I am 5 wks after partial knee replacement knee feels really tight and swollen

Posted , 70 users are following.

I thought I was doing OK after 5 wks following partial knee replacement, I have been back at work driving 50 miles each way after 4 days knee has got quite painful again so back on the codeine. Is it common to have set backs when it gets more painful again before getting better again.

Any comments appreciated,

Thanks

3 likes, 158 replies

158 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hello robert ... you could be telling my story! I am also 5.2 weeks post op but had to go back to work after 3 (long story). i am on set of pain killers on one day, another on the next (alternating). when i am one set, i am sooooo tearful and by the evening i feel like i am coming down with a serious case of the flu ... all i can do is crawl (on my sticks!!) home take my evening lot of pills, ice and elevate. i totally hate these days and feel like it will never ever get better. basically, i think we all expect a lot from our bodies and for most of us, the severity of the operation comes unexpectedly. as gloria rightly pointed out, patience really is a virtue in our case. the way i see it, little by little the good days will outweigh the bad and luckily my physio had warned me that i would have to be VERY patient until christmas and then some more until 12 months had gone by. sadly, patience is not my forte :-)

hang in there.

• Posted

Oh Britta

I do feel for you ; back to work after three weeks - my goodness me, you poor poor girl!

Tracey x

• Posted

Thanks for that Britta I will keep on with the ice I sometimes get pain in the ligament at the back of the knee also as this ligament remains with a partial knee replacement.. I have heard other people get pain in this ligament also
    • Posted

I get pain at the back of the knee too. Physio told me today it is a tight hamstring muscle and has given me an exercise to do to work on strengthening it. I'm hoping it will work. Jen 
    • Posted

i have this pain too  tightens up  right down to the sole of my foot... what exercise dis he give you?. 
    • Posted

Lie flat on your back. Place both feet on floor/bed, knees bent. Raise your buttocks and hold, pressing down on your feet and feeling pull at back of thigh. It's easier to do it using both feet to support you but he told me to try to progress to just using the bad leg if I can. I tried it on my bed but found it was a bit too soft so actually managed to get down on the floor! Don't know if you should check if it's suitable for you? How many weeks post op are you? I'm 12 weeks . I could tell mine was weak when I did it with my good leg fairly easily but it was very hard to lift up just using my bad leg. The class physio is seeing me individually week after next to work on it some more so I'll let you know what she says. Jen 
    • Posted

Cindy did your insurance pay for your ice machine and if so how did you make it happen?
  • Posted

Hi Robert ,

yes this quite normal as you use the knee more. I was told not to drive for 6 weeks after KNR  and didn't drive for even longer .. That's a lot of driving , so yes I would expect pain and swelling . Just sitting in the car for  long periods make  my knees stiff and I am 14 weeks now. Good luck, sounds as though your are doing well 

Pam 

• Posted

Hi I'm 4.5 weeks post op and I get good and bad days ,today my leg feels tight and swollen ,it's tougher than I thought and sometimes wish I hadn't had it done but I know it was for the best . Hopefully it will get better ,we must remember not to over do things or risk set backs , it's good to know it's not just me having the same symptoms as others ,keep your chin up and look forward it acan only get better with each day .

• Posted

Hi, I'm only a week post op but I was thinking today I wish I never had this done. At least I know I'm not the only one thinking this.... Prayers that you all recover quickly- Nancy

• Posted

so good to hear that others are having the same problems I know that sounds bad but I'm but sometimes you feel like you're the only one. It does give me hope to know that it's not just me.

• Posted

I had partial knee replacement a month ago.  My knee is doing well, except going down steps.  

The worst part is the hip pain that I have.  I sometimes can barely walk--not because of my knee--but my hip!

I don't want to take pain killers, but I understand about the codeine.  I'm still taking Oxycontin.  Not as much as after surgery, but more than I want.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.