I am really worried that it maybe graves hyperthyroidism

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I am needing to check with someone about a thyroid problem but am out of the country and was working until 3 months ago. I have been loosing energy over this year. I got a doctors check here in vietnam and they said I have basedow-graves disease and hyperthyroidism.

I am worried their is a translation barrier. My mother has hypothyroidism.

She believed my doctor maybe got it wrong and i had same as her because said that hyperthyroidism makes you more nervy and loose a lot of weight.

9 months ago i did loose weight and had a lot of loose stools and hives but wasnt sure if it was just allergies being in Asia. 

I  later had some skin diseases and just aches and tired feeling. some blurred vision.

Then 5 months ago i put on a lot of weight more than ever before. I have also suffered constipation. so i can look at both conditions and pick out symptoms on both lists.

How can i decide what i have. can i only rely on a doctor who speaks not good english?

My first test was a blood test :

TSH (ECLIA-Roche)   (0.270-4.2)  0.102   low they said

I suffer from anxiety and the doctor said stress caused these problems.

I had an ultrasound where scanned my thyroid and the man said they looked normal.A second doctor said that she thought not too abnormal.

The main doctor said dont worry its not cancer. she gave me another test

The TSH Receptor antibody (TRAb)    3.89 High (,1.22 IU/L>

I was put onto medicine

thyrozole 10 mg

peopeanolve 40 mg

one each a day

another blood test for 4 weeks time. 

I am more worried about having graves disease and hyperthyroidism.

do you have any ideas? 

Also if it were graves, hyperthyroidism, is their any cures and or help?

Sincerely

James

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

James can you .. try something .. can you send another small message ... and put Linda187 

In it 

That way hopefully , She will be notified ..

Mx🌹

• Posted

Hi James

From the lab test results you reported, I would say you have Graves disease.  The TRAb result is a Graves antibodies test and your results are positive for that.  Your TSH is low but mine was lower than yours at diagnosis.  I don't know much about the drug you were given to control the excess thyroid hormone as it is not the one used in Canada or the States or as far as I know England.  In the western world we use Methimazole and in England they use Carbimazole which are similar, if not identical drugs.  These drugs block the excessive thyroid hormone being produced by your pituitary gland.  In addition to the drugs used to treat hyperthyroidism, what worked for me was the addition of vitamins, minerals and amino acids that I was deficient in like L-carnitine, vitamin D, and Magnesium just to name a few.  Vitamin D is extremely important for good thyroid function.  The carnitine at a dose of 3,000 mg helped to raise my TSH.  There are other supplements like Bugleweed, Motherwort and Melissa but I don't know if they are available over there.  

• Posted

Hello Linda,

Thank you for helping me. I looked at some peoples complaints though and I am not getting it.

I think because i lived in a hostel for a year, and was working in a high energy job, not eating well and it was too hot for me. I burnt myself out. Having a quiet place, better food, im really left with one noticable thing and thats feeling tired at 6pm. I feel i am uncoiling, my muscles in my back and neck. Starting to relax. Maybe 3 days on the tablets are helping too.  

I bought some walnuts to try to help matters.  I hope I can just heal myself, now i cut out the coffee, as i was drinking, from 10 to 5 a day for 4 years, and binge drinking. I was travelling fast in bad situations and for the last 3 months ive rested. 

Maybe my body can revert to before. I will see, the next blood test. I wont hope too much after hearing the results from people. But as you have all adapted to your conditions well. There is hope both ways. 

Where i live, seems to be hard to get your good recommendations and walnuts are about 5 pounds a bag. 

I was on strong cod liver oil tablets with vit D for 5 months, but i think they were not helping me.

the best change i made, was eating good sized chickens. sorry any vegetarians on here sad

with potatoes mashed, green tea as a substitute for missing coffee, cranberry juice. Also natural honey really helped--B vitamins. 

I looked at a video online on youtube and the thyroid seems complex, with societies changes, stresses at many levels, and its interaction with adrenal glands. 

I heard that in india they swear by black walnut but im not sure of any side effects.

I wanted to ask if its safe to drink any alcohol, vodka, when taking this medication?

I wanted to try someones idea of a walnut, vodka mix. the dividers inbetween soaked in it ive heard is very good.

• Posted

Well you can order Carnitine on the Internet at Amazon I believe. Same with Vitamin D.  I prefer the Vit D gel caps as opposed to pills.  I am not much of a drinker but occasionally I will have a glass of wine with dinner when I eat out and no problems with the meds and that for me..  My disease was triggered by stress in the workplace with an abusive co-worker.  You might be having a lot of stress as well.  So using means to relax like mindfulness, meditation, etc are also helpful.
    • Posted

Hello,

Yes, I think it was stress too that caused it. I had abusive supervisor 7 years, but i think that i was in the wrong kind of job for me.

