I am terrified that I have Heart Failure.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please help, with advice or anything,

For the past week, maybe two, I've been having... I'm not sure what to call it. It's breathlessness, probably? I'm not hyperventalating or anything it just feels like breathing is a little harder. It comes in periods, on and off, and usually at night. It is NOT triggered by exersise, it can happen any time. The first night I got it I was so terrified. 

I get panic attacks so the first night i thought it was only a panic attack forming. I did all my breathing exersises and none of them helped for more than 5 minutes. I went to sleep hoping it'd be gone in the morning. It wasn't. It went on a few days then seemed to improve for a few days, then got worse again. 

I've also had a cough for about 3 weeks to a month. Sometimes there is burping too. 

I do have swelling in one ankle, in my left leg where I have had cellulitis and seem to have some other possibly vascular condition. I'm getting that checked out currently with a biopsy. 

I don't have any pain in my chest or any heartburn. Sometimes there is an uncomfortable or tight feeling, but it tends to be lower, like, under my breast, where indigestion would be. I have had GERD before but there is no heartburn this time.

I am 27, f, overweight. I have hypothyroidism and anaemia - specifically folic acid deficiency which I take medication for. My BP is usually around the 110-120 / 60-70 mark. The bottom number is often quite low, once or twice it's been below 60 which furthers my worries. 

I didn't think of CHF until I realised that all these symptoms are signs of Cognetive heart failure. Now I am terrified.

Is this deffinetly cognetive heart failure?

What should I be asking my GP? 

If it is, will i die?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I went around a year once feeling as though I was unable to get a full breathe.  It was very unsettling, and it caused me a lot of worry.  

Now granted, I've been checked for other health conditions like the ones you have, and I'm completely healthy, BUT I can attest to the fact that many of the symptoms you're really worried about most certainly can be caused by anxiety.  So to answer your question, no it's not definitely heart failure.  

What kind of tests have you had done?  I don't know anything specifically about congestive heart failure, but I know that there are many routine tests that can be done to detect cardiac issues.  I was, and still am, obsessed with my heart, blood pressure, breathing, etc.; however, I have had many tests done and have no detectable problems.

Your doctor can give you an EKG in office, I don't know if the test can detect symptoms of congestive heart failure, but there is also bloodwork (certain blood tests can diagnosis heart damage), and various types of scans you can have done.  I'd ask your doctor about having those kinds of tests done, and getting referred to a cardiologist if they think it's warranted, or abnormalities are detected.  Let them know your specific worry, and they will know what tests to give.  

The cough with burping MAYBE could be related to some kind of digestive issue, GERD, etc., as various doctors have told me digestive problems can be exacerbated by anxiety.  

I hope it reassuring to know that many of us anxiety sufferers have had all manner of extreme symptoms, from difficulty breathing, to chest pain, etc.  These symptoms should always be investigated and taken seriously, definitely, but they most certainly can be a result of anxiety.  

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for answering so quickly. I'm going to ask for an ECG for sure.

I've not had any specific tests done yet. Though I've had a lot of general bloodwork done lately. Would anything show up on these tests? 

It's just very distressing, because it feels like i'm sort of constantly choking just a little bit. Like i'm always on the verge of a panic attack, and breathing exersises which usually help don't help. 

But if it is heart failure, is it normal for these periods of shortness of breath to come and go?

For example, I spent 5 hours with my friends tonight, without a single moment of a problem, but I came home and was suddenly struggling. 

I was thinking GERD or some other trapped gas problem but i had no heartburn.

I think it's just thrown me, how many symptoms I do have of heart failure. It's really scary, which then of course brings the symptoms on all over again. When I can breath fine I start worrying I can't breath fine! 

I think I'll make a diary of when I get these episodes to see what causes them. 

• Posted

I think that depends on the type of bloodwork you've had done.  Obviously, I'm not a physician, but I've had loads of tests over the past 10 years.  Tests that look at d dimer and troponin I believe are the ones that can detect signs of blood clots and heart damage.  Lipid panels might detect risk factors for potential heart problems.  

