i.b.s caused by spasms and stress.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Whenever we do coach holidays i always end up with  needing the loo .What can i take to calm my stomach.Ive even got off just up the road from the hotel  on a dayout and legged it back to the hotel just making it. I dont do the excurtions anymore so that i can take my time before venturing out.Sometimes immodium can make it worse and end up having to take two or three and then being bunged up for three days.

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i use colofac for 6 months but it didnot work for me the tablet which work on me is Librax====i must say its very useful medicine it will relax  your mind and as well as it will works in guts to---------i have an upset stomach till now i didnot get librax here in japan before in my country some one say about librax and iuse it for 20 days super medicine i must say but then my visa released and i have to move to japan but before going to japan  visit my gp the stupid give me colofac and now i use it for 6 months still have stomach problems-------if you ant to try colofac you can but it will not work Librax is the best
    • Posted

Hi In the UK Ibrax comes under another name. There is a group of medicines called the benzodiazepine family. \i know this, as I take Nigtrazipam and it is a sleeping pill. Be aware, they are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. They are used for various illnesses such as anxiety, sleeplessness and a variety of mental illnesses. Yes, they will calm you down but are not used to IBS and you have to get a prescription for them. Some doctors will not even prescribe them for new paitients because of their addictiveness. I have now been on them for 30 years because I have sleep problems and am addicted. Colafac is can be bought from a Pharmacist over the counter.  I do not know if you can buy them in Japan and I am not trying to frighten you, but you could already be addicted to them. In the UK PPI (protom pump inhibiters) which are prescription only and cannot be bought over the counter in a Pharmacy. Google it if you do not agree with me. Amytriptaline was given to my son for a short time (also addictive) for anxiety and they helped his IBS. However, 3 months later, to his annoyance, they stopped working on his IBS so gradually he weened himself off them. 

IBS can sometimes be helped with diet. I realise you eat spicy and fried food and this is not suitable for people with IBS or Chrone;s disease which you may or may not have. 

Some people swear that by eating roughage such as cereal and bran can actually help with IBS, but everyone is different. Try Aloe Vera drink from a Health Shop called Holland and Barratt. This might help you. In the UK or from them online, this can be bought without a prescription. Are you resident in the UK? This is one of the troubles on here, nobody actually states where they are living. I am trying to help you here, as I know you do not understand the different diseases. Certain things help some people, but not others, but it is important that you find the right solution for yourself. If you have bouts of constipation in between diarrhea, then you probably do have IBS. I don't know much about Crone's but am sure if you look through this forum there is  plenty of information from people with so called cures. Also Google different medications, as it must be confusing for you, as every country have different names for their medication. IBS can strike at any age. My son was only 40 and mine only started after I had very severe Amoebic Dysententery from when I went on holiday in Tunisia. I nearly died from it in 1992 as I was on Prednisolone  (a strong steroid and not the sort people use to pump up their body called anabolic steroid) for COPD (Cronic Obstructive Lung Disease) caused by smoking and pollution from car exhaust fumes. This can cause internal bleeding if you catch dysentery, which it did in my case. 

Get as much information as you can before you return to Japan. Hope you can find something that will help you.

• Posted

Hi I just wrote a very long answer, but it has disappeared!

Librax is a drug  from the benzodiazepine family and are highly addictive, they are not for IBS. They are for anxiety and sleeplessnes and many other mental illnesses. If you disagree, then Google it. In the UK  IBS is usually treated with Proton Pump Inhibitors and are prescription only. There is plenty of information on this site. They don't suit everyone and some seem to have very bad side effects. Personally, I don't. It can be controlled by diet and fried food and spicy foods are usually not recommended for IBS. Try to get as much information as possible before you return to Japan, as I contracted IBS after catching Amoebic Disentery from a holiday in Tunisia in 1992, which nearly killed me, as I was on Prednisolone for COPD (cronic obstruction pulmonary disease) caused by smoking and car exhaust fumes, and this can cause internal bleeding if you catch dysentery, which it did in my case. I was carried on to the airplane without my luggage and rushed to hospital at the airport.  Not to be confused with anabolic steroids used by body builders.

