I am anxious about taking Mirtazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I have a very stressed life, which is causing me to have anxitey attacks, and also making me moody, I find no joy in my life, so I went to the doctors and he gave me mirtazapine and some propranol, but I haven't taken any yet, as I am very anxious about taking them, just so scared in case they make me feel weird or make me feel like a zombie, as I have children to see to, I am one of these people who research everything, but then I scare myself LOL. so now I am sat here looking at the box of tablets and I don't know what to do sad 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

propranol done barely anything to me and did not stave off anxiety symptoms at all but they did not make me feel out of it either. mirtazapine will be different for everyone, i'm on it currently and it makes me feel a little dreamy, but its good that it takes the edge off of things however, it does make me feel a little dizzy and my coordination is a little off so i'm a bit clumsy, other than that it just helps me sleep. there is no point getting scared about it and you won't find out whether it works or not if you don't try it. if you find it makes you feel too much like a zombie then you can stop taking it x
    • Posted

Thankyou Klaire for your reply, your right I can't find out how I feel until I take one, I am glad they are working for you. I was on prozac a few years ago but they made me feel numb, I didn't seem to care about anything, I would just like to feel a little chilled out as I get so anxious and stressed, it's life in my house that causes it all, and I can't change it not with two boys with autisum, life is hard. x
  • Posted

First, let me stress one point that I haven't seen yet. There is a HUGE difference in clinical depression and / or anxiety attacks, and situational depression. With clinical depression, there is a chemical imbalance in the chemicals in your brain, seratonin and / or norepinephrine, or others. In that case you need to be sure that the medicine that you are taking has a good history of long term usage, as you may need them for the rest of your life. With situational depression, there are circumstances in life that you are having a hard time coping with, and you get depressed. Usually, when the situation resolves (gets better), then you are back to being as OK as you were before whatever depressed you. You may need an antidepressant just to get you over the "hump". I know what you mean about looking at a box or bottle of pills, reading the possible side effects, and then deciding whether to take the risk. My advice, and it is just that, my advice, is to notice any changes when starting any medication, even OTC meds, and if things aren't going to suit you then call your doctor or pharmacy and tell them about it. That is about all that you can do. There is no sure answer to your question, as every human body is different. I hope that this was helpful.
  • Posted

I totally agree with David. You will hear horror stories with every medication but you will hear good stories too. I personally try not to go into detail about meds that didn't have a great effect on me,other than to say that they didn't work for me. I know how scary it is starting something when all you hear is bad about it. 

People respond differently to different meds...some people get side effects,others get none. It depends. All you can do is give it go. If you don't expect to much,then you won't be disappointed and if you are prepared for side effects then they won't come as a major shock to you.

One things for sure....if you a struggling to sleep,they will certainly help. I've been on 15mg,30mg,45mg and had great sleep on all doses.xx

• Posted

gillian, very well stated. I am on 7.5 mgs right now, and I sleep great. Also, like you, I have been on every strength, and my only problem with the higher doses was that I sleep so soundly, that when I woke in the morning I felt like I was awaking from a coma. My wife said that she used to check to make sure that I was breathing, as things would wake her and not phase me.
    • Posted

Ohhhh now that's odd because I find that on the lower doses I'm more sedated and a little groggy the next day but on the higher dose...I still sleep well but am alert not long after waking...however that could be due to the fact that the grogginess was a side effect which as eased now I've been on them a while. 

I also find that no matter what time I go to sleep,I wake at the exact same time every morning.

I think they are just now helping with my appetite after 7 weeks but that's also a welcomed thing too as I was struggling to eat. 

Im having days when I cope better and a few awful days....no great days yet but I'm hoping these little changes mean that the mirt is working xx

• Posted

Thanks Gillian for you reply, can I ask how long you been taking the tablets for? I am still looking at the box 
  • Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

chedjane, you are to be commended. If you have two autistic children to care for, I can understand your needing a little help, and needing to be able to function while on the medication. God bless you!
    • Posted

Thanks David, that is another reason, I feel nerveous to take them, I need to be able to function, as they only have me, I have no one else to help, so I can't risk being a zombie or sleeping so heavy I can't hear them. 
  • Posted

Then don't take them.......try yoga to help you relax or maybe something as simple as walking can be very soothing. Try researching natural ways to relax....beats taking drugs!

Wishing you well....

Michele

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up