i am suffering badly from constipation after surgery. Need help!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

i have done my anal fissure surgery about 3 weeks ago. My first week with medications was still horrible. It was getting better except the frequency of going to bathroom. I am taking a laxative and recently called my dr that it doesnot work by the stool hardens and gives me hell every day with constipation. So he assigned me a dietry supplement. Still no results. I urinate alot the more I drink. But haven't BM for 2 days. I don't know what to do. The scar pain has subsided a great deal starting from the 3rd week. But I get constipation every day. Need any advise for my situation?!! I am so worried. I read about something called stool softener. What is the difference between a lax, supplement and a stool softener?!! Please help, I am suffering more and more every day

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

A stool softener makes your feces less hard, so mine comes out like diarrhoea but not as watery. A lax may came cause it to rush out unexpectedly, so you have to be near a toilet.I took Lactulose. solution. I had constipation for 14 days so I eventually went to the hospital because I didn't have a bowel movement for the 14 days because I was on painkillers. My doctor office gave me supporitories but they didn't work. The hospital ended up giving the colonoscopy solution that you drink before a colonoscopy. It worked but it was ongoing diarrhea for 5 hours. Once I thought it was over, I put back on my clothes and then I soiled my.clothes.The hospital gave me something to wear so I could go home. I hope this information helps

• Posted

I am sorry John. It seems you had a hard experience. Your experience isnot different from mine. I took a lax and caused me diarrhea for the first 2 days after surgery then it had no effect on me whatsoever. I got constipated for a long time. My dr prescribed me more lax and supplement which caused me diarrhea again. My body is tired of lax. I end up going to another dr and he prescribed me lactulose. I am currently taking lactulose and cut up all my previous lax. Things have been settled for 4 days but my bowel movement isnot still organized. Sometimes I poop twice a day and sometimes once just in the morning. Until now lactulose has the longest effect on my body. Making stool soft and not watery. Thanks John. I hope my experience helps you too. This all is going to pass one day.
    • Posted

and tell us how you are doing now?!
    • Posted

i forgot to tell you, I am drinking 2 to 3 glasses of fresh juice. Mango, strawberry, prunes and kiwi. It softens the stool and makes it pass smoothly
    • Posted

Although I took lactulose.for a long after my constipation, I take a stool softener with docusate.sodium which is I take everyday now.Since I am on haemodialysis, I was told by my doctor that a stool softener was the better choice. Now I have a bed sore or lump on my buttocks and was told to get an egg shell cushion which would help. Besides rotating sithing on one side and the the other butt.cheek to relieve the pain
    • Posted

Since ce I am on haemodialysis, I canot eat or drink certain items. I have to limit my liquids to 4 cups of liquid everyday (US standards) plus no wheat bread and no brown or wild rice. Nothing with fiber. I eat white bread. I have to watch my potassium and phophorus levels in all my food. So that's why I am on a stool softener everyday.

• Posted

Guys! I am much better after about 4 weeks now. My bowel movements are a bit better. But if I sit directly on my butt for a bit long time, I feel the end of spine (coccyx) is a bit hurting. Does that happen to anybody?! 
    • Posted

That is normal. Its because you probably haven't sat for a while and when you are in bed your tailbone gets sore. I would recommend investing in a seat cushion. 

The one I use is called Essential Medical Supply Memory P.F. Sculpture Comfort Seat Cushion.

I use it everyday when I sit for long periods of time and it helps a bunch. 

• Posted

Thanks Myles. I am trying to use a 'donut' cushion. It is much comforting, but I am still trying to sit on my side even on my donut cushion cuz the place is still tender. 

You have been a great help to us here, Myles.

• Posted

I've been in the position of everyone else before. It's the least I can do.

I would be careful with the donut cushion as that kind of cushion is more meant for hemmroids than a fissure. before I was first diagnosed with a fissure, and I thought I had hemmroids, I used the donut cushion and I think it might have made the fissure worse. But I am not 100% for sure on that point.

Either way, donut cushions are really for hemmroids, and not fissures, so I think any comfortable cushion will help you when sitting, especially the one I recommended. 

Also, maybe try doing some leg exercises as your legs probably haven't been stretched or exrecised too much depending how long you have been in bed for.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Ok. I will ask for the cushion you mentioned. And yes for exercises esp. Walking. It relieves me a lot. 

Thanks a lot, Myles

• Posted

Myles! Are you still using comfortable cushions for sitting even after two years off surgery?! 

Just another question: when did you feel completely painless after the surgery? Some people say 4 weeks, others 6 and others 8.  Some say  whole year. Of course I know patients differ. But I am talking about normal average. At least your case. 

Thanks for your patience hon

• Posted

I am but not primarily for the anal fissure. I have a bad back and the cushion helps support my back. For the purpose of the anal fissure, in truth, and I'll admit it to myself, it is more psycological of me needing the seat cushion for my butt then necessity. When I sit on hard chairs, it just feels umcomfortable for me, whether pysological or not, and so I just use the seat cushion to relieve me anxiety. But I don't always use a seat cushion. It just depends on how hard the chair is. 

As far as your second question, I think it is very subjective as the fissure not only causes physical pain, but a lot of mental pain as well. 

As far as the physical pain, probably around 2-4 weeks post surgery. I applied the calmoseptine stuff on my anus every time after I went to the bathroom and that seemed to help. 

As far as the mental pain, probably around 4-6 weeks as it takes a while to adjust back into a life where you don't wake up, go to the bathroom, and end up in  excruciating pain for 4-6 hours everyday. The other issue is having to hide your surgery and the whole experience from other people, as most people are afraid to tell other people about their anal fissure, even close family and friends, for fear of embarassment.

In my situation, I kind of just came to a realization to not care about what people think after my surgery because I felt that noone else could really even imagine what I went through.

Hope that answers your question smile

• Posted

I understand you perfectly. No one would ever feel what we have been going through. That's why I stopped being embarrassed talking about my situation in case if anyone asks. This thing may happen to anybody. So, I don't understand why people may get embarrassed listening instead of preferably get sympthatic. 

The physical and psychological symptoms are normal. Though, I have passed about a month and a week now and still feel both. But it is much minimal than before. I hope I get completely healed and start sitting properly after a month cuz my school will start then. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.