I am immobilized and miserable 4 days post surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I missed the last two steps  going to basement last Sunday.

It was horrible pain and dislocation was an obvious.

They put me under to reset it , X-rays confirmed fibula & tibia breaks, they sent me home to await swelling to decrease for surgery.

I am now 4 days post surgery and just wondering how long this pain  is going to last. I am doing what I am suppose to do with elevation and ice, Meds only last for about two hours and then it's back on the intense throbbing and burning !  I am not one to lay around and feel trapped.  Anyone have this surgery and recover fast ?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dawn,  I'm sorry to hear of your recent accident.  I had a similar accident missing the 3rd step off of my front porch. That was July 25th.  I had surgery (2 plates and 15 screws) the following morning.  The pain was aweful  while hospitalized and receiving IV Dilaudid.  Once I was switched to oral Percocet I had better and longer pain control. Once discharged from the hospital  I only needed the Percocet for about 7-10 days.  Then I just needed Tylenol arthritis strength 2 in the am and 2 at bed time.  I'm now 11 weeks post trauma and I don't take anything except occasional Tylenol.  Now onto your question. Of all of the entries from fellow "hobblers" I haven't read one story of a "fast recovery."  This setback has completely disrupted my entire life!  I live alone, can't drive and my family are miles away.  The immobile recovery has been grueling for me.  I'm still NWB.  I see my Orthopedic surgeon next Tues and am hoping that I can start to put some weight on my right leg.  The research I've done explains that due to the complexity this type of fracture is one that takes time and patience.  Hang in there and thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.   If you don't have one, I highly recommend a knee scooter with a wire basket and a long handled grabber to help you get things at a distance.  Keep me updated as I know exactly how you're feeling and it has been a roller coaster of emotions!! Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda 

Thank you for the reply, thank you for sharing your story.  I honestly know there is no chance of a fast recovery, I just needed to hear from some peeps to remind me I am not the only one that is just turned upside down with this immobilization life.

I'm sorry to hear of your accident as well but nice to read the words of positivity.

What has helped  me thus far is knowing it can always be worse.  I just have to be patient and continue to pray for healing.

The numbness is concerning me a bit.

Hope your day is great and thanks for the reply.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Unfortunately there is no quick recovery. I too fell down stairs two months ago today and broke my talus, fibula and tibia along with dislocation. For me the cast for six weeks was the hardest part so far. I am in a boot now and doing physical therapy. Hang in there girl, accept help from friends and family, you will most likely need it, Crutches get easier. I also rented a wheelchair so I could transport things around the house, anything to regain some independence, Hopefully pain will decrease I didn't really have any just weird sensations, tingling, zaps, stuff like that. I would definitely contact your surgeon if pain doesn't go away. I have been learning to be patient with myself and realize this is a long, frustrating process. The people on this forum have been wonderful, encouraging, and very helpful.

Take care!  You will be back to walking before you know it! smile

• Posted

Hi Dawn,  sorry to hear about your accident.  I haven't dislocated my ankle but have had many bad twists and sprains in my youth from soccer (I've just had to have an ankle fusion some 35 year s later as a result).  With a dislocation you can get massive soft tissue damage that can take a long time to repair and will be in layers that heal at different rates. You've had the bones broken and repaired as well so even more trauma.

It will get better, but slowly.  Try to get stronger meds, I had Dihydrucodeiene  and Oramorph which lasted around 6 hours and really helped.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Andy

• Posted

Hi Dawn! I am sorry about your accident. I too fell down the stairs resulting in 2 ankle fractures (on the same foot). I was in a cast for 8 weeks. Now I am getting around on crutches. My foot hurts and is swollen when standing up. I also hate being forced to lay around and; spending so much time at home is nothing to write home about. When I wake up, I try to feel some kind of positivity about my situation. I remember being told swelling is normal as well as pain. It certainly doesn't make the swelling and pain go away, but it does make them more bearable. I don't know how long it will take for me to recover. Any progress is welcome. I am trying to have a different perspective of time when it comes to my recovery and focus my energy on getting better. Easier said than done. When frustrated, I have no recourse but to accept the way things are. Dawn, I do wish you a speedy recovery, take care.

• Posted

Hi Ann,  Very well put,"When frustrated, I have no recourse but to accept the way things are."  In my opinion, there is no other option other than to do what you can to help yourself stay positive and settle down for a 'long winters night'!  This forum is so helpful because i don't feel alone and all of the great folks on here have been or are in the same situation that we are! Hang in there Ann and Dawn!!

• Posted

Hi Rhonda! One positive thing I do is look forward to and read other people's comments on this forum. It makes me feel less alone. I have never experienced anything like this before in my life! It is difficult and mind altering to say the least. You hang in there too Rhonda, keep  getting better!

• Posted

Me too! I can't wait to read the new entry once I get notified!  Sad huh?  Lol!  I did notice an option to private message if you and Dawn would like to stop bugging all of these other nice folks with chatter... Might help pass the time a little! Feel free to private message me anytime and i'll message Dawn and anyone else out there!  

• Posted

Hi Ann!

I love these comments/ posts as well. This forum has helped me so very much through this terrible journey.  I think it validates my feelings and makes me feel less alone. I have a great support system but thank goodness they have never experienced this type

of injury. 