Try to get as much information on IBS, Crone's etc. before you return to Japan. Each country have different names for their medications and it can be confusing on this site if people do not say which country they are in. If you are in the UK, then you are usually given Proton Pump Inhibitors (prescription only) Some people find this helpful, others have bad side effects. If you have constipation inbetween bouts of diarrhea then you probably do have IBS. I do not know much about Crohn's, but you can Google information. I am not trying to scare you, but what you are taking is really so addictive and unsuitable for IBS. Some people alter their diet, such as eating high fibre food and it helps, or Aloe Vera drink which can be obtained from a health shop such as Holland & Barrett or online. Everyone has their different remedy, as we are not all the same. Also IBS can occur at any age. My son was in his 40s. In the UK Librax can be bought from a Pharmacy, other meds need a prescription from your GP.

Hope you find a solution...Val.

• Posted

Colofac works for the gut not for the stomatch. If it doesnt work, may be you dont have IBS but ulcer colitis or Crohn diseases. As my case, I went to colonoscopy and he said I dont have IBS but Crohn's diseases
  • Posted

thi may be your are right but i think may be you have bleeding you have colonscopy its good that there is no serious problem with you like bad disease-------but please don,t make us scared man as me i am young i am 30------for me colofac didnot work but i don,t have loose stool always some time i have normal stool to----------if i eat spicy that leads me to loose stool mostly------immodium works for me good but now i don,t have bcoz here i canot get medicine with out doctor prescription--------as much as i heard in crohns disease or ulcer colitis person can pass blood in stool---------don,t know whats wrong i request to the doctor for colonscopy but he say ist he will do endoscopy as i have lot of burps then if they need colonscopy they will do it to------i don,t feel pain in my stomach but having upset stomach may be because of fried and spicy foods as i don,t have gall bladder---------sad thi man you are making me scared
    • Posted

An a thought. Are you Lactose intolerant, found in milk and dairy products? This can also cause problems. Try Almond milk which contains no Lactose and can be very helpful.

• Posted

Now there are two messages which has now come through!!!!! Time for me to leave and get my act together...!!!!!
    • Posted

had thought about that and thought of ordering a test on line as there is so much dairy foods out there in lots of products. Not sure how reliable the test is though.
    • Posted

I noticed a big difference when I stopped having milk and went over to almond milk which I like, there is also other choices such as soya or hazelnut etc. I also noticed I was better eating something like Weetabix with it and also with banana,although they are fattening and I need to lose some weight. Since my stroke and heart attack I have gained 3 stone because I can no longer walk much and use a mobility scooter, but then I am 73 next month and have been ill all my live with asthma, exema. allergies etc. and was sent to boarding school by the authorities because of the London smog. I never thought I'd reach 60, let alone 73. I also suffer excrutiatingly painful  gastric reflux, which occured along with the IBS and wonder if there is any connection. I try to eat sensibly, but fruit is a no-no as it really does give me gip with the gastric reflux. What is the test you are thinking about on line?  I try to eat two small meals a day so that there is no break in the cycle and I don't let myself get too hungry. I am on PPI's the same one as Haider. They seem to keep it fairly well under control re the gastric, but not the IBS. I can eat eggs but, apart from that, other dairy products make me bad. I don't think an online test would be too reliable, but might be wrong. Also I only drink water or fennel tea, sometimes ginger tea or camomile. I used to drink gallons of tea, but suddenly went completely of of it! Weird,

Please let me know about the online test, I might have a go myself. and thanks for your input. Regards, Val. 

• Posted

Sorry, didnt see this reply. I saw an offer on Groupon . You ring them and they send a  envelope for you to send some of your hair an d they can check about 60 food products to see what you are allergic too although not sure how reliable it is. I think the offer cost £29,99.. What are PPI'S. Thought that was an insurance and i keep telling them in not so many words that i havent been misold anything lol
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing for I am having Crohn diseases. I have lots of illness, asthma, eczema, allergies, reflux and now Crohn diseases. Scary to think that I wont live up to 70 and I wont be able to see my grandchild grow up. You give me hope. 
    • Posted

Lol, that made me laugn! It stands for Proton Pump Inhibitor which is a medicine in capsule form for IBS or gastric reflux.

