Hysteroscopy concern

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have to have a hysteroscopy on 2 Septermber to take biopsies to check I dont have endometrial cancer

I had a hysteroscopy in July 2015 as I had a thickened lining and a polyp. The polyp was removed and biopsies were taken which came back as all clear. At the time I was having heavy periods and a lot of pain, but mostly normal cycles. I was in perimenopause and sometimes my cycles were longer and sometimes shorter. I had one period in the April that dragged on for nearly a month but was very light most of the time. 

After the hysteroscopy the pain subsided and I had 3 normal periods. I then started my November period as expected but it was extremely light and would disappear for a couple of days and then come back and then disappear again. This carried on for a few weeks until towards the end of December when I had very heavy bleeding and clots for a while. I continued bleeding until end January when I stopped for a week. A Vaginal Ultrasound at the beginning of Jan showed thickened lining still. I then bled for three weeks in February, three weeks in March, one week of brown spotting in April, bled for the whole of May, three weeks of no bleeding and then bled for the whole of July. One week of no bleeding and then I'm bleeding through and still today. 

I am beside myself with worry that the hysteroscopy is going to show cancer because of this abnormal bleeding. The GP had wanted me to have the coil but I refused and it wasnt until May that they referred me to gynae - only getting an appointment last week with a consultant. 

I asked the consultant if it was cancer and becasue I had been bleeding so much since Dec, would that mean the cancer would likely by now have spread outside and she obviously couldnt answer that. 

By the way I am 49. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Polyps can make you bleed like the Dickens so hopefully now that it's gone the bleeding will "normalize." I put that in quotes because cycles can be very erratic during perimenopause anyway. I hope you fall into the majority and your biopsies are benign just like your previous one was. Keep in mind too that some fibroids (and maybe polyps too) cannot be differentiated from the lining itself on ultrasound making the lining look thicker than it is.

As far as the treatment options offered - I personally would start with the least invasive, the norethesterone. I would avoid ablation because it can cause post ablation syndrome in the long term causing chronic pelvic pain because the monthly build up of blood can get trapped in the uterus and tubes.

Please keep us posted and try not to think the worst.

• Posted

Hi, Im on the noristhesone and have been for just over a year now. My consutant waned me to have coil or ablation but i didnt want either. He is happy for me to stay on the tablets and at the moment they seem to be working.

They found a polyp when they did the hysteroscopy which i still need removing, i have to ahve a general for that though and  my BP was too high so waiting for another appontment. When you ahd your polyp removed , how was you? did you bleed a lot after, that is one of my fears?

• Posted

Hi. My first polyp removal I bled a fair bit straight away but it settled by the time I went home that evening and just dribbled for about a week. With this one I bled a lot and when I had my first pee but it stopped totally before I went home and havent bled again so far. The nurses will check your blood loss before you go home and will give guidance on what to look out for. Dont worry. Hope it all goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.