I can only think of one remedy for Anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I’ve never spoke about this in depth before with anyone, so not sure how it’s going to come across to those kind enough to sit through and read it.

I’m 46 years of age and my story is quite simply a tale of living and struggling with stressful times throughout my life, and in my opinion has left me scarred with anxiety, stress and social anxieties. At the age of 25 I was still living with my parents. I was always known as a worrier, over thinking things, but this didn’t seem to bother me too much… until the day my parents took control of a situation which basically forced my life down a road I didn’t want to take. This has cost me financially over the years and still costs me to the present day and is also one I could barely afford. It left me feeling uncomfortable and anxious, and to this very day, my quality of life is still plagued by it. I tried to take control once, but failed miserably. I explained calmly to my parents what I wanted to change, but it caused eruptions and naturally caused a lot of stress and anxiety for me. I was the selfish son only thinking about myself, they didn’t speak to me properly for months and refused to talk to me about my needs and how the situation was affecting my life. I was trapped, frustrated and angry by the actions of my parents.

Six months on and I met someone. This was a much needed distraction from what had happened, but the situation was always in the back of my mind, niggling and biting away at me. That someone became my soul mate and we eventually got engaged to be married. It did happen quickly, but I was happy and hadn’t felt that in a long time. Needless to say I wanted to share my joy with my parents even though the relationship was still stale with them. My partner and I went to the house where my parents lived and they were in the midst of having lunch. There was an awkward silence at first which I broke by saying, “I have some great news?” They just sat there and continued to eat… “I’ve gotten engaged!” I said….. They didn’t even raise their heads and congratulate me.

The tension was UNBEARABLE!… I just stood there waiting for a response, my eyes filling with tears and I could feel my anger and anxieties building up. This is not what I expected. I just turned away in embarrassment with my partner and left.

Since then and up-to the present day, the relationship between myself, my partner and my parents has gradually improved, even though the situation that was dictated by them all those years ago still has its effects on my marriage and lifestyle today. Finances are tight, it causes arguments between me and my partner, which has led me into making decisions and making mistakes, causing even more stress and anxiety whilst trying simply to put things right.

When I look back, I haven’t truly led an unhappy life, but my life has always had the habit of steering into stressful and anxious times that again leads me down an uncontrollable  path, where I have developed bitterness and anger towards certain individuals…… Including my partner!

If you’ve read this far, thank you.

Maybe I am weak and let people walk all over me?

I am tired of people controlling my life, causing me unwanted anxiety and stress. I stress myself out for not having the nerve to say NO! once in a while. Maybe my life would be different and you’d think I’d be a stronger person today?, but I only feel weak. Anxiety is a part of my everyday life, it wears me down, I struggle to communicate with people I don’t know… infact I’d rather avoid them and everything.If I was a stronger person, I would leave them all behind today, start a new life and spend the rest of my life exactly how I want to…. All by myself!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, I look forward tohearing youhave made ot your plan of action , paul. Will not be easy and you need to help find accommodation for your parents, without! Letting them obstruct you in any way. It will be a diffifult road but one that has a good happy destination. The journey willbe worth the arrival. Startnow, even a small beginning. Be sure of what youwant toachieve, write it down good luck.
  • Posted

Sorry my message was half missing.. It meant to say.. 

It's hard to say no & be assertive when your riddled with anxiety .. 

Family's are hard work, .. sad 

also I believe if we stood up for ourselves more often people wouldn't take us for granted & domineer us ... 

I wish you all the luck & health & happiness ... 

Stay true to yourself .. X 

Hollie xx 

• Posted

Hope all is going well. "Today is the first day of the rest of your life". smile
  • Posted

Hi Paul, I certainly don't think that you are weak at all, you have just always tried to please other people and make them happy, this is a trait that shows you are a caring person which is something to be proud of...

Try and change your life from tomorrow, face the world with your head held high, you are worth as much as anyone else. Wipe the slate clean of your disappointments and start a new chapter.  Try to realise that everybody worries about what others think of them, treat people kindly and you can't go wrong.....I am sure that you have much to offer , so make the most of it and truly believe in yourself.   Wishing you the very best, please be kind to yourself. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.