My mother has hypothyroidism and it seems i have hyerpthyroidism and I was wondering should the foods, minerals, herbs we look for be different as i heard that hyperthyroidism is over stimulated thyroid so want to calm that down with what we take.

I was thinking like you said to look at canitine, selenium tablets, also i heard about korean ginseng but not sure about it as it boosts energy. 

I heard tumeric was very good. im taking natural honey because i think so much coffee, hurt the central nervous system with caffeine. im still unsure on green tea. 

Also it seems somethings can interact with the drugs taken.

Does flax and chia seeds as have a lot of amino acids also have L carnitine?

Also do you recommend actually buying a selenium supplements, or just eat more foods like eggs with it in?

I was a bit confused with my doctor as they said dont have salt, iodine, but i read online iodine is good and that kelp products are useful.

Someone wrote that you cant start engine if throtel is broken, so kelp, ginseng, walnuts help to fix whats broken.

When the doctor does a test, what decides whether its hyper or hypo?

hashimoto or graves ? 

or whether its an autoimmune thyroid problem or another that goes naturally , temporary one.

• Posted

Sorry, i forgot, to add, and I am taking thyrozol and dorocardyl 40 mg for hyperthyroidism and graves.

do you know if one of these is to stabalise graves? or something else i should be taking.

I have a feeling, that my arthritis may have triggered the graves and i have bad hip bones, so im worried about more bone loss.

• Posted

I noticed Vitamin A helps to regulate the thyroid, but i think this may be more useful to hypothyroidism.

I was looking at tests done on this.

• Posted

Im sorry, i just forgot to ask you and things keep cropping up in my mind. 

I was wanting to ask if you had a thyroid scan? 

I had one and the scanner, said it looked like it was normal. 

Is it a situation where you can have a normal result, and still have thyroid, graves problems?

• Posted

The blood tests show conclusively what your particular thyroid problem is ..

HYPERthyroidism is over production of the thyroid hormone ... GRAVES disease is also but with  GRAVES ANTIBODIES 

HYPOthyroidism is when you do not produce enough of the Thyroid hormone ... and need to replace it every day with the precise amount for your body 

Hashimotos is similar but shows ANTIBODIES  TOO .....and often becomes HYPO as the Thyroid becomes damaged 

I only had my thyroid examined without ultrasound .. ie manually 

And was told it was normal size a shape .. and my Graves was severe...

I did not eat 

Soaked walnuts

Ginseng

Chai seeds

Or some of the others you take

But I know that all of these have great properties 

But it’s very simple James ... 

use Google  for your research someone has already  done all the hard work for you there...

Like so .....

Ginseng / Graves’ disease 

And you will find the answers that way ..

Selenium and B12  and Magnesium are best taken in high dose , pure quality , because it’s not enough to just have them in your body ... they must be OPTIMUM  .. and just relying on your diet probably is NOT enough 

Mx🌹

• Posted

James, I read this rather long discussion of yours... Just want to give an advice on the topic: Diet is very important for autoimmune disorder since as it's said that 90+% of your immune system is in your gut!  Also, natural foods are better and more effective to improve and repair immune disorders. GL

• Posted

Thank you Mike,

Is that natural foods over packaged tablets? 

Thats pretty amazing, 90 percent. I heard about the gut and depression links too. 

I have tried to eat chicken, potatoes, egg, tomatoes, mushrooms daily, to get enough good things in my diet. And some banana, watermelon, mango. 

I heard mixed things in my past on taking vitamins on supplements. i tried cod liver oil tablets good quality, but didnt feel a difference. I am on a big of a budget out here, so i am a bit worried spending a lot on supplements Mike. 

• Posted

First, if you can find natural foods which contain a big quantity of specific nutrients you need, consider eating them instead of artificial supplements (example: brazil nuts). Second, from the list of good things in your diet, there are at least 3 things considered "bad" for autoimmune patients -- potato, tomato (these are nightshade plants which also include eggplant and all peppers), and egg (especially the white). As for chicken (or other animal meats), better choose organic from the animals that are not fed with antibiotics and growth hormone... As a principle, we, patients with health issues, must find "right" foods to consume instead of just "healthy" foods. And then, we all have to find a way of acquiring those expensive things to fight illness. There seems no other way around, unfortunately. GL

• Posted

Thanks Mike,

Thats bad news for people like me who love potatoe, peppers, eggs, eggplant, some of my favourite.

already had to give up coffee. What a sad life it makes having this graves.  I was wondering if you get to a neutral state with graves and hypertension if you can eat these foods again or if it will put you back into raised hormone levels?