They don't suit everybody and some people on here have had really bad side effects, yet I have never had any trouble with them. I have been through at least 3 of them, but now have Lansoprazole twice daily half an hour before meals. I also supplement it with liquid Gaviscon if I have a bad dose of acid reflux. We are lucky in London (England) as they have a minor ailments thing which you fill out with your National Insurance details, date of birth etc. and if your GP is prescribing stomach pills, you don't have to pay. When I go to see my other son who doesn't live with me, they don't have it. I get my daily meds in a blister pack already sorted out and the GP just sends over an electronic prescription  to a specific Pharmacy for you to collect from them. I am going away to see him next Saturday and apparently the system was down according to the BBC website and If I can't get my meds, I can't go and he has planned something for my 73rd birthday. Today I am supposed to be going to the GP as an emergency with no appointment, because over the last week I have been having various issues with my legs. However, the weather is attrocious with rain and thunder. I usually go on my mobility scooter and I hate lightning! I do have a special taxi service they supply in London for the disabled, but you have to book in advance.

I have recently had an allergy test at the ENT department in hospital, so for it would be a waste of money. We also get these blasted calls, aren't they annoying! Be aware, some of these unscrupilous companies can redirect your call and you end up paying for it.

• Posted

ut they did an allergy test then told me what I was allergic to, when I already knew lol..! So for me, it would be a waste of money. I live in a highly populated diverse culture area and, believe it or not, they didn't have a test for dogs! Muslims do not like dogs and we have one, so we had a chuckle about that! The doctor didn't test my hearing when I had already told him I have tinnitus and was having trouble with my hearing and ears and balance because of something making my ears get "full" and switching sides. I waited 3 months for that!

Like you I have had asthma, excema, hayfever etc. and some food intolerances and for about 7 years, acute urticaria with large itchy bumps coming up all down my back and arms. Thankfully, that went away, although the itching is creeping up again, yet I am prescribed an antihistamine. Isn't getting old fun!!  On top of that I now have age related macular degeneration which is getting worse. Good job I used to be a touch typist! I can still drive my scooter, but near vision is rubbish with a big blind spot. 

• Posted

Hi, sorry about the double and messed up messages. I answered the wrong person!  I am going daft in the head today. I was cuttting and pasting when I hit the button and the whole lot got posted. 

There is absolutely no reason that with modern medicine and better facilities such as scans and what have you, that we wouldn't necessarily die early now. I knew someone with Crohns who had a very bad time of it when I was working, but he is still alive, constantly taking Prednisolone and is thriving. I personally can't take it, as it sends me haywire. I ended up being transferred from the Chest Clinic to their Psyciatrist when I said that it felt like half my head was missing on the left hand side! I also get very irritable, can't sleep and even shouted at some kids and swore at them for kicking a ball up my window!!! I will only take them now in a near-death experience. They used to send me "high". I was working at the time and actually threw a bottle of coke at a customer becaused he insulted another customer I was friends with. I used to work in a private members' Snooker Club and have met Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan (spoilt brat at 15) and other famous snooker players at Pro-Am tournements. One day whilst on that dreaded drug. I threw the chip pan in the air and walked out in a huff. I still didn't loose the job though! I had to retire at 58, as in the end I kept getting so ill with COPD Finally managed to quit smoking in 2012 after my heart attack. Both my parents died at 55 yrs old and my husband at 47 through drink and prescription drug abuse plus abusing me physically and screwing up my two sons emotionally, but back in the late 70's and 80's could get no help from  anyone. I have no grandchildren, but once I die, my son who is my carer now will be evicted. It is a great worry for me, as he lives on his rather lare redundancy package, but won't sign on or claim Carers' Allowance incase I end up on PIP instead of DLA. So I keep going! I am hoping you are a UK resident, otherwise you won't have a clue what I am talking about. Just be as determined as I am to live as long as possible. You can do it!!!

• Posted

Thanks for long letter. I am sorry to know you have a story of being abuse by your husband. I am living in Australia. I dont have a clue about pension and allowance in UK but I believe that it has good system there compare to Australia. I hope I can live long as my mum who still alive at the age of 88. I have asthma and valve leak as well. The reason I have Crohn 's diseases because I stop exercise. May be exercise will help with heart problem. Good luck.xxx
    • Posted

Hi there, Just curious how are you getting along with the Muslims. Me too living in the suburb with most of them are Muslims. I hate it but I came to accept it. My enighbour is Muslim. They did lots of horrible things to me. I guess it contributes to my Crohn's diseases. I want to move out but because it is near my workplace. I also nearly retire I plan to retire to another cheaper accomodation. Life is more struggle when you are old and poor. But I just have to pray God. So I dont wish to live so long like Mum for I have no money to live long.lol. I had a bad childhood and my life is a battle with my sisters and husband and workmates. Gosh, I wish I was born orphan sometimes, then I would think of those we called family members dont hurt me too much. Well it is in the past and I just thanks God for I am still exist. Hope you get well and let me know your journey of recovery. 