There are types of reflux problems that don't involve heartburn (sometimes called silent reflux), so just because you don't have heartburn doesn't mean you don't have GERD.  Best to discuss it with the doctor since there are tests that can look at that as well.  

Now I'm not sure about the heart failure and breathing question, but I do know with anxiety you can absolutely cause episodes of shortness of breathe that come and go.  I definitely experienced this, and I had sort of a tight sensation in my throat that was very concerning as well.  It felt like my throat was tight and breathing was difficult, but tests showed I was normal.  

Keeping a diary of your symptoms is good, I've been keeping a log of anxiety episodes as part of my therapy process.  Us individuals with anxiety tend to think the worst, I know when I start having symptoms my first thoughts go to things like cancer, heart attack, stroke, etc., and some of these symptoms for me have been very intense and felt so real, BUT even though it's hard I have to try to accept they're caused by anxiety.  

• Posted

Thank you.

I don't know what kind I had, only general bloodwork! 

I've done that now, kept a diary of BP and what happens before I get the episodes. Hopefully that helps. I'll still go see the doctor though. 

I do feel that tight sensation. I'm wondering if i could get a massarge and see if it helps. Thank you for helping me.

• Posted

You do not sound as though you have CHF.People with this have a very distinctive way of breathing which you don't appear to have.It sounds a lot more like anxiety is causing tightness in the muscles of your chest and neck causing you to feel that you can't breathe and also the coughing.Even if this reassurance doesn't help and it probably won't l can tell you that congestive heart failure is a very manageable condition it is not a death sentence not that you have it.

• Posted

This helps a great deal, thank you very, very much. 

I know I don't have any wheezing or anything or blue-tinged skin. I hope that's a good sign. I'm gonna' go to the doctors anyway and get some help. 

Um. I didn't know CHF could really be managed? I found online it said you could only have a year to live, or five years, for 50% of people. I don't know much about it though. :c

• Posted

I nursed a lot of older people with CHF and they lived for years.Don't Google it's not a reliable diagnostic tool and will give you the worst case scenario.Get treatment for your anxiety l think you would improve with a good therapist.

• Posted

Thank you very much. I'm currently on the waiting list for CBT. 

I have to have a biopsy tomorrow but on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending when I can get the appointment, I'll go see my GP and get some tests to make sure.

• Posted

I'm really scared because I've just taken my blood pressure about 6 times. I went a little overboard in being afraid, and I've had about 3 readings of my diastolic BP being below 60. It's been 57, 55, and 54. So it's not an isolated occurance. I'm scared 'cause this is linked to heart problems and what with me fearing of heart failure... 

• Posted

Hypothyroidism can cause low blood pressure.l knew reassurance wouldn't help as anxiety will always creep back in.Get a doctor's appointment and please believe what he tells you and try to stop torturing yourself.Please find ways to distract your mind go out with friends.Do whatever you can to keep your mind busy.Also do meditation which is probably the best thing you can do to get your anxiety under control.

• Posted

Firstly and most importantly you need to see your "GP" about your current concerns, remember you need to be open and honest about how you feel if he or she does not take you seriously, politely thank them and state you will find someone else.

Secondly, it's very unlikely that you have "CHF" most "HCP" (Health Care Professionals" worth their weight would have spotted way before hand.  Thought for today! `Around 900,000 people in the UK have heart failure. Both the incidence and prevalence of heart failure increase steeply with age, with the average age at first diagnosis being 76 years old, the chances of you having "CHF" at the good old age of 27 is around 1 in 16000 per "UK Population of 65million, so roughly around 55 persons per year diagnosed under the age of 35 years, and most, by the way, were diagnosed at birth with a congenital problem and are doing well with treatment. To sum it up, `You have a chance of 1 in over 1million chance per year at being diagnosed with "CHF"

Lastly, your blood pressure is completely normal if not better than ? pecieved normal of 120/80. `Remember when taking your blood pressure lots of things come into play and there is no right or wrong answer,  example take your "BP" with your hand/arm raised above your head and it will always be lower than the reading if you did it with your hand/arm flush with your heart, lower your hand/arm below the heart as far as you can and will always come back higher. These are just a few things that can and will give you a false reading and is why you need to be careful when trying to interpret any medical readings.  