Karen 

• Posted

Hi Karen! It sure does make me feel less alone. If I didn't belong to this forum, I would worry about swelling and stiffness, then my thoughts would be....."Should I go to the doctor's about these concerns? Am I ok with the swelling and stiffness? By reading about  other people's experiences with swelling and stiffness, I can relax about it. Also my physiotherapist told me it is to be expected. Going through this journey is not one I would choose, that is for sure. Any feelings of positivity are welcome and this forum is one of them. You have a good day Karen! My sister's name is Karen.

• Posted

Hi Ann

I had a rough night with the swelling and intense tightening caused me panic.

I got through it by distracting my mind 

It is hard but talk yourself through the hard lest moments and realize light at the end of the tunnel!

Hope you have a good restful day!

• Posted

Hi Dawn! I hope you have a more relaxing night. My cast caused me to be very anxious too. Thinking positive about my situation seemed almost impossible, but thinking positive takes some of the stress and worry away. When my mind goes negative on me, I try to switch my thoughts and remind myself that things will get better , that what I am going through is part of the healing process. Take care Dawn! 
  • Posted

Hi Dawn and others sharing this horrible experience,  feel free to private message me if you'd like additional details or questions of my accident and recouperation!  Everyone have a great evening!  

• Posted

Hi Dawn!

I am three months into this journey. It does get better every week so hang in there.  I fell July 4th and broke my tib, fib and talus and tore several tendons in my foot. It was a horrible sight!  

I was seen in the ER the night of the fall and a trauma surgeon reduced the compound fracture with no anesthesia. He apologized quickly and then set it! The tissue was compromised and he likely  saved my foot so I can’t really complain although I did scream. I screamed a lot! Then a shot of meds and it was somewhat better. 

The days after the surgery were the worst I have ever experienced. The nerves firing an misfiring  made my foot and ankle feel like it was on fire. The only relief I found was sleep and that was due to pain meds.  I was helpless because I also fractured my right ankle in the fall. One misstep in flip flops (because I’m southern and we love these stupid things) was all it took.  I went from being responsible for a great deal at work, I’m a CEO at medical treatment center, and at home where I thought  I was superwoman,  to having my sweet husband help me potty and bathe and my adult son take care of me at night. That was a humbling experience. 

Some things I had to find out through a blog:

Rent a wheelchair- you will both  hate and love it 

Knee scooters are great but not right after surgery. You will fall- trust me on this one. 

Watch for infection especially if the fracture was open. Mine was and I landed in the hospital for a week and had IV infusions for 42 days. 

Elevate even at night- it makes a huge difference 

Take bird baths- no one cares if your hair is dirty 

Allow your friends and family to help- you will need the help and the food they bring. 

Bedside potty chairs are underrated. They are not pleasant but quite useful. 

Amazon has bath benches, ramps and other products you will need. They deliver quickly and were a lifesaver for me. 

It’s ok to wait for a post. I look forward to it every night.

If you have a Kindle read all of the free books. I am on my 13th so far

Last- be kind to yourself and rest, east lots of protein and healthy vegetables.  Private message me if you have questions or just want to chat. 

It gets better but you will have to be patient. If I can find patience anyone can find it.  

Hugs! 

Karen 

• Posted

Hi

Thank you so much for the in put of your journey.

My point exactly , always someone or situation that could be worse.

I have no idea how your trauma Dr managed to set the compound fracture 

Without you being under !  Kuddos to you , I know for me , the ambulance personnel started to set mine and said NO!  

I have no idea how to private message anyone on this forum.  I hope this 

Got to hospital , put me almost under to reset .  

Thanks b to god!

That was so painful.

• Posted

The paramedic wanted to set it but I was ten minutes away from a great hospital and I refused to allow him. 

It was an emergency situation and I was in a trauma room filled with medical staff.  It happened so quickly I had little time to refuse.  My ankle was bleeding from the broken bone coming through and it was all around like a scene from Greys Anatomy. Only non of us were young an cute.  Except my son. Who held my hand through the entire ordeal. He is my hero. 

• Posted

Awww ...

Thanks for sharing !

Our children do bring out the best in us.

• Posted

Karen

I cannot tell you how much your words helped me 

Thank you so much as I had to re read them in the middle of the night when my swelling and chlostrophobic experience was rough !

I made it through with mind over matter 

Thanks be to God and you !

• Posted

I’m so sorry you are at the point in recovery that is super tough. 

Continue to try to keep positive and divert your attention to something else when those awful pains, swelling  and tightness start to get the best of you. 

I seriously Googled how to remove your cast on about day 8.  I then asked my husband if he would go to the shed and get his tin snips. He of course said no and looked at me like I had lost my mind.  It’s funny now but if I could have,  I would have cut that cast off that very night. I was surprised at the number of utube posts of people doing so. 

You can always call your doc if you need to be seen. Sometimes just talking to the nurses or the PA helps if you are concerned about your progress. Their job is to help you through this process so use their expertise. 

After a few more days you should begin to feel a bit better or at least I did. My ankle and foot still swell after I sit for a while and when I shower. It doesn’t hurt any longer but it is uncomfortable and turns super purple. 

Hang in there! This too shall pass. 

Karen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.