I did try also today buying some magnesium b6 and some K2 and D3, just for a trial as i know ive not been eating well for some time and more so that its hard to find good healthy portions here where i am.

I am in Vietnam so its not so easy sourcing foods as im having to eat out and not a great selection of mid price foods. 

I bought some vitamin a too as i heard its quite good for thyroid function. 

one thing i hear about is people loosing a lot of weight, but i had put on a lot more weight than normal.  i read peoples comments on their symptoms like shaky hands, legs and i didnt get.

my main problem was some pains side of left hand, and just a fatigue, that lingers. 

a heaviness in body. i didnt go to a doctor for 10 months with these symptoms as i didnt feel i had enough pain or issues other than tiredness to say. 

seems a strange disease.

• Posted

.... and where Mike woukd you find enough  vitamin  B12

in your foods  .......or D3 ....  

Or Magnesium   ......:.That would be enough to bring you up to ..... OPTIMUM   LEVELS  ?

Sometimes to get to Optimum you simply must use supplemented  vitamins minerals and nutrients

... for me and Others it was the fast track to  becoming well again and for two years I have taken all of these and more .....  and I’ve Stayed Well  .....   And  I’m trusting that very researched  routine to stay this way ..

But hey ... we all have choices in life .. mine was a determination to calm and replenish my Immune Ststem to leave my Thyroid Gland in peace ... and for me ... it worked !

M

• Posted

Make sense and no argument, Madge. I wish you have a fast track into remission.
    • Posted

Thank you ... i'm already there .. have been for past two years .

mx🌹

• Posted

Hey Mike, 

No arguments from me. I just appreciate anyone's help on this matter!

Thank you

• Posted

Hey James, Here are some tips for your diet: you can replace potato with sweet potato or yam (both sweet potato and yam are not nightshade plants and so no harm to your immune system; they also have better carb GI than potato and have other special good nutrients which potato does not contain); if you much prefer to acquire B12 from eggs (good idea), you may discard the white and eat the yoke alone (all B12 is in the yoke). Be careful to separate white and yoke as completely as you can smile  Hope this help. (Oh, more forbidden foods for autoimmune: gluten, dairy, soy, nuts (except brazil nut?), high sugar, high salt, etc. questionable: iodine?) The better source of protein: wild-caught small to medium size fish (no farm-raised please).
    • Posted

Oh, that is a lot clearer thank you. Also given me some hope as some nice tasting substitutes I can boil at home. 

I think im lucky being older that sugar isnt a priority for me, but I hope dark chocolate in moderation is okay...

I sometimes eat tuna from the sea or sardines, just as its hard to find specific foods here in vietnam at reasonable prices.

I was reading their maybe something connections with this disease, and acid reflux which i had in the past as well as ceiliacs disease which my grandmother had. I was thinking on this when you mentioned the gut too.

I did want to ask if having the reverse T3 test maybe useful? 

Yes, iodine ive been a bit confused with, like seaweed or ionic magnesium products.

Also walnuts.

I was also looking for antiinflammatory foods. 

I am wondering if my hip arthritis may have contributed to my condition. I guess looking at your health as a whole really helps. Like what you put in your stomach and environment you live in.

Thanks again Mike

• Posted

This may be wrong to say but I did read about a possible cause or contribution to thyroid problems as being Epstein -barr virus and many people were found to have this who had thyroid problems.

Ita hard to tell if you have this virus. I think it also stays with you but after initual tiredness retreats into your body. 

Also I noticed mustard wasnt good for this condition, which ive been eating everyday and heard that artichoke maybe a healing plant. 

Regards

• Posted

I read that too James.  I read that the Epstein Barr virus lays dormant in your liver and gets activated during times of stress and this is what the immune system is attacking in autoimmune diseases.
    • Posted

James, you're right about the health principle on foods and living environment, and yet don't forget the powerful spiritual (or mental) effect on our life and health, e.g., how do we deal with stress etc. Regarding food selection, the key for autoimmune is to avoid foods that contain the specific nutrient that has no effect on healthy people, but cause the adverse effect on autoimmune patients (e.g., gluten, a plant/grain protein), no matter how nutritious they are.

Regarding EBV as a cause for GD, it's a theory and quite interesting. Unfortunately, there isn't a clarified scientific proof or in-depth research report that render its merit. Personally, I am all for it. Yet, the EBV is said probably in everyone's body and it probably won't ever affect most people in their body system (as permanent dormancy). But they can attack people with a weak immune system to certain stages of infection. Some are resolved naturally or by medical means, but few become so toxic potent causing patient surrender immune capability and become long-term cripple in health (may be the cause of GD?). Dreadfully, EBV can be transferred from person to person rather easily: e.g., through drink, cup, bottle, etc. all in the dark from either party!  Don't want to cause any alarm here, just a hint of info.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I guess we can only think carefully on the choices we make now. I think perhaps we are entering an exciting time of breakthroughs in medicine but I cant help feel confused on why science has not looked at many diseases causes and been more open minded to how each gland, organ interacts with one another. 