• Posted

Thank you, both of you, for keeping me calm. I'm able to have an appointment on Wednesday it looks like. So, I should get some answers there. I've been taking my BP and trying to record when I get breathless so hopefully that'll help.

I appriciate the statistics too. Only I was born with a rare birth condition, that apparently only about 10 people have in the UK so I always feel like the odds aren't in my favor. Septo-optic dysplasia? But that's chances at birth, idk. 

Thank you agani! I'll keep you guys updated.

• Posted

Hey everyone,

To update you.

I went to the doctor and she says that I appear to be fine. She listened to my heart and chest and looked at my BP readings that I took. I explained to her all my symptoms and she said that nothing appears to be wrong. She didn't send me for an ECG though but she did have some blood test results for inflamatries & lots of other stuff, including uric acid and folic acid levels which are a bit caput and on borderlines at the moment because i'm folic-acid anaemic. 

She said when I get the stitches out from my biopsy I can have another blood test to check for heart failure if I am worried. 

I went home. I felt relieved, enjotyed myself for 2 days. Then, sitting here tonight I got a sudden pressure in my chest that felt unlike anything i'd felt before. In that it felt very... pin-pointed, as to where it was. And like someone were squeezing my heart/central chest. Because it felt a bit low for my heart? So people said it's probably indigestion or maybe made worse by panic. But it felt extremely odd and new. It wasn't pain per se. It lasted for about 30-40 minutes. I took an anti-acid. 

Though it seems to have calmed down now I am shaken up by it. Should I go get myself checked again tomorrow? I was almost ready to go to the ER / A & E because I just don't know... 

Soemething is wrong with me. I just feel it. Sometimes, my arms or legs even feel heavy? I do sit a lot at the computer and apparently this can be from sitting a long time but also it's just all linked. Every article seems so vague and yet connected.

And I can't tell if i'm having a heart attack because for God sake things actually say 'Your heart rate might be slow,' or 'your heart rate might be fast,' and I just feel totally overwhelmed because apparently I'm fine but I don't feel fine, and no real tests were done anyway. I just don't know.

And is it possible i had a heart attack?

• Posted

I got so concened that I went to Urgent care yesterday. The doctor listened to my chest and took BP and things but wouldn't send me for an X-ray or an EKG. I made it VERY clear that I thought I might have had a heart attack or that something was WRONG with me. But he said everything is fine, oxygen and everything. That's 2 doctors that've said that now.

I asked how he can know without an ECG but he dismissed me with the results of everything else being normal. He said he thought I might have a condition I can't remember the name of? But it's essentially an inflamed breastbone or something? And I have to take ibrufen. 

Should I be satisfied with 2 doctors saying this? Or push more? 

• Posted

Any advice? :c I'm still feeling this way. 

• Posted

Hi sorry you are going through this listen two doctors have now told you are not having any heart problems.You have health anxiety and you could have 20 doctors telling you the same thing and the next pain you have will be a heart attack in your mind.Please go back to your doctor and ask them to help you overcome your health anxiety or this will go on and you need some relief.Anxiety is mental and physical and both can make you feel really ill so please get help to overcome it.
    • Posted

Thank you.

I just get worried that they didn't do an ECG or anything. But I suppose even if they did my mind would want more tests still. I have a blood test on Monday and when I get the results I will organize an appointment to ask for help.

I'm on the IAPT waiting list for CBT but it'll take months. :C

• Posted

Good l am glad you are going to discuss this with your doctor.Acceptance of anxiety is the first step.In the meantime try to take a bit of control back yourself.Use you tube to find methods of relaxation techniques and practice.Don't say they are not working it takes time so keep doing it.Also try a bit of gentle exercise a nice walk etc.Do not isolate yourself and don't sit on your own fixating on your symptoms and please do not Google.If you need to Google look for self help for health anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.