I am in need of a hip replacement and am a smoker. Has anyone smoked and had surgery?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I know I'm going to have the most difficult time trying to quit smoking (as terrible as it sounds) and would love to know if anyone out there had not quit completely prior to surgery. I'm new here, so please go easy on me. :-)

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cindy, welcome to the "hippies" site.  I have smoked since I was 14 years old ( I am now 51) and while I attempted to stop I was not successful. I had my right THR on 14th October 2014 and the left THR 8 weeks later on 9th dec 2014. Obviously I did not have any cigarettes while in hospital, but as soon I got out, back to the fags. While I appreciate that it would be better to stop I tried but was unable to. I had no problems with breathing or chest infection either time I was in. I had the spinal sedation which my surgeon said was better as you are not unconscious just sedated. I wish you all the very best of luck with quitting but if you really can't manage to do it, don't beat yourself up about it.  Good luck with your op and hope you have a speedy recovery 

love. Maggie xx

• Posted

Oh thank you so much Maggie! There is hope for me! I actually need both hips replaced, which is depressing enough and then adding the smoking issue has been almost too much to handle. Most surgeons here (Southern California) are unwilling to operate unless you've quit for 3 to 6 weeks. Once again, thank you so very much for taking the time to reply....it's meant the world to me! 
  • Posted

I had my op in jan and a 52 year old  guy in next ward was up and down like a yo yo . I asked nurse how he was so good as I was nowhere near his state , answer was he 's a smoker and has to go outside to smoke .

Two days later he was shaving probs as he had done too much . 

Take care and good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Mary! Unfortunately, here in California, all hospitals are non-smoking facilities. I'd have to trek about a quarter of a mile to step off hospital grounds to have one...hmmm...if humanly possible I'd probably do it! Lol!
    • Posted

Ours was to but he managed it . Perhaps that will be the incentive you need to give up ?
  • Posted

Hi Cindy, I had to stop Im in southern california too I didnt smoke that much , But I had really bad cirrulation in my left leg . So i bought alot of gum and put some in my car it was hard but I did it . It really hard for some to stop for some Like i said I wasnt heavy smoker .

Good luck

Jackie

• Posted

Thank you Jackie! Unfortunately I'm one of those people whose life revolves around it. So get this, I had become an alcoholic at age 53, got up to a fifth a day of tequila and when the doctor said I was going to die within months if I didn't quit, I weaned off in one week and haven't had a drink in 3 years! I never even went to support classes! But smoking unfortunately is my nemesis. Btw, it's the alcohol which caused my hip problems in the first place. Live and learn. 😊
    • Posted

Hi Cindy , Yea I used to drink alot too quit on my own ONE DAY AT TIME!! I was born with Hip Displaysia on my left side My first total hip replacement was in 1993 never felt better, but I was also alot younger 26.

Just last year oct 2013 I had to have another THR revision I was in so much pain back kept going out I was missing alot of work , anyway 15 months post op not doing to well I had alot bone lose prostheic seems to be coming loose I just had ct scan yesterday get results monday see where to go from here .

jackie

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

Welcome! I have never smoked, but just wanted to say that you have found a marvelous group of people here who will care, support and cheer you on! But you just found that out already, right?

Hugs to you and please keep in touch when you have your surgery.

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Jackie, I'm so very sorry to hear all you've had to go through! I should count my blessings. You most definitely will be in my daily prayers!
  • Posted

Dawn, yes, this group is so awesome! Thank you for your cheerfulness...it sure helps during these trying days/weeks/months! 😊
  • Posted

Although I only smoke on average 5 a day I'm embarrassed to say I didn't stop, i stressed about it to but just couldn't quit . I did tell my doctor who didn't really comment but when I told my surgeon I was worried and needed to quit he said Good luck I need to stop too !!!

There is no doubt it's best to stop but let's face it we know that. If you smoke it's best to have a epidural,  I had no problems in fact felt really good after, no groggy feeling or anything . the one that read me the riot act was the anesthetist , I didn't smoke for weeks after and haven't really bothered much since except on a night out. You will be fine but be honest with them , remember you with have lots of test before your op to make sure you are heathy enough for the op . All the best 

• Posted

I used to smoke too.  I weaned myself down to 3 a day and then tried patches, the strongest for 3 weeks, then the next one down which I was on for longer, about 10 weeks and then the lightest strength for about 6 weeks.  All in all it took me longer than it said on the box, but not being able to smoke in hospital and no-one else was a smoker in my Ward was a definite help and I didn't feel I wanted a cigarette anyway.  I have had the odd one since I have been home but didn't enjoy it as much, so decided to quit altogether.  Don't beat yourself up if you can't quit completely but cutting down to just say 3 a day and then say 2, is better than 10 a day.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Cindy

I've had 3 THRs, with another scheduled for May.

I was a v heavy smoker for years, so ops were a big deal for me.

However, almost 2 years ago, tried e-cigs and IMMEDIATELY knew I'd never smoke a cigarette again. V quickly moved on to vaping.

Now classed by GP as a non smoker and have saved, literally, thousands of pounds.

I really do recommend it. Do try.

Elaine UK

• Posted

Duh! I just figured out I should be replying to each post! 😳

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.