I am anxious about taking Mirtazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have a very stressed life, which is causing me to have anxitey attacks, and also making me moody, I find no joy in my life, so I went to the doctors and he gave me mirtazapine and some propranol, but I haven't taken any yet, as I am very anxious about taking them, just so scared in case they make me feel weird or make me feel like a zombie, as I have children to see to, I am one of these people who research everything, but then I scare myself LOL. so now I am sat here looking at the box of tablets and I don't know what to do sad 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

propranol done barely anything to me and did not stave off anxiety symptoms at all but they did not make me feel out of it either. mirtazapine will be different for everyone, i'm on it currently and it makes me feel a little dreamy, but its good that it takes the edge off of things however, it does make me feel a little dizzy and my coordination is a little off so i'm a bit clumsy, other than that it just helps me sleep. there is no point getting scared about it and you won't find out whether it works or not if you don't try it. if you find it makes you feel too much like a zombie then you can stop taking it x
    • Posted

Thankyou Klaire for your reply, your right I can't find out how I feel until I take one, I am glad they are working for you. I was on prozac a few years ago but they made me feel numb, I didn't seem to care about anything, I would just like to feel a little chilled out as I get so anxious and stressed, it's life in my house that causes it all, and I can't change it not with two boys with autisum, life is hard. x
  • Posted

First, let me stress one point that I haven't seen yet. There is a HUGE difference in clinical depression and / or anxiety attacks, and situational depression. With clinical depression, there is a chemical imbalance in the chemicals in your brain, seratonin and / or norepinephrine, or others. In that case you need to be sure that the medicine that you are taking has a good history of long term usage, as you may need them for the rest of your life. With situational depression, there are circumstances in life that you are having a hard time coping with, and you get depressed. Usually, when the situation resolves (gets better), then you are back to being as OK as you were before whatever depressed you. You may need an antidepressant just to get you over the "hump". I know what you mean about looking at a box or bottle of pills, reading the possible side effects, and then deciding whether to take the risk. My advice, and it is just that, my advice, is to notice any changes when starting any medication, even OTC meds, and if things aren't going to suit you then call your doctor or pharmacy and tell them about it. That is about all that you can do. There is no sure answer to your question, as every human body is different. I hope that this was helpful.
  • Posted

I totally agree with David. You will hear horror stories with every medication but you will hear good stories too. I personally try not to go into detail about meds that didn't have a great effect on me,other than to say that they didn't work for me. I know how scary it is starting something when all you hear is bad about it. 

People respond differently to different meds...some people get side effects,others get none. It depends. All you can do is give it go. If you don't expect to much,then you won't be disappointed and if you are prepared for side effects then they won't come as a major shock to you.

One things for sure....if you a struggling to sleep,they will certainly help. I've been on 15mg,30mg,45mg and had great sleep on all doses.xx

• Posted

gillian, very well stated. I am on 7.5 mgs right now, and I sleep great. Also, like you, I have been on every strength, and my only problem with the higher doses was that I sleep so soundly, that when I woke in the morning I felt like I was awaking from a coma. My wife said that she used to check to make sure that I was breathing, as things would wake her and not phase me.
    • Posted

Ohhhh now that's odd because I find that on the lower doses I'm more sedated and a little groggy the next day but on the higher dose...I still sleep well but am alert not long after waking...however that could be due to the fact that the grogginess was a side effect which as eased now I've been on them a while. 

I also find that no matter what time I go to sleep,I wake at the exact same time every morning.

I think they are just now helping with my appetite after 7 weeks but that's also a welcomed thing too as I was struggling to eat. 

Im having days when I cope better and a few awful days....no great days yet but I'm hoping these little changes mean that the mirt is working xx

• Posted

Thanks Gillian for you reply, can I ask how long you been taking the tablets for? I am still looking at the box 
  • Posted

chedjane, you are to be commended. If you have two autistic children to care for, I can understand your needing a little help, and needing to be able to function while on the medication. God bless you!
    • Posted

Thanks David, that is another reason, I feel nerveous to take them, I need to be able to function, as they only have me, I have no one else to help, so I can't risk being a zombie or sleeping so heavy I can't hear them. 
  • Posted

Have you ever thought about seeing a clinical psychologist who practises hypnotherapy,  I was helped a great deal with my anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi will the doctor refer me to one ? be good if could help thanks
  • Posted

Then don't take them.......try yoga to help you relax or maybe something as simple as walking can be very soothing. Try researching natural ways to relax....beats taking drugs!

Wishing you well....

Michele

• Posted

Hi Chedjane,

same here i've just been prescribed it (well in february) & i've not taken it. Gp says I should start now as my anxiety is getting worse. My work situation is causing it aswell as the aftermath of a sexual assault & relationship breakdown in the spring. I've just read something online about adjustment disorder & I'm now wondering if I have this & the anxiety/depression is an after effect of these things. I'm going through betrayal & grief. it does annoy me how quick GPs are to prescribe anti depressants when it's normal to have stress reactions to bad things that happen in life. I've been trying St Johns wort for a few months at 1000mg in that hope that it will help over psychiatric drugs.

