I am suffering debilitating anxiety for the first time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 39 and for the past couple of weeks I had been struggling with a bad back. Over the last few days I have been feeling very worried and had a couple of panic attacks. I am very tired and I feel like a haze is over me constantly, it's like it's not really me. My body is very sore and I can't really get anything done, I haven't been to work the last couple of days. This morning I vomited from stress and my appetite has gone. A week ago I was up and about, full of energy. I feel like there is something really wrong with me and then fixate on it. I went to the doctors and they said to come back next week. Does this sound like anxiety to people? I have had a stressful few months with some major traumas. Thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Very much so. Back problems especially can be very stressful. Waiting for doctors apts to solve health problems is also stressful. Hope you feel much better soon.
  • Posted

the symptons of nausea and being off your food is what I initially had Im simular liam as last year from the jan Ilost three friends in months two were my age then all I kept hearing about was people dying young people then my stress started to build from last november I thought I was going through my SAD as it was winter I got to march and I was still very low, unable to sleep or function "normally" I became irritable them wham I started getting the pains the nausea palpatations and missing heartbeats. I could feel every single pain and breath in my body more so I was waking up with a "thump" in the heart. I went to my docs and they diagnosed anxiety and depression. ive been on anti depressants and beta blockers now for just over six weeks. In my case I felt lost and felt I had lost contol of me and the overthinking even about the simplist things became uncontrolable. Ive had ecgs bloods and just had a holter monitor the only results I am waiting for are the holter monitor results the rest come back clear. I still think now that I have something wrong as up until now I have been fortunate with good health. Im 53 and its hit me that maybe godwilling I only have twenty or thirty years left on this earth. The reason I say this is for over a year I look back and Ive gone through deaths of friends trying to support my children as they have gone through some crisis and memories being brought to the service from my childhood which were not happy. I now realise my body has had enough and this is how it reacts like it does for so many others we may not realise at the time how much trauma,  circumstances affect us and I have found its always after the event because our body has the fight or flight symdrone. years ago my councellor told me that when  the crisis/ trauma is over the body who has gone through it thinks hang on a minute wheres the stress gone but thats when your body reacts. most people will have the same symptons some can present differently. but look on here will see there will be someone who can relate to your symptons. Im sorry for going on I just wanted to help you understand how we/our bodies can get to this stage and that with help which ever way you choose you can get through it. this is an excellent site its not about scaremongering like google or other sites but genuine people who are going through the same thing and will be able to reassure you
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing, it was very helpful! This all hit me so suddenly! I am so tired today but hoping that tomorrow brings a new feeling. I downloaded an app today and did some mindfulness breathing. Helped a little.

Feels so strange though, still convinced there is something terribly wrong with me

• Posted

Hi Liam

As I have been through a lot of trauma myself I totally understand how this can have a major effect on you physically and mentally..

So totally understandable your worried about what is happening to you,..It can be quite frightening and I just sat in a daze a lot and jumping at the slightess thing.. I was also hypervigilant, panic attacks, shaking, nightmares,lost appetite, head felt like I had a tight swimming cap on, constant headaches, aches and pains etc etc etc..

This is your mind and bodies way of processing what has gone on and it goes into fight or flight mode..

Why did your doctor ask you to come back next week??

Did he/she put you on anything to help with the anxiety and depression as well??

Check if there is a support group in your area that deals with trauma..

Ask you doctor to put you in to counselling to deal with what you have been through..

Try to do things that will help you relax and calm your mind and body down..There is loads of relaxation or meditation music on youtube when things get really bad.. I know it is very hard to switch off but I had to try anything and everything to help myself relax..

Keep sharing on here how you feel to try and off load what is going on in your head and GET support while you are waiting for the doctor to sort you out

Its going to take time 

• Posted

Thank you do much for your insight. The doctor wants to see how I am in a few days then possibly refer me to a psychologist. I'm not taking anything at the moment, something to take the edge away would be nice.

Tight swimming cap sums it up perfectly! I also get some tingling in my face at times. I'm so exhausted with the worry and stress.

I have used a mindfulness app to help with breathing today.

Again thanks very much for your reply. They are really helping a lot 😊x

• Posted

Did you have your back checked?
    • Posted

Yes I had an x-ray, it showed a straight spine. I just have very bad tension through my neck and shoulders. Very painful
    • Posted

Sorry you are in so much pain. If it keeps up,get an mri. My disc problems didnt show up on xray. Tension could be from stress. Whatever the cause,i just hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Great you tried it..Was it suggested you go back for more?

Your head probably feels like a washing machine because it has that much information going around in it... I am not sure if i suggested writing things down especially at night as it empties your brain of everything that is whirling around in it and helps you relax...Your nervous system hasn't packed in its just went into overloaded due to shock and trauma.. Don't pressurise yourself to feel better or you should'nt be feeling like this...Your body is in overdrive and this is its way on coping..If you find something that gives you a bit of relief then keep doing it..

• Posted

Brilliant Liam you are doing mindfulness.. Great your being referred to a 

psychologist..

Your tiredness is very normal due to severe stress. Don't put yourself under any pressure.. Try to tell yourself that everything your going through is a normal reaction to a lot of trauma.. Frightening I know but with the right help this will settle..

If there is anything you need to ask please don't hesitate..You can also private message me if you don't want ot discuss it on here..

• Posted

So today has started a little better but then I start worrying that the anxiety will come back. It's a vicious circle! I had a bit of nausea this morning but didn't vomit thankfully. Just feeling pain in my whole body and very jittery. Still a bit of tingling through my body as well. Want to feel better. Have to wait until Monday to see the doctor. It's like my nervous system has packed it in
  • Posted

Laura has offered excellent advice liam our mind is so huge we dont use it all but unless we go through the anxiety we dont realise just what the mind is capable of and the stress and trauma it actually creates in our body where with broken bones it can be seen and fixed with the mind its all contained within the body with no where to go or heal I think it is a cruel illness and even now there are some doctors who do not understand it I used to be so ashamed of the stigma of "mental illness" but I know longer do feel that of course I dont like it but it is an illness that thankfully is being more recognised and accepted. I really like this forum as everyone will understand what each person is going through and this is a good place for support.
    • Posted

Thanks sue. Today is so strange as I'll be fine then in an instant I'm worried again. But an improvement from yesterday, that's for sure. Still so worried though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.