i am suffering badly from constipation after surgery. Need help!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

i have done my anal fissure surgery about 3 weeks ago. My first week with medications was still horrible. It was getting better except the frequency of going to bathroom. I am taking a laxative and recently called my dr that it doesnot work by the stool hardens and gives me hell every day with constipation. So he assigned me a dietry supplement. Still no results. I urinate alot the more I drink. But haven't BM for 2 days. I don't know what to do. The scar pain has subsided a great deal starting from the 3rd week. But I get constipation every day. Need any advise for my situation?!! I am so worried. I read about something called stool softener. What is the difference between a lax, supplement and a stool softener?!! Please help, I am suffering more and more every day

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Aliaa1933,

Today I am 2 weeks post-op from sphincterotomy and I am doing better. I have some pain but it is tolerable. For constipation take stool softeners and increase your diet to a very high fiber diet. Of, course you are aware of the importance of water intake. I do all 3 of these things daily and my bowels movements are soft and I do not strain. The fissure are healing and the pain/discomfort is much better. My doctor advises against laxatives that is why I take 4-5 stool softeners a day. Laxatives can be harsh on the system and are used for occasional constipation, softeners are not laxatives they make the stool soft. My diet for breakfast is a fruit smoothie I make myself, one slice of Fiber One bread (7gram of fiber per 1 slice) toasted, 3 prunes and 2 stool softeners. Snack 1 apple or cantaloupe or any fruit. Lunch Boca Veggie burger or Boca veggie chicken patty or salad, or a 1 c of vegetables. with lunch I add 1 or 2 stool softeners. Snacknowledge 1 cup of veggies or fruits. Dinner any thing that contains fiber and 2 more stool softeners.

I hope this helps but try stool softeners I believe that would help. Laxatives are not meant to be used daily for long periods of time. some people use Mirilax daily along with Metamucil, but remember to drink a lot of water. It will get better with time , try the stool softeners and it will take 1 -2 days to get in your system and work. use them daily and u will need to see how many u will need to take everyone's body is different.

Michele19937.

• Posted

Hi Michele

i am so thankful for your detailed reply, Michele. It makes me feel that I am not alone. I will definitely call my dr to ask him about a stool softener. The lax was as you said hard on my system. It worked for the first couple of days too heavily. Then it had no affect on me whatsoever no matter how many bills I take. I tried yesterday to have a cup of senna tea at about 7:00 pm and then went to poop at about 12:00 pm and once more in the morning. The stool was soft and didnot hurt at all. But I am scared on being dependent on it cuz I heard it has its own side effects. Have you tried it before?! Hope you are getting better and tell me how you are doing day after day. 

• Posted

Hello dear aliaa.i am on my 3rd week too.

Just drink water and use milk of magnesia 2 spoons after lunch and 2 spoons ofter dinner.eat vegi and fruits too.do not eat red meat ,white rice and white bread for 1 week.and remember to eat water after milk of magnesia. Use it for 2 weeks and after that just eat healthy and do exercise.

I hope you will get better

• Posted

dear Nima, thank u for ur advice. I have not heard of milk of magnesia before. I will try to find it out. How are you doing in your 3rd week?! Have u been ever constipated in this duration?! 
  • Posted

A stool softener makes your motions very soft and easier to pass.

I use lactulose every day, plus a laxative if I need one.

Also keep drinking a lot.

I might be worth trying a bulking agent, to give you more fibre, also try movicol or miralax, they are sachets of powder to dissolve in water, and makes you have more regular bowel movements, it stimulates the colon and you have to go quite urgently, it can be a bit sore if you are constipated, but once you have managed to clear the constipation, taking a softener every day should help.

• Posted

And also do not eat junk food at all.
    • Posted

Hi nima. How are you? Hope you are good now.. Godbless🙏🏼
  • Posted

I take laxido.and lactose.those 2should make stool softer.pear or prune juice too.certain painkillerd stop you up.
  • Posted

Sorry you are having a hard time. I think it would be very beneficial and important for you to take stool softener (colace) it brings water into the bowl and softens the stool. You could do 1 3x a day if your situation is that bad. I do 2 with dinner and then take magnesium citrate-Thad calms and relaxes the bowl so that the stool can slide right out. I take 1 tablespoon it is all natural and won't hurt you and you won't become dependent on it . It varies how much you need so you could start with 1 teaspoon and build up to a dose that makes it loose and soft but not watery. Too much magnesium makes it too lose and burn. I hope this helps! I pray you find relief

Jen

• Posted

Have a high fiber diet.. Eat Fruits that high in fiber Like pineapple, mandarin, grapefruit.. Veggies like beans, carrots, and green leafy vegetables.. And drink 3 Liters of water.. And if you want to eat bread, eat whole wheat bread and if you want rice, eat brown rice.. This is really effective to me.. I am severely constipated too..This is my third week post op.. Im still in pain during defacation but it's tolerable.. I hope you'll be okay soon! God bless????

• Posted

hi Ugal. I am sorry for you too. I know your feeling. I am told our situation is normal. So hold it strong, we are gonna pass this hell together one day. God be with you. 

Ps: I tried a cup of senna tea yesterday. It did softens the stool easy and smoothly. But I am not doing it on a daily basis. Just twice a week cuz senna is strong and can cuz bloating. So don't use it excessively. Have you tried it?! 

• Posted

Yes, i've used it.. Before the operation.. When I was really and pain and I am severely conspitated, I took it everyday.. I dont recommend it because it will not really help you. Just try to eat high fiber foods and a lot of water everyday (3 or more Liters). This is effective to me, you can try it too.. Godbless???? Hope you will be fine soon????????????

• Posted

oh! I know for sure senna cannot be taken daily. I have taken just one cup after two days of no pooping. So the stool was soft and didnot burn when it comes out. And it takes time to poop after taking the cup. So don't rush it. But I understand water is much more effective. And fresh juices too. Yesterday I took 3 glasses of fresh juices and by the end of the day, I did BM. So you can keep it in mind. Hope you get better too ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.