I'm also on my own with 2 boys. (They don't have autism though) I can fully understand your stress levels & feelings. Life is very hard, I agree!

• Posted

Did your GP consider SSRI antidepressants! I am not giving you medical advice, but I do have personal, family, and occupational experience with both clinical and situational (emotional caused by a specific situation or event) depression. In my personal experience, mirtazapine seems to be a drug for a longer expected use, while SSRI drugs like Zoloft, Paxil, Buspar, etc. are easier to stop, so they are safer to start. Again, only my experience. Plus, my GI doc uses mirtazapine for GI problems like nausea and spasms. I was on Zoloft for several months, about 10 years ago, and I stopped it cold turkey without a single problem (the situation, similar to what you are describing, got better with time, and I no longer needed them). However, I have tried stopping mirtazapine twice, unsuccessfuly. It is a good medication, and will work when all others fail (for some people). But I personally wish that I had never heard of it.
    • Posted

Hello Dinky_dee,

Sounds like you have ALOT to deal with in your life right now and I"m sorry to hear that. It's no wonder your anxious! Have you ever tried Passion Flower of Skull cap for anxiety? They are a natural way to go and even thinking about taking the Mirt is causing you more anxiety. Take a look into these and see if you might benefit from them. I've got PTDS and they help me. I don't have to worry about the side effects. Do you have a therapist you can talk to and maybe some good friends. It stinks when you have to go things alone...I know. I hope you will look into these 2 things and please keep us updated on how you are doing.

My best to you,

Michele

• Posted

Hi David, I've tried several SSRIs in the past...none of them seemed to work after 6months & infact I could feel myself getting worse on them the longer I took them. I suffer with IBS & a doctor told me they wreak your guts. I told this to the shrink & he said that Mirtazipine is one of the lower GI interrupting meds. 
    • Posted

Thanks Michelle I'll have a look into those herbs. One of the side effects of STJohns wort is anxiety...fell like I'm banging my head against a wall with it all. 
    • Posted

Thanks David for your replies, sorry I have taken so long to answer you, I have been unwell. I still have not taken the tablets, I went back to the doctor and told him I feel anxious to take them, but he said I should trust in him, but having read reveiws on this medication, plus what you have mentioned you have experienced, I am thinking of not taking them, as people can't seem to get off them, bad withdrawal symptoms, as much as I really need a good nights sleep, as much as I need to calm my panick attacks down, I don't want to be on some drug that I can't get off, so now I have no idea what to do.  You say you wish you had never heard of mirtazapine, is this because it's hard to come off? 
    • Posted

Hi Dinky, thanks for you message, I am so sorry you are going through such a hard time, have you got family to support you? I think your GP should send you for some counselling, but they are too keen just to throw tablets at people these days, when sometimes all  we really need is for someone to listen to us, as it's good to vent off, good to get our emotions out, I still have not taken the tablets, I went back to the docs to tell him I was too anxious to take them, he told me to trust him and take them, that was friday, but I am still sat here looking at the box, I do want a good nights sleep, I do want my anxiety attacks to stop, but I am not sure these tablets will be the way forward for me, I have read so many reveiws on them, yes they can be good, but the draw back is trying to get off them, the withdrawl is supposed to be terrible, I don't want to be getting hooked on a medication that I can't get off. When I think all I really need is someone to talk to. I hope things get better soon for you, and that you get the help you need to make you feel better.
    • Posted

Yes! I just wish the doctor years ago who prescribed them had put me on one of the SSRI drugs. I didn't have withdrawal symptoms for a week, and thought that I was catching the flu, as I had just taken my flu shot. I called my GI doctor and she said to get back on them, and that we could try cutting the 7.5 pills into two pieces and try those, and if that worked, go to every other day. But right now, although it is only 7.5, I look at them like an addict looks at dope. Others may have had different results, this is only my opinion based on my experience. David
    • Posted

I've caved & started the Mirtazipine last night, chopped the pills in half. I was given 15mg. I took St Johns wort yesterday too to get through work. Skin was crawling last night so had hardly any sleep. (had this also with Temazepam in my system) I know you're not supposed to take any meds with st Johns wort but I couldn't wait another any longer, feel so ill. I feel a bit more relaxed but dizzy & drowsy. I have to drive my kids to school tomorrow, already close ot car acidents because of fatigue from lack of sleep. Viscious cycle. 

I did hire a councellor but she was unprofessional. I'll maybe go to another but I'll have to pay. I'm on NHS waiting lists & womens aid lists for therapy. I'll have to wait months though for an appointment. I have a voice recorder that i use as an outlay but the damn thing wiped off all my recordings the other day. Sometimes when I play it back it helps me move forward. This GAD makes you feel stuck in a rut, it's evil & perverse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.