• Posted

Hi, I do get a bit carried away, don't I?  Our Prime Minister is cutting everybodies benefits as much as he can. OK for politicians with their very generous perks and high wages, not so good for people who have cronic illnesses. 

I once applied to go to Australia on the £10 Assisted Passage, passed the test etc. also future husband, but pulled out at the last minute..couldn't leave dear "mummy" (sarcasm)

Exercise does help with heart problems, but I have COPD as well and am constantly having to use my nebuliser even after taking a shower!

May you live long and prosper (Spock from Star Trek)...seriously though hope you do. I never knew Chrohn's was affected by exercise.

Tale care...Val.

• Posted

Pensions are terrible in the UK unless you work in the public sector. Anyone in private sector was given a bad deal by Tony Blair. A couple of years ago friends of mine emigrated to Australia to get a better quality of life and there is a programme on in the daytime about people moving to Australia from the UK. Australia is ranked 3rd best in the world for pensions. Australia put in 12% into pensions and in the UK it is currently 2%. The most they expect it will rise to is 8%. Cue future pensions crisis.
    • Posted

Glad to know, the government try to cut pension in some way. I am not in pension age yet. I still work but i hope I will retire the end of this year and change my status to become student I am not happy with work. I met a travel mate who was from England. He has pension but he travel to Canada. If the pension is bad then he wont have enough money to travel. So i assumed it is good. Dont know till now.
    • Posted

It was 2000/01 when stakeholder pensions came in. Prior to this workers would receive 8% and up but now if you look at new private sector jobs 2 or 3% is standard and there is a 1% management fee. This is why the average pension pot is approx £50K and under or £1500 per year or £28 a week. Welcome to retirement in the UK in the 21st C. 
    • Posted

Hi, There are good and badly horrible. We live in a tower block in the East End of London and there are only a minority of white people, apart from the Eastern Europeans, sone who are even worse, especially the Russians. Across the hall we have a filthy family of Somalians, who sublet, disappeared for a short while when the Special Terrorist Police turned up at our door to warn us they were searching certain flats, We have noticed they have a special "knock" when entering this property (and believe me, that flat must be a Tardis, so many people coming and going) and expected our porter to clean up a dead mouse!) yet next door we have a very strict Muslim family who send us Christmas cards! Also I was ill in a supermarket and at the doctors the other day, and in the supermarket lined up with a bottle of water with only a twenty pound note and 60p, asked an Indian woman how you used the self checkout (I have very bad near vision), she did it for me and then gave me 10p towards my purchase. No of knowing what religioun she was, but was so greatful as I was nearly passing out with the heat. Then had a shaking fit and slid off my mobility scooter at the doctors with my son, I was shaking badly and again nearly passing out. Son thought I was having another heart attack, assistance arrived and an Indian young lady helped him get me through into the doctor's room..once again, have no idea of her religion. We have a Hindu family on our landing as well, and they are very friendly. Yet by an old Muslim man once slammed the outside door in my face when I was walking our old dear departed dog. We now have another, and they let their little children scream and run around in "shear terror". Our dog is large, but very gentle. This behaviour is beyond our comprehension. It is enough to make a nervy dog bite them for heavens sake! Also I came back one day with our previous dog, who was at the dribbling stage of his life, and a Muslim told me he had Rabies!!!! and to get him put down. They are so darned ignorant. We take great care to keep him close to us and not near any obvious Muslims as we know they have to wash their clothes if and themselves before going to the Mosque if a dog touches them. We respect their religion, but they do NOT respect ours.  We also wish we could move and when I die my son will be evicted (council rules) as was already passed on once when my husband died. All the doctors and nurses are either Asian or black. I've had good and bad in my time. My doctor is marvelous, but don't know his religion and wouldn't ask. Yet other asian doctors talk to me like am an idiot. It really gets on my nerves, I get forgetful as I am 73 next week, but still have a brain! They talk over me to my son who is there to "remember" any information I forget and to make sure I am OK. I have ARMD and cannot see the signs, and don't know my right from my left lol..always goin the wrong direction in a strange hospital. My near vision is very bad, but long distance not too bad so I can still drive my scooter.Really, you can go about our neighbourhood all day long and rarely hear English spoken, except for shop staff.

