I am nearing my cast removal in 4 days.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. I am nearing my cast removal for ORIF surgery on the 31st of july. By that time I have been in the cast 7 weeks. I am both excited and worried. I've had no xrays since it was put on. I hope I'm healed. My concern though are the two screws they put in. It says on my discharge notes they will be removed 8 weeks after the surgery. Do these need yo be removed? Has anyone else had tri maleor surgery and had their screws removed? if so how are you doing? Any pain afterwards? If you didnt have them removed, why? I've done extensive reading, and now I'm rather confused. Thank you for reading. 😊

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I broke my ankle 2 years ago and had a plate and 7 screws put in. Still have them. Most of the people in another Facebook group I'm in say they either have no issues or they request the screws be removed because they are poking or uncomfortable. The surgery is a bit painful. but nothing like the primary surgery. Most said they they could walk with caution and drive 2 weeks later.

I guess it depends on your doctor. Have you asked why they are being removed?

• Posted

Hi, thank you. I am going to ask the surgeon when I see him on Wednesday, why these need to be removed, and go from there. At this point I have no idea what my foot feels like post cast.

• Posted

congrats, ankle recovery is a long process. glad that your moving to the next phase. i guess every doctor is different. i broke my ankle two years ago with 2 plates, 7 screw and one long screw . i asked my doctor about the screws being removed and he said that unless the screws and plates are not giving me any problems to keep them in place. my suggestion to you is to ask your doctor his reason for the screw removal.

• Posted

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for your response. Yes looking forward to being cast free. My ankle though feels stiff I can move it a bit but not much. Was your ankle stiff as well? Also I noticed yesterday,that my toes are sensitive to cold, something new. Did you have this . I did do a bit if reading and the sensitivity could neuropathy? It's always nice to know, and the mind rests when we know others go through the same. So appreciative of any response you can give me . Have a wonderful day😊

• Posted

I had ORIF surgery in January of 2018 and ankle reconstruction in October of 2018 and metal was placed as a part of both surgeries. Both of my surgeons have told me that all of that metal will stay right where it is unless it starts to cause problems.

Once your cast comes off you definitely won't be able to go full bore and after being in a cast for 7 weeks you will have a significant amount of muscle loss in that leg. I spent 8 weeks in a cast with my first surgery and lost almost half the muscle in the affected leg. Unfortunately if you don't use it you lose it!

The most important thing is not to rush it and give your body plenty of time to heal!

• Posted

Hi Amanda

Thanks for your response. So nice to hear about your experience. I am actually shocked at the amout of muscle I have lost I can see it already in my cast. I am wondering, my ankle feels stiff. when you got your cast off, was your ankle stiff? After being cooped up for 7 weeks I suppose it's bound to be, but it's nice to hear if it's normal. Also , do the blue toes go away when you stand up in the boot? My toes ,still go blue when I'm standing. It would be nice to know your experiences after the cast. I hope you don't mind? Thank you.😊

• Posted

my toes turned gray when my foot wasn't elevated for several months after I got out of my cast. my ankle also was very stiff but the physical therapy got it moving again, it just takes time!!

• Posted

I'm 14 weeks post surgery, my screws are still in. At 12 weeks after xray my surgeon was happy with everything. He said that if the screws irritate or cause problems then he would just take them out after 1 year as a day case. He said some people choose to do that and some dont.

I guess the same advice as the others, ask what is the advantage to having them out or leaving in.

Good luck, this ankle recovery process is harder and looks like much longer than I thought it would be.

• Posted

yes mam, my ankle was very stiff once the cast came off, i couldn't move my foot at all . that's why physical therapy is very important. the very first week of physical therapy and doing therapy on my own at home, i was able to move my foot a little. yes i had the same problem with my toes as well but don't be alarmed your on your way to full recovery. slow process that require alot of patience. i used to love physical therapy because i was able to get out of the house and be around people. i was lonely being in the bed and in the house all day by myself.

• Posted

Hi kenneth,

You were only In the cast 2 weeks right? My ankle is going to be stiff. I'm trying to be brave. Yes, anything to get out of the house I'm all for it. I too have been a little house bound, just going for a drive can do wonders. Awww...you are on your own at home? Well I hope that you are doing great now, as it's been a while since your Injury. I hope I can call on you for any more advise? You seem to be Intersted in people's recovery and offer your experiences freely. Thanks Kenneth.😎

• Posted

Hi Kenneth

Hope you are well. I am now out of my cast and in a boot, day 2. Ist day Yesterday, I did some excersises that the hospital gave me, as can't start physio for 2 weeks. This morning however I noticed my ankle areas are warmer than the rest if my foot. Also it seems my foot does not lay flat when I put my foot down in the boot, It feels like My foot manga to walk on the outer side, not flat. wax this your experience too? Thank you for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond, as I get worried my foit healed all wrong or something. 😊TY.

• Posted

nothing to be worried about. eventually your foot will lay flat in your boot. i had the same issue as well. when you start doing the exercises pulling your foot up and down with a towel, your foot will start loosening up and it will lay flat in foot. twice a day do the exercises that the hospital gave you until you start physical therapy, also sit in a chair and roll your foot gently over a tennis ball and that will help with the tingling under your foot when you start walking also try to do the abc's with your foot. EVERYTHING IS FINE DON'T GET DISCOURAGED AND BE PATIENT

• Posted

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for your patience.😊 I am wearing the boot around as much as possible, but do not sleep in it. It's just,a little discouraging that my bad foot doesn't stretch out straight, it leans inwards, but I suppose in time it will stretch out. My foot in the boot also leans leans to the left a bit. Did yours do that? I thank you for your time Kenneth, you have been most helpful to me. Enjoy your day.😎 Karin

• Posted

I'm about a week behind you - I am having my cast off on Wednesday. I had my fall 6 weeks ago today and surgery 5 1/2 weeks ago. I feel like I have been counting down to Wednesday for an eternity but now it's almost here I am worrying.

Has it been a lot more painful.

• Posted

Hi,

I know the feeling, I too did the same. It's so liberating when they fit you with the boot. It does feel better, much more comfortable. I am day 4 in it, and can already feel a difference in my foot. I am doing the excersises that the hospital gave me 4 times daily and it seems to be fine. I had to ask for the excersises though. I feel excited for you. Good luck on Wednesday.😊

• Posted

Hi,

Second reply to you from the first reply. Like you, I was so worried and nervous that my foot hadn't healed, and that something was wrong, and they were going to keep me in a cast,I had no xrays the whole 6 weeks I was in cast. It's natural to be worried I think, because we just want out of that thing, and be getting on with the next phase . It has not been painful, at all no. It has been very stiff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.