I can feel something under my left rib

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hey so basically for the past war nearly when I sit in a certain position and I press just below my left rib, similar to where the stomach is, I feel a clicking! I don't feel like a lump or anything, the feeling is internal almost like something is pressing against my rib. Recently I feel like whatever it is had flared up because I am becoming much more short of breath, I exercise a lot but have noticed despite training I seem to be becoming more short of breath, I suffer with acid reflux and dont know whether anything is related? It's got to the stage now where I can physically feel like an increased pressure is around my left rib cage where the clicking occurs??

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you tried antacids for your acid reflux?  If you exercise a lot, is it possible you might have strained something, perhaps bruised a rib if that is where the discomfort is coming from?  Have you seen a doctor since you are short of breath and have had the symptoms for a long time?
    • Posted

Nope I've not seen the doctor yet but I think I'm going to go soon, I went abit ago about booting and acid reflux and he put me on lots of different meds but it never really helped, it flares up sometimes but it's gotten a lot better recently, that's similar to the pressure under my left side, it's always there but sometimes it's worse than others. When I wrote this it was worse, but now I can still feel it but my breathing is completely normal? However when I take a deep breath in I can still feel pressure on the left side

• Posted

From what I have read, ulcers usually cause pain rather than pressure.  There is another condition called costochondritis which causes rib cage pain. Maybe the pressure you are feeling is pain?
    • Posted

Possibly yeah! I'll get a doctors appointment soon so hopefully will understand what's going on, thankyou!

• Posted

When I had costochondritis, I thought I had pulled a muscle and simply touching my breast area and ribs was agony for three months. My doctor told me to take Nurofen and wait it out and that within another three months it would clear up and it did.  It was diagnosed on the spot without tests.
    • Posted

Ah good, hopefully then when I get an appt it will ba the same ahah!
  • Posted

Could it be slipping rib syndrome?
    • Posted

I would definitely go to the doctor. They can check inside you stomach to see if there's anything causing it in there.

It could be an ulcer, but I would think you'd have some pain with that. Wind might give you a feeling of pressure, like bloating pressing against your ribs, but then surely you'd be burping occasionally and feel some relief afterwards.

I have read before of people getting relief from pressure under the ribs after having a session with a chiropractor as they said their spine was misaligned. Might be something to Google and see if you cab find more info.

• Posted

Brilliant I'll look into it, thankyou, I'm going to get a doctors appointment soon aswell so hopefully will figure out for definite what's wrong ahaha

• Posted

Hello, 

I know I am a few months late but I am just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was? I  have exactly the same problems. I am 24 year old and I have suffered with acid reflux since I was 20. The past few months I have  had the same feeling around my rib cage like a sharp pressure and if I massage it I can feel clicking. I sometimes feel pressure  slightly around my back.

Every time I tell myself I will see a GP it dose not happen for a few days and then I just put it off. 

Is this something I should be worrying about? I would be very happy if anyone could give me any advise.

• Posted

Hello, I'm not sure Olivia still uses her account on this site, so I was wondering if you have since had a diagnosis you could share? I am having the same issues.

• Posted

Hi Olivia, 

What you describe matches my symptoms exactly. Just wanted to know if you ever got an answer. My symptoms started two years ago, at which time I did an ultrasound, followed by a CT, and MRI, and everything was fine. I'm at a loss as to what to do next as my symptoms are getting worse. GERD mess didn't help, I even did allergy testing to see if my GI tract was inflamed. Any feedback would be great. Thank you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.