Gpt text from hospital today and now have to go to a new clinic for my heart ultrasound...more fun! It's somewhere local, and in July. I could have had it next week, but am going to visit my other son in Frinton on Sea to give my eldest a break and to get some nice sea air.

So sorry you have had such a bad experience from your neighbour. Personally, I just ignor the darn lot of them as much as possible. I am not partically racist, each to their own, but I cannot abide their ignorance.

• Posted

You kidding, 28 pounds per week no wonder I see lots of homeless in england. I been there in the part of where lots of Muslim lives. I felt like I am in the Middle East. Anyway, it is another issue. Thanks for posting.
    • Posted

Thanks for long letter. I hope writing it do you good. I am sorry to hear that your son will be evicted. Are you living in housing commision? I am Asian and I am Christian. I understand the issues with Muslim there. I ignore them but they dont ignore me, lol. However, I fix them up with the interfere from building insurance. They wreck the house they rent and around it and it affects me. They are barbaric . They are Lebanese and Romania.I have been in London where I found I am in the MIddle East or Arabic country. Anyway, I know you worry about your son is evicted and become homeless but if the worry cant solve anything stop worry and pray to God.  I am now have problem after having MRI and I have diarrhear sort ofgastroenteritis, so am very confuse and worry too . I hope it will settle. I am scare of eating for I am worrying it will go to the loo. Last night I had sweet potatoes and beans . I guesse I should not eat after a diarhear but I did stupid thing and wake up go to toilet and the grumble and gurgle in the stomatch or intestine keeps wake me up. Keep in touch and take care xxx

• Posted

Hi, Yes I live in a Council flat with my eldest son. The Council ruling is that the tenancy can only be passed on once. It was passed to me when my husband died. It is at the Council's discretion, but there is an extreme shortage of rental places where I live near West Ham United football club who have just moved and as it is a 3 bed flat, he will almost certainly be evicted. My two sons are like chalk and cheese, they get on better when they are apart. Perhaps they will end up sharing an accomodation, but who knows? Apart, they both do me proud with the care side of things but, together, they argue. Eldest won't sign on unemployment, as he took a large redundancy package which. of course, is dwindling fast, nor will he claim Carers Allowance in case it puts me on PIP instead of DLA, PIP call people in for a check and there is not even a doctor on the panel, they are stopping benefits left, right and centre to save the Government money. I am a worrier by nature, I just cannot help it. My youngest works night shift for food for NHS and then a bakery job in the middle of the day. They bakery people are really nice, but he doesn't cope well with night work, but there is a shortage of jobs where he lives. He has to do this to be able to suuport himself after breaking up with his partner. I have always liked her and we stay friends, but life is tough for both of them. Her mother died and she now lives with her father not far away, so they are still friends, which is good. 

The best way to deal with IBS I have found is to eat little and often so that something is always on the move. Roughage seems to help me and so does Aloe Vera drinks from a health shop called Holland and Barret. Also I drink non- lactose milk such as Almond milk which also helps. It is available in supermarkets in the Long Life Milk section. They also have hazlenut or soya. Plus I have PPI pills from my GP and also Gaviscon for acid reflux. Keeping up a steady flow of food tends to cut down on the gurgles and burping.

It helps with the diarrhea followed by constipation that is IBS. I like all the spicy foods, unfortunately, they they don't like me!

I like sweet potatoes as well, and bake beans and sometimes I will say what the heck and eat some and get no trouble, other times it can be different. We all know what it is like to get caught out, especially when travelling or even going shopping. It's a nightmare. I don't eat before I go out anywhere, just in case!

We can all empathise with this situation, but do the best we can to avoid mishaps. Apparently some people reckon raising the head of the bed helps although I haven't tried it. I know from my doctor that sleeping on your left side in bed helps with digestion of food throughout the night. Hope this has been some help to your. Take care also and thanks for your encouragement. Much appreciated, Val.