There seems an awful lot of people in society who have suffered more through exhaustion, because so many things mentally to think about compared to the past. In that way I wonder how far we have really come. 

I think that I may just stick with fish in oil-sea. Also chicken organic with mushrooms and beans.

Fresh fruit, bone broth and a few vitamin supplements like vitamin D. I read somewhere its also a hormone D. Its like a rabit hole, knowing how your system works is complicated but it does seem to revolve a lot around the gut. Also when stressed, more bacteria in stomach stealing iron i read.

If you have had digestion problems, that can also cause stress. 

I am intrigued on probiotics but a lot that i can get my hands on seem to be in milk, pickled, with chilies.

I think kefir with cows milk isnt going to help. I heard european cheeses are not so bad. something to do with unpasteurized.  

• Posted

James, Sometimes people may wander far away from their specific problems and kind of lost in the vast sea of related or unrelated even conflicted information... So back to your health problem: how are you doing now? Any progress? Are you under medical care? How about new blood tests, etc? Best wishes.
    • Posted

Hi, Mike,

Two days ago i sent my tests to a bigger hospital in vietnam to see if they could tell me what is happening. I thought they were confirming I had graves, hyperthyroidism, but this hospital was saying could be hashimoto's. I will attach their reasoning below. Yes, you are spot on, it is bewildering how much information and some criss crosses over each other. 

I am trying to decide now what I should do as I was on the two medicines first described at top of this conversation. I have 3 weeks until some more check up blood tests from the first doctor, who's english isnt very good. She only told me if it improves i will lower the dose of the medication.

I am not feeling after 4 days of medication and vitamins, too much improvement. Felt a bit weak walking today. The other option is to head back to UK but the stress of the move, finding a place to live, apartment, a job, may be a lot right now. Here I have some friends, accomodation, okay food.

Okay, I am putting below what the big hospital just wrote me:

SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THYROID DISEASES

The hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis 

[HYPOTHALAMUS PITUITARY THYROID AXIS]

Levels of thyroid hormones in serum are tightly regulated by the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis. Hypothalamic TRH (TSH-Releasing Hormone) is carried via the hypothalamic portal vein to thyrotrophs cell in pituitary gland, which produce TSH. TSH reaches the thyroid gland, where it stimulates to produce and release the thyroid hormones (T3, T4….). When the concentration of thyroid hormones are high, they will make a negative feedback to decrease the secretion of TRH and TSH.

Thyroid function tests are the blood tests to evaluate how well the thyroid gland is working. They include the T3, fT3, T4, fT4, TSH…..

According to thyroid hormones, there are 3 states of thyroid function: hyperthyroidism (overactive) > euthyroidism(normal) > hypothyroidism (underactive).

And according to TSH, there are 2 groups of hyperthyroidism: 90% is at thyroid gland  with TSH level low, and 10% is at pituitary gland with TSH level high. Graves’disease is disorder at thyroid level.

Graves’ disease is an immune system disorder that results in the overproduction of thyroid hormones (hyperthyroidism). Although a number of disorders may result in hyperthyroidism, Graves’ disease is a common cause.

In Graves’ disease, patient ‘s body produces an antibody to one part of the cells in the thyroid gland, TRAb (Thyrotropin Receptor Antibody). The TRAb is the “enhancing antibody, which stimulates the thyroid gland cells overproduce the thyroid hormones (hyperthyroidism).

How to diagnose thyroid gland diseases ?

The diagnosis of thyroid disease may include:

* Physical exam. 

* Blood tests: T3, fT3, T4, fT4, TSH…. 

* Thyroid ultrasound. To mesure the size, and reveal the structure of thyroid gland.

* Imaging tests. 

* Radioactive iodine uptake. 

In this case

* No physical exam reported

*Thyroid ultrasound: no lymph node detected, thyroid gland is not enlarged, no lump. 

*T3, FT4 normal means euthyroidism.

*TSH  0.102 µIU/ml, slightly decreases (0.27 – 4.2 µIU/ml)

*TRAb (TSH Receptor Antibody) 3.89, significant increase ( =1.22 IU/L)                 

* Cholesterol in normal levels

In my opinion, this case is not a hyperthyroidism, and may be a early stage of a Hashimoto’s thyroiditis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.