I broke my ankle over 4 months ago- help please.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke my ankle on February 1st, I had to have an op., 1 plate and 8 screws inserted. I accept the pain but still did not expect the pain and leg swelling to be so bad nearly 5 months later. My physio has sent me for a scan for a DVT, no clot tyvm, but the pain in my ankle and leg is still horrendous. I can walk without aid now with a massive limp, I just want my leg to look normal.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi rusky, I'm 3 months since break and like you plate and screws and like us all none of us could be prepared for the pain and healing time. Such a debilitating injury and unless you've experienced it you cannot understand i over did it yesterday and have paid the price all night  back to using a cane to keep me straight and minimise limp and pain from walking bent. Should not have got so cocky and left it home yesterday. And I understand 150% about wanting to be normal and get back to work with a normal leg I certainly was never prepared for pain like this. Childbirth was easier. 

• Posted

Oh jenni I hope you get well soon. The pain is awful I know, lets get well together xxx
  • Posted

Hi Rus

My accident happened on the 9th of Feb, not long after you, still in crutches and still have swelling with very poor circulation, partial weight bearing, my doc says I should be fully weight bearing but the pain like you said is horrendous. I have very limited movement and I wonder how long will this experienc take, but from what the experts says and also what I glean from this forum is that depending on the break and also you as a person the journey can be longer than we first anticipated.

This is a life changing set of circumstances especially for those with severe multiple breaks, the difficulties will always be there, we must choose to except them now and move forward, knowing that we are not as bad as others in more life threatening Situations. Thanks for your contribution, Chin up friend.

• Posted

Hi darren, my fall was on 11 April.So now 12weeks in. Plates on both sides ofmy right ankle with the right side being a ver bad brake. Worse than what the Xray showed so my consultant tells me, so had to put a large plat and screws in sad Still in boot at the mo with LWB. Ive had two physio sessons for 10 mins!!!  which some of the exercises i can do ok but others find hard and painfull but will get there. This has defo been  life changing, but ido find it hard to except and move forward without moaning most of the day when i try to do something that is so easy but find it so difficult now!!  But we will get there but cant come fast enough. As soon as i can just get behind the wheel of my car and i will be so happy lol. Sad really as i used to hate driving  lol  sx
    • Posted

Hi Darren, I feel a little better this week, goodness knows why, perhaps it is because of positive people like you. I have sobbed so much this past week and i feel a total klutz. I used to be a very active pensioner, I walked about 7/10 miles a day with my beautiful Hungarian Vizsla. I feel like a Little old lady now. I just want a normal life back.
    • Posted

Sandra please keep up with your excercises. After a few months I still cannot get my knee to meet the wall but I know I will get there as you will x. I am sorry I moaned but was at the end of my tether.
    • Posted

hi rusky, the exercises are gettig easier every day.Managed to put my cleaner over this morning.Whoop whoop. who would of thought i would of enjoyed doing that. Havent been given a exercise wherei need my knee to meet the wall, but was asked to try when i was having examination on my knee 16mths ago. I have a torn ligurment at the back of my right knee plus maybe a bit of arthritis on the way, (same foot I broke). Waiting to go in for opp on the knee,  this was part of the reason why my accident happened as i fell because i couldnt lift my leg as i climbed and fell. One thing for sure is that once this has all healed up I wont be booking myself in for more, coulnt go through all this again..dont worry about moaning, we all need a bit of that on days...sx
    • Posted

Darren I always thought a broken bone was a slight inconvenience before this. I can now get around without crutches, your break must have been a really severe one. I really hope you are getting around more soon and your pain subsides. Take care x
    • Posted

Sandra I find exercising in a pool much easier than on dry land, I walk around the pool for about 20 minutes and then do the ankle exercises. I know it helps, but ohhh it hurts after. Well done for cleaning. lol, I still expect hubby to do it. x

I must apologise to everyone for moaning in my original post, I know this sounds strange but it helps to know that others are going through the same thing, not that I would ever wish an injury on anyone else.

