I AM VERY PROUD OF MYSELF!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi I am on day 7 after my total left hip replacement and this morning I bit the bullet.  I have been using my frame thinking I couldn't use the sticks as well and I have been staying in bed because I was so tired.  Today I got up before hubby, went downstairs, put a couple of lamb henries on for tea and got dressed.  Then I have been out and seen my my mum (91) been to town to apply for a blue badge (why not - I can't walk properly) and been to M&S for some treats.  I did all this on sticks and to be honest - I felt great!  Very very little pain.  I just did slow and steady reciprocal walking with the 2 sticks and did the shopping in a wheelchair with one of those chair basket things on (always wanted to that!)  I'm home now and back in bed but now I know I CAN DO IT!  For me the key is - keep moving.  The less I move the stiffer I get, the more I move the more I can and what's more the more confidence I gain.  I think half my problem was thinking that this was going to take forever and still not be right - I wasn't prepared for what the operation would do to me - now I know I can deal with it I'm cooking on gas.  So to anyone who is struggling or giving in (as I was) - keep going you will have a breakthrough day.  Little but often and do those exercises.  In bed out of bed - keep it going.  Eat well, drink lots of fluids and I tell you something else ... I have been keeping a log of my meds - my painkillers and I notice that they are going down and down and that's after 7 days!!  I hope I haven't done too much and if I have I will post it and tell you but I feel so much better.  Now I'm starting to notice things like dust and dead flowers etc so I must be improving!!

8 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do be careful....I am week 8 and somedays I feel I could take on the world...today not so muchcry...I am no longer on any medication(pain killer) haven't been since week 2 ...and finding it pretty rough today

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.