I can't believe my Test results

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello guys, I am already posted here before but I am starting this new discussion because only few people are responding to my old post so I will give a bit information about myself. I am a 22 year old MALE, a uni student who is struggling with day to day life. I have been feeing tired, lethargic, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, cold hands and feets etc for the last 5 years, so finally after so many blood tests and everything coming back normal, I decided to see a private endocrinologist who asked me to get a range of blood tests done, which if done privately would cost me more than £500 but thankfully by pushing my GP to the limit i got it all done at the NHS and below is the update about my blood tests. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!

As I said in my old post before I called my surgery to ask for my test result couple of days ago and they said eveything is normal. So I went down there to collect a copy of my result and guess what my T3, T4 and TSH all are normal BUT I am vitamin D deficient. My vitamin D is 21 nmol/L (Range: 80 - 150nmol/L). Is this the root cause of all my problems? Why didn't my GP call me if they saw it clearly written as Vitamin D deficient? I had a huge collection of tests but I am only putting the things abnormal and also my thyroid function (which is normal):

Serum free T4 level - 12.5 pmol/L (Range: 9 - 19pmol/L)

Serum TSH level - 2.23 mu/L (Range: 0.30 - 5mu/L)

Serum free T3 level - 4.50 pmol/L (3.25 - 6.21pmol/L)

Abonormal Tests

25 OH Vitamin D - 21 nmol/L (Range: 80 - 150nmol/L) - - - - Deficient

Mean corpusc. Hb. conc. (MCHC) - 357 g/L (Range: 310 - 350g/L) - - - Higher

Serum Iron level - 35 umol/L (Range: 14 - 30umol/L) - - - Higher

Serum folate - 3.9 ug/L (Range: 4 - 18ug/L) - - - -Deficient

Serum Vitamin B12 590 ng/L (Range: 200 - 1000ng/L) - - - - -NORMAL

Can anyone give me their take on this?

Thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there just a quick observation you said you took vit B as it was low, Did you stop taking it once you got back to normal?   If so carry on taking it in a spray 500mcg or similar to keep it topped up your level is normal but you may find you feel better if it is in the higher range.

Some althletes take high levels of b12 , so 500mcg a day will not hurt you and it can help with tiredness.  Especially if you have stopped taking it after a long period of continued use.

h.

• Posted

I'm not medically qualified but have read that vit D and calcium work together. So if you are deficient in vit D your calcium levels are likely to also be affected. For calcium to be absorbed by the body one needs calcium, vit D and magnesium levels to be ok. So it's worth having the levels of calcium and mmagnesium checked. Ask your doctor whether there are any other checks he would advise. Try and get an appointment as soon as possible. Once the blood tests have been taken, start taking vit D, calcium and magnesium. Dolomite tablets come with calcium & magnesium, so if you take these you just need to take vit D as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.