....while im awake...can't even imagin not feelling it...i want to vomit !.....i am a coward...i don't even know how i had 2 children haha x

• Posted

Biopsy wasn't awful. A bit uncomfortable, but not more. I walked right afterwards as I had no near parking. Nothing to fear in terms of pain.

• Posted

Hi I had a Hysterectomy and I was not awake for this but some other lady's were but had epidural so they didn't feel anything they listened to music and were totally ok one thing about being awake you don't get the yucky after affects of sedation take up your concerns when to go to have the op good luck and let us know his you got on

• Posted

Thanks Gill...if it was a hysterectomy i would be fefusing point blank to be awake x
  • Posted

Hysteroscopy is just a tube used to look inside the vagina and cervix. Some women don't feel anything or just a minor discomfort. You are put to sleep since there's hardly any discomfort.

• Posted

oops..you are NOT put to sleep, I mean.
  • Posted

It is uncomfortable and you should be asleep for it.
    • Posted

For some people Lesley it is very uncomfortable as I have experienced being awake while trying to have a hysteroscopy but it was very very painful for me and I have to have it done while asleep.although I do have deep endometriosis and a nodule of endo behind cervix not sure if this could have made it especially painful for me personally ? On the other hand my friend on here had it awake and she was absolutely fine.we are all different and should not compare one to the other on this.😊😊

• Posted

Michelles, what exactly is this: I do have deep endometriosis and a nodule of endo behind cervix. Did they give medication or D&C or is it something that gets better as you age?

• Posted

Hello I was only diagnosed in April after an mri showed deep infiltrating endo which means nodules,mine is on uteral sacral ligaments,behind cervix and endometriomas on right ovary,have you this elsewhere too ? I'm

Not really in any pain and must have had it years and years for it to be deep,no treatment as yet as he said we treat the lady not the stage of endo.are you in any pain ? I feel discomfort sometimes and am scared to death of this hysteroscopy I feel I won't be able to

Go ahead with it as have a deep deep fear of a general anaesthetic and I'm

Seriously thinking of asking to try again being awake !!! Can anyone advise me on this please I'm

Sure my endo is making the hysteroscopy more painful as everyone else didn't find it a problem !!! Xxx

• Posted

Thanks Linda>>>>i surpose everyone has there own pain threshhold...mine is zero x

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I recall having local anethesia given to me one time. You can probably request the same. Reason you have pain is because you could possibly have spots of endometriosis in your vagina wall which can cause women pain. They can also give you a valium to calm you before the procedure. Except you would need someone to pick you up.
    • Posted

Michelle, what all are yu getting done besides scope?
    • Posted

Just to check lining of womb and Mrs picked up a small endometrial clot but he told me he wasn't concerned about it.i had a heavy bleed in March and Mri diagnosed deep endo and this clot.xx

• Posted

Thank you and yes I know I have fibroids too and a bulky uterus as well as endometriosis !! I'm 49 and only found out in March after a heavy period they sent me for a scan and saw endometrioma then an mri showed deep nodules of endo and a small clot in uterus.so husteroscopy was advised to just look at clot but I am spotting but I'm on norethesterone so not sure what's causing what xx

• Posted

How long have you been on norethesterone as it's usually given to stop heavy bleeding(menorrhagia)?

• Posted

Since march when I had a heavy bleed i take it for 3 weeks then have a weeks break but I spot in between lightly.i was diagnosed with a endometrial small clot after an mri which was probably why I had a heavy bleed as I knew it wasn't a period.xx

• Posted

I see. So then, no big deal. You can request to have local anethesia where you won't feel a thing or/and a relaxer. Unless,  it's too painful then you may need to be put under. Hope it all works out, best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you I think I may need to ask again yes.noone has ever explained what a small endometrial dependant clot is,and why I would get one have you any idea what this is or anyone have an idea what this is ? I hope it's dispersed by now as this was in April.i knew my period wasn't a period in March as it was horrific like a haemorrhage,stopped with norethesterone after 3 weeks. Xxx

• Posted

Oh there's no need to apologise Lesley I must be the biggest baby ever but I do have deep endo so maybe This is what's causing my difficulties xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.