I am just about to have a HOLEP procedure

Posted , 15 users are following.

After suffering with BPH with the last 8 years, I have decided to have a HOLEP, I haven't confirmed with the surgeon, but I am 99% sure I will have it done. My symptoms are getting really bad, retention and unable to urinate at times. Would anyone who has had a HOLEP, about their experiences, it would really me to consider my options. thanks. Philip.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mine is scheduled for August as well, here's to relief!

• Posted

Hi. I had my HoLEP 3 years ago and it went very well. I must stress that's it essential you have it done by a really experienced surgeon. Mine was done in the UK in Cambridge. The only downside is RE which didn't matter to me. Recovery was very fast. No pain/discomfort after the first day or so, no incontinence, no effect on sexual function, good flow and no retention. Compared with my inguinal mesh hernia repair it's been a dream operation. I had a large median lobe and 130gm prostate which was interfering with urine flow before the op and causing retention and stretching of my bladder

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for sharing this info. I am also having mine HOLEP done at Cambridge by Mr Aho. He is a leader in this type of procedure. I have great faith in him.
  • Posted

Good luck Philip.  I expect to have my GreenLight Laser procedure done in ealry August also.  We can share our results here.  Misery loves company :-)    I would also like to thank everyone else on this thread for their comments and suggestions.  I have still come away from this whole BPH treatment discussion with this question.  Since I have been self cath'ing and measuring my "output",  I have a very clear understanding of my bladder content and how much it changes over time. Unless I (or anyone) does this cath'ing and measuring output, how do you know your bladder is fully emptying? Or does it matter?  If I keep a half liter (500ml) in me after voiding, does it matter?  I think I have been carrying around between 3 and 4 LITERS for YEARS and I have not had any kidney problems or UTI problems - only the urgency and frequency problems and only those for the last year. Anyway, once I have my procedure and I am voiding a normal amount which I guess is 300 - 400 ml every few hours, I'm not going to worry if my bladder has any residual.

• Posted

Hi. I found I was carrying around 1 Litre of retained urine and this had doubled the size of my bladder and my bladder wall was beginning to weaken. This can be sinister as you may not know just how much is being retained and the damage it is doing. I had urodynamics tests done and also ultrasound before and after the op to measure retention so don't ignore it. An ultrasound after my op showed zero retention.

• Posted

Hi again. My HoLEP was done by Mr Aho. He's a real expert having been trained in NZ by the 'inventors'. He's also the nicest guy you could hope to find. I was in the Nuffield but he also covers Addenbrookes (NHS) and the Spire. Good luck.

• Posted

Just because I do not agree with getting the prostate cut out.  He does seam like a nice doctor.  I looked him up and sent a e-mail to him seeing if he can answer me some guestions being that he has done over 1000 Holep procedure.  I did watch one of his procedures.  On a man of 66 with a prostate of 560 g.  Never know that they can grown that much.  Took them almost 4 hour a had to do in in sections.  Very interesting to watch  Ken
    • Posted

I see this in the same way as my tonsils. At 45 my tonsils gave me terrible grief and pain, I paid to have them removed, although it hurt, within about 8 weeks, I was back to normal but without my tonsils, it was the best decision I could have made. Time to do the same with my prostate. Philip.
    • Posted

Thank you for answering back.  I guess we all look at it a different way.Tonsils you don't need but the prostate you do.  I am sorry that you have had a problem from a young age  But at 45 I would never think of it. At 47 they told me I had prostate cancer.  She was nuts.  Turned out to be after all the tests a prostate infection.  I have had many surgery in my days that I can live with out them   My Appendix, my Gallbladder In 2016 had a 9 hour heart ablation were they burned the whole left side of my heart.  But at 63  I am not giving up on my prostate.  I have told my urologist ( Urolift 2015 )and my kids that if I get prostate cancer.  It is going to stay right were it is.  I am going to have fun and enjoy everything till the end.  I hope this procedure does all you hope it well for you.  and I hope you can get your life back to where you are all you can be.  Life is to short to deal with this at your age.  I don't know if your having that Mr. Aho do your surgery I did look him up and he seam like he is a nice doctor.  Watch one of his Holep surgery on a man with a 560 g prostate.  Now that poor man needed something bad.  It did work well for him.  God bless and good luck   Ken

• Posted

I am seeing Mr Aho. Philip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.