I am only 52 with oa

Posted , 7 users are following.

i would just like to say that it isn't always older people that get osteoarthritis. I have had it for 10 years and only this week was it confirmed. So I was only 42. So to any youngsters out there keep pestering your Dr. Mine is in my hands and they are looking like a witches hands. I'm sure it's in one of my hips and elbow as well. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Julie

You are so right,,,......so many people think its an "old persons disease"

There is such a thing as juvenile arthritis....even younger than 42  LOL

I feel so sorry for the little ones and even sorrier for their mothers. I always think it must be harder to watch your child suffering than to have it yourself.

Keep in touch

Love

Eileen    UK

• Posted

Yes you are right I am 62 but I have had this for 21 years and 2 of my children have had problems to. I was in so much pain with my neck bones at the top of my spine and all,over my back, they are going to check for spondylitis after Christmas as well. I had to take the other day tramadol disclose ice and anti sickness pills after several hours also with a hot water bottle as well I nearly felt human, but it is short lived because it comes back with a vengeance, merry Christmas
  • Posted

I was in a rheumatism clinic this year and they had a special wing for children with arthritis, etc.  That didn't stop them running/having wheelchair races through the other halls.  Children seem to cope with illnesses in a completely different way to adults - what a pity we adults can't copy them!!!

Seasonal greetings 

Constance 

• Posted

Hi Constance

Well we cant copy them....havent got the energy lol {I'm 68} but we can do things like.......buying pink and black crutches, purple and black crutches....my pink ones are festooned with fairy lights for Christmas.

I know not everyone has crutches but I had a 2nd THR that went wrong so I'm on crutches for the forseeable future.....My attitude is "If I've got to use them why not think of them as an accessory"

We can all do positive {or in my case with the fairy lights lol} daft things and its surprising the amount of people I've met in shopping centres that have been hassled and then see me and smile....its nice to put a smile on someone's face.  The lights will come off in Jan but the 2 pr of crutches will still be coloured

Merry Christmas

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi Eileen

I never thought of fairy lights.  I have a rollartor (German name, not sure what that's called in England!).  I'm 75, so a few years older than you.

Having thought about it though, I fear the Germans would think I should be sectioned - very "serious" the German Christmases.

Love Constance

• Posted

Hi Constance

Thats a pity that they are so serious......never mind.

What about during the year......I dont mean lights but maybe a few stickers or something like that or a paint job  lol

We have rollators.....they are  wheels, a seat which lifts up with a basket underneath {or a bag underneath} mine happens to be a basket.

The 3 wheel ones {triangular shape} are just called walkers.

I have a rollator but cant use it at the moment....aft the THR I had a fracture in my hip {which isnt going to heal} I've tried my rollator a few times but it hurts so much.....I have to put a lot of weight on my right side to support myself.  The crutches support me better but are a nuisance....no free hands at all, cant shop.....at leas the rollator got things shoved in the basket, in a bag on on the handles and then set on the seat .....I do wish i could use it again.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I am 53, Julie and have bad osteoarthritis in my feet and hands.  Like yours, mine has been progressing since I was about 40.  My feet are the worst and it's looking as If I'll need the bones in my big toes fused "sooner rather than later".  My GP wants me to wait until I can't cope with work any more because of them as he claims that there is a big risk that the surgery will make things worse!  But the pain and swelling this winter is terrible x
    • Posted

Hi Lesley, thanks for your reply, I have noticed just recently that if I walk a conciderable distance the balls of my feet hurt, for a while and then it disappears. I badly twisted my right ankle early this year and now my ankle bone has swollen to the extent that I can't wear normal winter shoes as it hurts the underside of the bone, so have had to resort to ankle boots. The cold certainly doesn't help. God I feel like a real moaner, want mention my left hip !!!!!!!!  It's so nice to talk to people who know how you feel, and that you are moaning for a good reason. Hope all goes well for you in the New Year. 
    • Posted

Haha.  I was just saying that the other day.  When you're younger you listen to your Mam's moans and groans and think "Does she ever stop moaning?".  Next thing you know is that you are that moaning Mam.

It could be that your metatarsal bones need some support.  I bought some support pads from ebay some time ago as I had the same problem.  It's  gone now though..............that's one groan I don't have any more.

All the best x

• Posted

hi I'm 38 and was diagnosed at 35 with Ostoathritis , I developed it so early as had a hysterectomy at the age of 29 due to endometriosis . I was told not to take HRT due to breast cancer in my family . I have it in my hands and ankles and every year I have noticed it getting worse . I take 12 tramodal,8 paracetamol , Naproxen and omperazole daily . I still hold down a full time job and do voluntary work every Sunday   And look after my mum who has the disease and copd . I know that if I did not take the drugs I would not be able to these things but will there become a time when I will be the one that's getting looked after ? I try to cram as much in to my life as my husband says that one day I will end up in a wheelchair is this true ?
    • Posted

Hi Suzanne

happy new year - I hope !!!!!

my motto is do as much as you can now, so when you do eventually become so incapacitated and have to rely on other people, at least you will have some good memories and your conscience will be clear.

I read your message twice and thought to myself I have no reason to moan yet as at the moment I am only taking naproxen x2 and paracetamol when the pain in my fingers is unbearable. I applaude you, 

kindest regards

Julie

• Posted

Hi

I dont know about you ending up in a wheelchair one day....just be positive {as you seem to be} and take each day at a time

I've got OA in lower back, hips, neck and ankle.

Kyphoscoliosis {C shaped curve in my spine and a slight hump on the top of my back} Ostoporosis, Epilepsy, Spinal stenosis.....I collect them as I go alongcheesygrin

Like you I take a cocktail of tablets......2 Naproxen a day ...thats the max dose, 8 paracetamol, 2 codeine, and of course omperazole

Epilepsy meds, BP meds

Like you I try to cram as much into my life as possible......we have 2 choices.....sit in a corner and think "I've got arthritis {or whatever} thats it.....I'm finished Or you can get out and grab the world by the scruff of the neck and do as much as you can.wink

I'm retired now, but am a volunteer for Arthritis Care, helping people with arthritis, trying to answer their questions etc or directing them to someone who can answer a question I cant....we have drop in points.

I do voluntary work at church

Oh I forgot.....2 hip replacements and after the 2nd one I had a fracture and it will not heal....bone broken off from the other part and it has moved so far it will not heal so I'm on 2 crutches for the rest of my life. So thats a bit of a hadicap......but most things are "doable" even if you do it a different way.

I'm also an Avon Representative......with the help of my husband now.

I go to the gym once a week {even with 2 crutches} lol

Seated zumba once a week

Yoga once a week

Like you say if I didnt take the meds I wouldnt be able to do those things.

If I didnt use crutches I couldnt do them either

I also use a mobility scooter if my husband and I go away and its a very hilly or very big place...but not very often. All these these things are "Coping Mechanisms" not giving in as some people think

So you go for it and take one day at a time but still cramming as miuch in as you can

Love

Eileen    UK

• Posted

Is there nothing that can be done when your fingers become really bad?  I always thought that my feet would become so bad that I'd become a burden but now I've been told about fusion x
    • Posted

Hi Lesley

they have said I can have injections in the fingers, but I really don't fancy that. So while I can tolerate the pain I will.

Kindest regards

julie

ps better get on with dinner for the family

• Posted

A friend of mine had injections for the arthritis in her ankles.  She said that they did hurt at the time but also that the relief they have given her is incredible.

I'm allergc to anti inflammatories but I'm awaiting an appointment to see whether the injections could be suitable for me x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.