i am suffering badly from constipation after surgery. Need help!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

i have done my anal fissure surgery about 3 weeks ago. My first week with medications was still horrible. It was getting better except the frequency of going to bathroom. I am taking a laxative and recently called my dr that it doesnot work by the stool hardens and gives me hell every day with constipation. So he assigned me a dietry supplement. Still no results. I urinate alot the more I drink. But haven't BM for 2 days. I don't know what to do. The scar pain has subsided a great deal starting from the 3rd week. But I get constipation every day. Need any advise for my situation?!! I am so worried. I read about something called stool softener. What is the difference between a lax, supplement and a stool softener?!! Please help, I am suffering more and more every day

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would recommend taking this stuff called metamucil. You can buy it at local drug stores. Remember when you take any fiber supplmeenets to drink lots and lots of water and to not take too much of the fiber supplmeent as too much fiber can cause diarreah and cause the same if not more pain then constipation.

Good luck!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Hi Miles,

I bought the Metamucil yesterday and was told the same thing drink a lot of water, which I do anyway. I will try this daily and thanks for the advice.

Michele.

• Posted

Yeah no problem. I had a sphincteronmy surgery done 2 years back, and still take metamucil everyday with my breakfast. Have not had any complications since. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Miles,

You have given me hope! Two years and no problems that sounds great.

Michele

• Posted

Hi Myles

thank you for the advice. I do take a supplement called Evaculax, 2 tablets after 3 meals. My dr advised me to take it plus a lax called Minalax. I took them one day and drank 2 cups of fresh juice and it did cause me diarrhea . My body is constantly alternating between constipation and diarrhea with few stable days. Did that happen to you after the surgery?! I don't know when my body will be working stably with no medication

• Posted

That did not happen to me after surgery.

If I were you, I'd be careful how much of the stool softners and the laxatives you take. That is the most probable cause of your diarreah in my opinion. I would recommned slowly toning down on the laxative and stool softner everyday until you can find a happy balance of soft formed stool rather than a watery loose one.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Yes! I cut down all laxatives and take now 2 spoons of lactulose a day. It is much steadier for 2 days now. Hope it becomes stable. Thank you hon for your patience with me. 
    • Posted

No problem. The key is to get the right balance, once you have that down then going to the bathroom is a lot easier. I would also recommend squatting on the toilet rather than sitting as it makes it a lot easier to go to the bathroom without straining...

Best of luck to you!!!

• Posted

Hello my name is Rose and after several weeks of excruciating pain I had Botox on my fissure 4 days ago.  I am extremely constipated but when having a bm it is nothing to what I experienced last week. I can put up with the pain without taking pain killers.  Nobody would ever, in their wildest dreams understand the severity of the pain we go through. I was liking a walking zombie from the drugs given to me to eliviate the pains and yet I still had pain! I presume that it will take a week or so before the Botox actually works to full capacity.  I just need to really focus on drinking lots and lots of water. Good luck to everyone. 
  • Posted

Guys! Does anybody know if there is a possibility for anal fissures to return back again after its treatment through a surgery?!!
    • Posted

Hello dear aliaa yes there is.you should take care of your food carefully after the surgery.if you get constipatet again they will come back
    • Posted

Thank you Nima. I was wondering can I drink coffee or Nescafé after doing the surgery in case if you know?!

• Posted

Hi aliaa1993. I would recommend taking metamucil everyday for the rest of your life post surgery. It has been 2 years since my surgery and I have not had any complications since. I take metamucil every day with my breakfast. 

Also, I would try squatting, rather than sitting, when pooping aas this allows you to not push as much and allows the poop to come out much smoother. 

• Posted

Thank you Marcus, but the idea of taking any medications for the rest of my life terrifies me. I hate medicine by nature. This surgery has already forced me to take a lot. ://
    • Posted

You can get a fiber supplement just like Metamucil from a health food store and have it be completely natural

I think Metamucil is just fiber not medicine

Look into it

Best to your recovery

• Posted

Just like Hennifer said below, metamucil is a fiber supplement. It isn't really a medicine, just helps get good soft formed stools on a daily basis. After going through an experience like this, a little metamucil every morning is so worth it. All metamuicl does is absorb water basically. If you want to do an experiemnt, buy some, poor it into a cup of water and stir it, wait an hour, and you'll see that it just absorbs the water and makes it a lot easier to go to the bathroom in the end without strianing.

Best of luck to you!!!

• Posted

Thank you Myles, you are giving us hope. Are there any foods prevented because of Metamucil?! And one more thing. Drs always recommend their patients to stop any lax or softeners after a while so the colon won't be dependent on them. Does Metamucil makes you dependent since you are taking it on a daily basis?!

• Posted

I searched and found that it is a lax and a fiber supplement. Being a lax might make your colon dependent on it. That is why I am having second thoughts about taking it permenantly. 

Good luck to you too hon

• Posted

In my experience, there aren't any foods you can't eat and take metamucil at the same time. I take my metamucil in the morning when I eat my breakfast everyday. It helps me to go on a regular basis. 

As far as what the dr's recommend, I am pretty sure mine recommended me taking metamucil everyday day post surgery. I was on heeeavy laxatives, like miralax, after surgery, but since then have only taken metamucil. 

As far as being dependent on it, I do not know how to answer that question directly. In my opinion, it is worth it to take it everday and a little more when I have big heavy meals or constipating foods like white rice or steak as it puts my mind to rest that I will have an issue like a fissure later on from constipation.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more direct answet. I would ask your colorectal surgeon about it and get his opinion. 

All I can offer is that I have been taking it on a daily basis everyday since my surgery, and I have not had one complicaiton since, and my surgery waas 2 years ago.

Hope that helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.