I AM VERY PROUD OF MYSELF!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi I am on day 7 after my total left hip replacement and this morning I bit the bullet.  I have been using my frame thinking I couldn't use the sticks as well and I have been staying in bed because I was so tired.  Today I got up before hubby, went downstairs, put a couple of lamb henries on for tea and got dressed.  Then I have been out and seen my my mum (91) been to town to apply for a blue badge (why not - I can't walk properly) and been to M&S for some treats.  I did all this on sticks and to be honest - I felt great!  Very very little pain.  I just did slow and steady reciprocal walking with the 2 sticks and did the shopping in a wheelchair with one of those chair basket things on (always wanted to that!)  I'm home now and back in bed but now I know I CAN DO IT!  For me the key is - keep moving.  The less I move the stiffer I get, the more I move the more I can and what's more the more confidence I gain.  I think half my problem was thinking that this was going to take forever and still not be right - I wasn't prepared for what the operation would do to me - now I know I can deal with it I'm cooking on gas.  So to anyone who is struggling or giving in (as I was) - keep going you will have a breakthrough day.  Little but often and do those exercises.  In bed out of bed - keep it going.  Eat well, drink lots of fluids and I tell you something else ... I have been keeping a log of my meds - my painkillers and I notice that they are going down and down and that's after 7 days!!  I hope I haven't done too much and if I have I will post it and tell you but I feel so much better.  Now I'm starting to notice things like dust and dead flowers etc so I must be improving!!

8 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yay!!! Excellent news.  We all knew you could.  The only person that needed convincing was you.  Now you can show the physios next week how far you've come.  If you do stiffen up a bit tomorrow just rest for a day and you will soon be back up on those sticks. 

Xx

laura 

• Posted

I will - I've stiffened up now - can hardly move - but smugly still pleased with myself biggrin
  • Posted

Those first two weeks are quite testing for some of us. Once you get going the rest is history.

I try and do something every day but have been resting nearly all day in preparation for a day out tomorrow. Stiff is kind of good, isn't it? It means you have achieved.

Well done, Mumsy, get those muscles working

• Posted

I will - (if ai can) - I might be really proud of myself but I am now also REALLY REALLY stiff!  Lol - Can't win can you xx
  • Posted

Well done you. I am day 4 and am contemplating going shopping using a wheelchair with basket. Again something I've always wanted to do! Great to start making plans and seeing them happen. Let us all know how the Blue Badge application goes as it would be good to know whether this is possible. Enjoy your freedom and enjoy being on sticks. Each time I get on them, they just get easier. Take care.

Caron.

• Posted

I got a blue badge before first op. Told council I had protrusio in both hips. They said that if only having one hip done then no badge as they assume you will be ok in 6 months. If two will be done then I could have badge. It's been invaluable for my work as I drive all over the country and can now generally park close to work venues.
  • Posted

Good morning Mumsy .... How are you feeling today? 

It is an euphoric feeling, isn't it ... and a big accomplishment ... 

today you might feel the consequences of your outing - you did a lot at 7 days post-op .. maybe a wee bit too much ... but it was all worth it, wasn't it ...

Try to keep the good feeling !!! 

Take it easy today ... allow your body to rest and heal - be gentle with your self and oh so kind ... listen to her closely ...

warm hug 

• Posted

Oh my word younare so right!!!  Oh dear!!!  I am stiff and my groin hurts.  I wonder if ai was stupid not brave??  I'm OK - I have made myself get up and done laps of the bedroom but I can certainly tell I've had an op this morning smile. I'll take it easy this morning and maybe walk round the garden this afternoon and make some tea - cant eat another ready meal - and then have a word with myself biggrin

One odd thing which has come out of all this - I have no wish for a glass of wine!  Now that is a worry cry

• Posted

Mumsy, me too ..  I mean the no desire for any alcoholic beverage !!! 

Now there is a pity party for you !!!! 

go slowly, go lightly .... all is well

• Posted

I have just spent all day at an Air Day. I pushed my own wheelchair and used it if I needed to rest but I walked loads. I am stiff as a board now but happy as it was my first big outing in a month.

Sally, I was a 10 just before my op, was nearly crawling on all fours and away with the tramadol fairies most of the time. As Mumsy says the pain after is there for a while but it has changed. Like trying to explain childbirth it is individual to everyone. The way I describe it  for me is that it is a hopeful pain - it gets better.  My knee still bloody hurts though - this is my leg finding a new place to be.

Good luck with yours, you won't look back

• Posted

Just read your reply and chuckled!  I'm really sorry about your knee but your comment did make me laugh. My knee was shocking before my hip op but a lot better now - good luck with it all, its a right carry on isn't it??confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.