I am to new to this site and I have problems with my drinking

Posted , 11 users are following.

My drinking as got totally out of control. I am off work today due to a massive hangover. I am drinking two bottles of wine seven days a week. I make any excuse up to have a drink. I just don't seem to be able to function without a drink. I feel so sad

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How are you doing Debbie? Since I can relate to your situation, your postings here about your progress sound inspiring. 
  • Posted

Been there debbie, I used to drink quite a bit daily. It'd make me sadder and the only thing that would help was more drinking, fortunately i had some help from friends and family and managed to find the inspiration to cut down, I had to put in a lot of will power but managed to overcome that problem, well i dont drink as much now, just a glass or two at weekends instead of a bottle a day. I try to keep track of my drinks with an app called Alcochange, i used it to monitor my drinking and set myself goals so i didnt slip too much. It might help you if youre looking to cut down. But if you want to stop drinking altogether then i wouldnt recommend alcochange. Try small steps, and stick to them is all i can recommend. As for the sad feeling that might be depression tho I can't be sure. 
  • Posted

Debbie, because you have been suspended it is adding to your anxiety and you feel alcohol will calm you down.

Can you get a day treatment programme where you take medication every day?

It worked for me but I know not everybody has that support in their neighbourhood.

The longer you stop drinking, the easier it becomes.

I now tell everybody I hate alcohol because it's been 15 years.

Hypocritical because I used to end up in police cells with bruises all down my arms.

Keep us all posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.