I'am 61 yr old african american, born and raised in Omaha Ne

Posted , 7 users are following.

My Bp, started going up about 3months ago. I've been in and out of the hospital 3times in 2weeks. I walk 3 miles a day, I eat good, (no salt) drink lots of water. my bp this morning was 210/95, on July 03, it was 201/110, the va doctor added another medication, I'am really afraid, please any advise would helpful.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mm a tad high....it can take awhile before the medications work. Meantime breathing exercises, exercise, NO SALT......just fruit and veggies and anything that with bring your BP down like raw oats, quinoa, chia... Mix a little of each with milk and honey each morning.... They do bring the BP down..good luck
    • Posted

thank you very much jackie, im really trying to eat right, i heard that garlic brings down bp, can you confirm?, again thank you very much.
  • Posted

That is seriously high, you must get your doctor to get you on a medication that works. If you leave it like this, you will end up having a stroke.
    • Posted

i know, i just took it, it was 164/82, i now take a water pill with my lisinopril, iĀ  think its ok for now
    • Posted

Yes, I take one as well. A lot of the newer type BP medicaations cause oedema in the feet/ankles.
    • Posted

Rickey, that BP level sounds much better. You're obviously doing something right!

• Posted

Hi Rickey,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem but glad that you're getting good medical advice. Sounds like you're doing a lot of the right things - especially exercise and no salt. It's also important to cut down on carbs (especially sugars) if you're not doing this already. That's going to mean avoiding refined foods as much as possible, and not drinking sodas - though I note you already say you're drinking water, which is good. I'm just wondering whether your weight is OK. Losing weight can be very beneficial.

Unfortunately, at your levels, you're not someone who's going to be able to be able to manage your high BP without meds. I'd advise getting a home BP monitor if you haven't already got one and checking your BP every day. And maybe you could ask your doctor about doing a 24-hour monitoring check, if you haven't already?

I'm sure the doctor will help you find a solution. Try not to get too afraid, as anxiety can push up your BP even further.

• Posted

Hi Ricky, Remember that most of the risks associated with high blood pressure are due to the damage done over time. In your case it seems that this is a new problem and your Doctors are starting the process of manageing it. This will probably take a little time to get the right drugs and its unlikely that you will be able to do a great deal to spead this up, your lifestyle looks pretty good already. They will also be investigating potential causes, but these are often difficult to pin down. I suspect the best thing to do is just try take thing easy, worry doesn't help unfortunatly, you will have to give it time, even the drugs take a bit of time to reach their full effectiveness. I'm sure it will start to come down shortly which should reassure you a bit, but don't be to surprised if it takes a while to get right. Best wishes.

• Posted

Salads and good oils like in Mediterranean diet. And lower your cholesterol . lower your sodium by checking food that doesn't taste salty. There are blood pressure meds that work better with different ethnicities and genders

• Posted

Rickey, remember it takes awhile for the body to adjust to the medication. But once it is under control its heaven. No more worries. Out of curiosity... What have you been prescribed and at what times do u take them and what is the dosage. šŸ‡šŸ‰šŸŽšŸšŸšŸ“šŸ…šŸŠšŸˆšŸšŸ‘šŸŒ¶. And no salt. šŸ˜‡
    • Posted

Hi jackie, I've been taking lisinopril for years and hydrochlorothiazide started July11, I still have high bp readings but not crazy numbers. I have constant head pain, i hope that goes away, but yeah no salt or fried foods also no fast foods right now, I'am trying to get my weight down, I'am 5'7 and weight 205lbs.

• Posted

Oh dear.... Weight is not good for your condition. Headaches are from blood pressure being up. The minute mines goes up I get a shocking headache but luckily my BP is totally under control though it took 6 months and five different medications to get there. I'm on hyperdix.. Half in the morning and half at night. The dosage I sorted out myself as the full pill didn't seem to last 24 hours so I halved it and take every 12 hours and it worked. U must get your weight down, if u don't mind me saying so. This is most likely the reason for your High blood pressure. Have u ever thought of checking into a clinic that specializes in diets and all that stuff or are u strong enough to say NO to almost all foods and eat only salads, fruits and vegetables pretty much. I was 66 kilos and was told to loose weight and in two months I've gone down to 61 eating ONLY vegetables, chicken, fruit, and raw oats and Quinoa with a little honey ( Australian honey of course). I live in Thailand and can't stand the spicy foods so I buy whatever Aussie food I can find US stuff too. No cheeses, salt and I read everything I buy to be sure there is nothing I shouldn't have in it. Boring as hell but I do want to live a bit longer. Lololol so do u Rickey. smile ????????????

• Posted

Hi Rickey,

Yes, I'm afraid you are going to have to lose quite a bit of weight. Your current weight vs. your height clearly puts you in the obese category, which is clearly having an effect on your BP. However, that doesn't mean you have to live on a diet of rabbit food. You've said from the start that you eat very little salt, so now the next urgent thing to focus on is sugar - particularly the refined sort in cookies, candy, pastries, sodas, and don't forget there's loads of the stuff in fast foods, even the savoury kind.

I'd say don't set the bar on dieting too high, to avoid getting discouraged and giving up.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.