I am 5 wks after partial knee replacement knee feels really tight and swollen

Posted , 70 users are following.

I thought I was doing OK after 5 wks following partial knee replacement, I have been back at work driving 50 miles each way after 4 days knee has got quite painful again so back on the codeine. Is it common to have set backs when it gets more painful again before getting better again.

Any comments appreciated,

Thanks

3 likes, 158 replies

158 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 3 weeks post op with a partial outside right knee replacement.  Doing well. I have physical therapy 3 times a week and I also have home exercises 2 times a day. The issue I am having is when I walk my entire knee from the inside across the front pulls to the outside making it very uncomfortable walking. It is very tight across the center of my knee. After a couple of minutes it begins to pull across the back of my knee. Is this norma?. I have 127 degrees of bending and I can fully extend my leg. I only feel this walking not during my exercises.

Thanks

• Posted

I am five weeks postop with a partial inside knee replacement.  My knee is still hot and swollen. I'm doing well in physical therapy it's getting the range of motion almost completely normal but I have been having a lot of pain especially at night.  I feel the tightness also but I also feel it during exercise. My main issue is pain. 
    • Posted

At 6 weeks my night pain just quite and it is 5 days since I have taken a pain pill.   It's still healing and it's going to be warm with that for a long time.  My doc told me that even with a partial it is a year before complete healing!
    • Posted

Hi ! I also had partial right knee outside . I understand this is not usual (5%). Had surgery 10 days ago. Doc says I'm doing very good. I too have pain on the inside of knee . I am very concerned over it . Almost feels like s torn ligament . My Doctor doesn't send you to PT with partials but I think I am going to go on my own . If it weren't for that pain I could walk without the cane. Trying to stay positive but it's difficult . How are you doing at this point ?
    • Posted

11 months ago I replied to you.   One year ago to date I have that partial that I wrote about. Five days ago I had to have it redone and have a complete knee replacement.   Actually I am doing much better than the first time around except for the oxycodone makes me deathly  sick to my stomach! I already have amazing flexion and my straight leg  straighter than it was before already. I'll keep you all posted as to how I am doing with a  complete knee

• Posted

Hi Janet

What happened that you had to have the total ? I am 7 months po from partial. I am doing good but I hear so many say that ? What happened?

Glad you are doing better now with the total but I can't imaging going through that . The recovery is so much longer with a total .

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Jannet

Wondering what happened that you needed to have the total done . My partial was 16 months ago . I'm doing good but not great . Definitely have my life back but it seems if I do too much of anything it feels all tight and swollen then I gave to take it easy few days .

Debbie

• Posted

hi Janet

Wondering why you needed to have the total?

I Am  18 PO PKR and I keep getting  swell

• Posted

Hi, everyone I am new this forum . I am 5 wk into my partial knee replacement on my right knee , just went back to work could not do an 8 hr shift had to leave , it's hard to drive , at night the pain is the worst I can not sleep , I walk the house like a ghost until 5 am then the pain ease up, my knee is so stiff , my knee bends 110/degree my physio say it has to go 125 

i walk with a limp and the worst is my knee is bend I try to get it straight with exercise but not working , I really thought it was just me going through this issue, well I hope with we all will get through this and back to our normal life again

• Posted

I take my pain medication....starting at FIVE or six at night that way I can sleep...it takes half an hour or so to kick in....then every six hours then I also do massages at night with icing this seems to help with the swelling and pain
    • Posted

I make sure and take my pain med about the same time as you so I can sleep. Ice right before I go to bed.
    • Posted

hi just wanted to let you know that I too am walking the house like a ghost at night until the wee hours. TKR on left knee almost 6 weeks ago. I do pretty well during the day. But knee is swollen and has spasms at night. I have taken up painting with acryllics at night to keep my mind off the pain. I watch some painting tutorials with Bob Ross thru PBS on my phone. This knee recovery feels like a full time chore sometimes. Thinking about it in terms of a YEAR is discouraging and makes me wish I hadn't done it. I can walk downhill without any pain now.

• Posted

Five weeks....my...you are brave. tkr..r on 1/28...still pain...still stif.in also take the pain killer.oxycodone...i try to take as few as possible...so how soon did you go back to work
  • Posted

You are back to work.....wow....I did total Jan 28....still have stiffness...at night I start taking my codeine. ..during the day I take naproxen ...did the Dr gave you the ok to go back to work so quickly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.