• Posted

Hi rusky, had the all clear for the boot to come off and to start walking in shoes. Just did a little today but oooooch pain and swelling straight away. Now have to start to give the crutches a miss too, but odd not having the security around the ankle and the crutches o fall back on. Its like starting all over again.cry  hard work, but will get there
    • Posted

Well done Sandra.

I went out today and bought myself new trainers, blinking dog ate my last 2 pairs. I found trainers gave me a little more support around ankle. but I still feel a little wobbly.. LOL I had the boot on the other foot 18 months ago, I was daft enough to stand up to answer the phone when my left foot had 'gone to sleep'. my ankle turned under and I chipped the bone. LOL limping on both feet now. I had to wear the blue boot for2 months

• Posted

Rusky, thank you so much for you well wish, it's so appreciated dear.

My break was due to a heavy load collapsing on my left leg and ankle, causing the ankle to shatter into 7 pieces, and my leg to break,the doc says I'm rather fortunate not to loose my foot, it was an open fracture with lots of swelling.

I'm not yet walking but I've become rather handy with the crutches.

Next week I have more than the usual assessments, Pysio NHS for my ankle, Pysio private for my knee and hip, and I have also an appointment with a couciling group..

I've managed to exchange my manual car for an auto, this has been a blessing for me.

Thanks again.

• Posted

oh no. you have gone throuhg it. I cant do trainers at the best of times. They make my feet get so hot and swell up fast. I live in filp flops day in day out even in winter. Every pair i picked up in the shop yesterday I couldnt even get my foot into them sad So ended up with the granny dappers..lol But today I have managd to put a pair of my old flip flops on and they fit great. So feeing a little better today. I had a short walk in shop today with crutches but the pain and swelling took over, so back on the Zapain pain killers. sad Once i got home elevated and swelling soon went down. I hope you limp soon subsides and your out of the boot and on your way to recovery....and dont walk if you dont feel your foot!!!  lol biggrin  sx
    • Posted

Oh goodness Darren, that is one heck of a break, bless you. Its good to hear that you are getting around a bit more and I really wish you well.  I am off on another cruise in 2 days, I did one 4 days after my cast came off in March and hated every moment. I had the long haul flight from London to NY which I hated although BA treated me well and upgraded me, I would have rather been at home . Not like me usually. Take care my friend xxx
    • Posted

So glad you feel a little better Sandra. I away for a few weeks now, lol going to the North Pole, believe it or not. Look forward to talking when I come home xxx
    • Posted

North Pole!!!  well you shouldnt get much swelling there then.!!  lol biggrin  have a good time. sx
    • Posted

LOL Sandra, I am back from the North Pole, well 78 degrees north, Svalbard, I had a fantastic time, chilling really does help. My leg looks nearly normal although ankle still lumpy bumpy red and swollen. I did wear my 1 inch heels for 2 evenings, I did feel the pain for a day or 2 after but it was worth it to feel and look near normal again.

Since coming home my leg swelling is going down daily. I only have real pain every few days instead of daily so things are improving. Having my 1st awful pain day for over a week tonight,

The 'bed wedge' I bought a few months ago to keep foot elevated is also a positive factor, I wish I had taken it away with me.

I hope everyone is doing OK and everything is getting better. GL and GB xx

• Posted

Welcome back. Glad you had a good time. And 1unch heels!!! Wow. My belly turned just Tring on a pair of shoes with little wedge. Just the thought of a heel of any kind frightens the life out of me. How I wish I could just have 1 day free of pain. Swelling going down every day except for around the injury on outside of my ankle. Swells up like a balloon, but goes dwn as soon as it's elevated. Walked for the first time today without any aids. Not far just from living room to my kitchen and back. Painful. But did it. I gave physio on Friday so I'm going to ask if they think I need xrays because the pain don't seem to be easing. Still in my flip flops. Lol. Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.