• Posted

Oh so true. Both sons have worked in the public sector with good pensions and eldest gave his very lucrative salery but also had to travel by train two and half hours each way, plus cope withe railwsys breaking down etc. so took good redundancy package to look after myself and our dog (two cancer ops) when I finally couldn't walk him. I feel really guilty about this, but he said he had had enough of the travelling. He misses the friends he made as he worked there for 21 years, starting off in London when EDF used to sell white/brown goods, but then they moved miles away to Crawley in Surry. The youngest one gave it up because of the constant stress with his job as Account Manager for school and college cleaning which broke up his relationship (I like her very much and she also gets him work carpet cleaning on and off at the hotel where she works) as they are still friends. Now works in the private sector doing night work for food preparation for the NHS. He hates it, and has a second job in a bakery legally for a few hours 4 times a week to make enough money for his rent etc. Not many jobs going where he lives, but no stress. Healthwise he is much better and has lost a lot of weight, plus has given up smoking. He is a grafter and this puts a lot of strain on him doing all this work, but that's life. His successor at the Council where he worked had a heart attack and died, this is the amount of stress this job entailed. Just after starting his new job, he was mouthed by a dog and got Streptoccol A in his hand and nearly lost his hand or arm. Was told he just made it to the hospital on time, as he would have died from septic shock. At first, he only thought he had a bout of flu until he saw a red track up his arm to his armpit. Ex's sister got her husband to take him to the hospital.  Two operations on his hand,stacks of antibiotics and 2 months off with no pay. Obviously, his hand hurts in the cold and swells up, but he soldiers on, thankful that he didn't lose his hand or arm.
    • Posted

I have never worked in the public sector but I would definitely consider it. A former partner of mine who was dismissed due to an ability to handle stress gave up the private sector and went to the public sector and said it is more relaxed. She has been there 10 years and must be 33 now. I travelled on buses for 4 years, just prior to IBS, and believe me they are much worse than trains 17 miles in 2 hours and Friday afternoon it was 17 miles in 3 hours due to late buses, waiting and slow traffic. 

I would say say even in areas where there are jobs the competition is fierce. I worked briefly for a few weeks and 49 people had applied. There is a counter on the website so you can see how many applicants. 

My sis moved back home so no need to feel guilty. It is what happens when you hit 40 these days smile

Glad your son is feeling better and I know that story have lost a few stone myself in the last couple of years. I am not a grafter as you put it. 

It it happens stress can do strange things to our bodies. One of friends said a few years ago his boss closed his door for peace and quiet mid morning by 5pm they went to check on him as his door was still closed and he had had a violent stroke and passed away. He was 37. Illness does not respect age.

What the .......As someone who is scared of dogs I always knew they were evil. What are the chances of that. Sounds jolly unlucky. Hope he makes a full recovery.

• Posted

Not at all

A pension pot of £100k at current rates would yield approx £3400 per year or     

£65 per week pre tax as pension income is taxable after the first 25% and this assumes no tax and no 25% withdrawal.

Also this amount falls significantly if one wishes to provide for the partner once they are gone so assume I had a partner I claim my £3400 pension but I want a weekly amount to be paid to my partner after I have gone then the £3400 falls again to enable me to be able to do this.

Pensions are are going to cause more trouble than a Russian hooligan but very few people realise it yet. 

• Posted

My dog is friendly with all other dogs and all other people. Hopefully, the cancer is cured but, who knows, we cannot afford to keep getting scans and tests etc. He is now getting old. Why do you think dogs are evil?

Stress can kill, no doubt about that! This man was only in his 40's.

Best to leave a stressful environment and live longer. A grafter us someone who will work and work, rather than sit on the dole or benefit system.

So some dogs are not friendly and I don't know what country you come from or your religion (Muslims do not like dogs) but we respect their wishes and do not let him touch one ever. However, they let their kids run screaming "in terror" and have passed their fears on to their little children. Any dog owner will tell you, the dog thinks either they want to play or they are going to attack him, and some dogs will then BITE.

If they ignore dogs, then the dog will ignore them..Simple!

• Posted

By the way, I am 73 years old and my son is 45. We are in the Uk and he will not claim any benefit, so his money will run out in a few years time. Then he will have to look for work if I am still alive. If I die, he will be evicted from our Council flat. I have had 2 strokes, heart attack, TIA's and suffer from COPD and IBS and extremely painful Acid Reflux.  He also suffers from IBS yet does most of the heavy shopping, and daily chores as I can no long do much. Be thankful you are younger, time passes quickly after your 40's. 

I still can't get my head around you saying dogs are evil. You do not insult someone like that.

• Posted

He is obviously proud. I can understand that. I have been out of work and not claimed either.

Sounds difficult and my father is similar. Luckily I do not have to do that. 

They scare me. I am not insulting anyone. My friend's dog savaged my hand and I had known that dog for 5 plus years and thought we got along well and then one day he grabs my hand pulling me off the sofa and leaves my hand bleeding.

