I am having colon issues, what should I do next?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having severe intestinal cramping with sudden diarrhea every third day for three months.  I  saw my GI doc and after tests I was told that I had a fatty liver.  He prescribed Phentermine and told me to watch my carbs and fats to lose weight.  Being a type II diabetic I also needed to bring my A1c down.  

Next I was scheduled for a colonoscopy.  I had a history of polyps 10 years  ago. My mother died from melanoma of the brain and lungs age 71,  her only brother died of lung cancer age 36, my maternal grandmother died of rectal cancer age 71, and my maternal great grandmother died of stomach cancer age 61. Ok I admit it my family history frightens me!  I am 64.

I was given IV sedation for my colonoscopy which did not work and I yelled when the doctor could not pass the scope beyond an angulation or growth in my colon according to the doctor.  He stopped the procedure and ordered a virtual colonoscopy.  I drank the contrast and had the test one hour later without discomfort.  

Finally after two weeks the nurse called and reported that my virtual colonoscopy was fine and to have my next colonoscopy in five years.  I am still concerned about the diarrhea and I feel like I was blown off!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am booked for a Colonoscopy next week, feeling very nervous, the endoscopy unit said I could either have gas and air or a sedative. My daughter is taking me so I thought I would opt for gas and air as it would not take so long, but after reading your post and how you said you screamed out in pain I am thinking a sedative may be better, hope you are getting your problems sorted out.
    • Posted

Hi janjcks

I have not had any experience with gas and air for a colonoscopy.  I assume this is similar to what is used in a dental office.  My first two colonoscopies went fine and I did not have any pain or recall.  I even had polyps removed.  My last two colonoscopies I have had both pain and recall.  Apparently I have a narrowing or curvature that prohibits the scope passing as far as it should.  The GI doctor acted appropriately by not forcing the scope but I did have pain.  Some have said the sedation doesn't work on me because of the medications that I take daily.  My problem is that I am still concerned that something is  wrong with my colon.  I think that you would do fine with the sedation.  It most often is a short acting sedative that has amnesia properties.  It is very relaxing and  you don't go unconscious.  You may feel tired afterwards and forgetful so you need someone to drive you home.  You should be discharged in one hour or less. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.