I am immobilized and miserable 4 days post surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I missed the last two steps  going to basement last Sunday.

It was horrible pain and dislocation was an obvious.

They put me under to reset it , X-rays confirmed fibula & tibia breaks, they sent me home to await swelling to decrease for surgery.

I am now 4 days post surgery and just wondering how long this pain  is going to last. I am doing what I am suppose to do with elevation and ice, Meds only last for about two hours and then it's back on the intense throbbing and burning !  I am not one to lay around and feel trapped.  Anyone have this surgery and recover fast ?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dawn,

As you have found out, this forum is a comforting place to commiserate and share helpful information.

I wish I could say you will 'get well soon' but in many cases it is a marathon and not a sprint.

Ankle fractures (usually with a bad ankle sprain) have a well-deserved reputation for being one of the worst bone fractures imaginable in terms of suffering, and often, feeling helpless and vulnerable.

That said, I think going through this awful experience can bring out the best in people, both in the patient and those (non-medical folks) who provide care and help in time of need.

Many of us, I believe, in an seemingly existential crisis like this, go through a 'dark night of the soul' period when you are besieged by depression and doubts. I know that I did. It is hard for those around us, including loved ones, to know what kind of hell we are going through.

Rest assured that we are all stronger than we believe we are in situations like this. Yes, this too shall pass.

No matter the final result we will win if we believe in ourselves.

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

• Posted

Yes !

Thank you so much for posting .

It helps reading that positivity and belief will always prevail.

• Posted

Well said kpower, as much as I tried to stay positive and not feel sorry for myself there were many times when depression set in. I think it's normal in these circumstances where suddenly life as we know it is no more, at least temporarily. Family, friends and this forum have helped get me through. Now that I'm 75% weight bearing physically and mentally I am slowly becoming my old self again.

• Posted

Yes,  thank you kpower for your eloquent words capturing my personal experience with "dark emotions."   At about week 8 a long weekend of depressive crying set in.  I didn't want to burden friends and family because there really is nothing they could do so I got online and searched for any information regarding my trauma resulting in a  pilon fracture.  I consider this forum divine intervention!  I find encouragement everyday and just the fact that all of these wonderful people share and encourage me is an experience I usually am providing to others.  I have been humbled and moved to another sphere of humanitarian acts of kindnesses!  Thank you all for your willingness to listen and help us all.  Rhonda

• Posted

Hi kpower! Your words really resonate with the way I feel. Sometimes when waking up in the middle of the night, I hope my reality is just a dream. Getting up in the morning is difficult but I force myself to by 8am. We are all at different stages of recovery. Each recovery is unique. Patience is certainly a virtue. I am trying to stop thinking of worse case scenarios about my ankle and even other areas of my life. Anyhow, I will keep on keeping on. Get better fast everyone!
    • Posted

Hang in there girl!! I felt so low and depressed when I was in my cast. our lives were turned upside down in seconds. I know it's hard but believe me as soon as I went into my boot and could begin weight bearing and PT I felt soooo much better. 

Everyone on this forum is great and understands what you are going through.

Here's to your speedy recovery Ann!!

• Posted

Thank you Machelle, for your positive comments! I finally had my cast removed and yes, it was a great relief. And like you, being able to start weight bearing is cause for celebration! I have had 2 physiotherapist appointments and am scheduled for at least one more. It is getting easier to walk and the pain isn't as intense as it was, so I have a lot to be thankful for! The swelling; I am told, could take up to a year to go away.  You hang in there too Machelle!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.