My friend Paul was even more unlucky he bent down to stroke a dog outside a cafe and this wild thing jumped straight up at him and bit the end of his nose off. It was horrific at the time but did provide us with a little light hearted comedy at school. I shared a room with him. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear of you and your friends encounters, but he or anyone should NEVER approach a dog strange dog without the owner's permission or  over it's head. The dog probably thought he was going to attack him! 

Always ask permission as to the temperement of the dog, if you do get permission, then get down to his level and stroke his/her chest. This calms a dog and it will not bite.

• Posted

In your case, it  may have been because the dog was in pain. As dogs get older they develope arthritus, cancer and other ailments.  They hide their pain well, it is a built in mechanism from when they were hunted down by ferral dogs way back and if they showed any signs of pain, they would be attacked and killed. 
    • Posted

Maybe I do not know this was when I was at school. He was put down the following day.  I did feel guilty but it was what you did then apparently.

I have even come across them on paths in the middle of nowhere.  I remember the last time was in a field and rounded a corner and this dog whipped it's head around and started growling. I was stood there for about 15 mins and not an owner in sight.  Luckily I carry poles and I did have visions of having to use it to protect myself but when it comes down to it your mind does not work and it started to put its head low and walk towards me and forgetting about the pole I uncapped my water and threw a load of water out and it backed up and watched me and sat at the corner where I needed to go so I forced to walk in a different direction about 3 miles out of my way. 

That day I learned dogs are not overly fond of water. I always thought that was cats.  I do not mind them when they are on leads with responsible owners but to be out on a path in the middle of nowhere growling at people minding their own business is bad form. 

• Posted

He was obviously a lot more comfortable with dogs.  Believe me I try not to approach any dog.  Even my parents dogs I give a wide berth too even when they are attacking my feet and shoes. 

I did say that but he did not listen so me saying I told you so when the dog attacked did not help the situation. Just remembered in my teens I nearly had a similar horror story. I was walking along a 6 foot wall and lost my balance and fell off into this garden. This alsation saw me and ran as fast as it could and in my panic I could not reach the wall and turned and pinned myself against the wall breathing in to try and make myself stick thin and all I could was this angry dog and as it sprang to attack me I could hear my friends above leaning over the wall and they saw this and then all of a sudden the dog sprung back with a yelp. I wondered what had happened at first but then we saw the chain was just too short.  Phew that was a close call and luckily my friends were there to pull me over.  You do not get that sort of problem with a cat smile

For me personally the rule is never asked about temperant because you are never going to get close enough to stroke the dog. I do not want permission.  My parents dog knows me well and they force me to stroke it and you can be stroking away and thinking this is not too bad and then it just jumps up and nips my hand.  

I hear words like playing but on occasions it has drawn blood.  Dogs just need to chill out a bit more and not try to attack all the time. They remind me those friends I used to have that once they had too much to drink would get fighty and unreasonable.  

If the dog has an even temperament then I am fine but those sort of dogs which attack you for moving your foot I have very little time for.  One of my parents dogs forces itself on you and as it is tiny it is difficult to stop. It can sit there for an hour or longer quiet and relaxed and then it wakes and just starts going crazy nipping everything that moves like a whirling dervish, the aggressive so and so.  I try not to have it anywhere near me now as call me soft but I do not like to be bitten.   

• Posted

I agree entirely with you, but have no idea where you live. In the UK all dogs should and must be on a lead on the walkways/.pathways etc.

Also most times over the parks, although some dog owners who know their dog's temperament do let them off. Ours is on an thick extended lead at all times, as he is a Labrador x Beagle. The Lab side loves food and given the chance would eat all day long and the Beagle slde is a trail sniffer with selected deafness when it comes to recall, so he only has partial freedom. Also here there is a lot of dog theives who get smaller dogs to throw to their fighting dogs such as staffordshire bull terriers. Pitbull dogs and pit crosses are banned in he UK.  It is disgusting imo and the authorities are doing their best to prosecute

them. Ours was attacked by a Rottweiler after his second op because he could smell some blood coming from his wound. Luckily, that irresponsible dog owner seems to have disappeared. We were going to sue him on our Pet Insurance but never managed it. My son was also injured, as our dog was hysterical and dragged him on the ground. If I had been with them, I reckon I would have had yet another heart attack!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.